Sponsored

Mopar Begins Selling Wall Charger in Preparation for Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Electric

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Rivian starts at $69k so why would a Sport start at $80k?
Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Rivian is a start up and a ne needs to consider the cost savings on not needing ICE components such as that engine, Transmission and transfer case. Plus you can save by not needing body on frame.

It would likely be a redesigned vehicle and itā€™s not like an established manufacturer canā€™t build an electric vehicle from the ground up. Tesla has provided the blueprint for free. Itā€™s only a matter of time before all manufacturers go electric as it saves on paying penalties through CAFE and more involved the quicker the infrastructure is built to coexist or completely replace gas stations.

200 is short but new technology keeps pushing that.

I keep hearing itā€™s a box on wheels yet the diesel gets near 30 and that was considered impossible. :)

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
In the 80s I got my license. Dream car was a 69 Camaro SS that got a whopping 8 miles to the gallon. Runner up was a 76 Corvette not within reach of my budget. Gas mileage was better. Not by much. Finally got an 89 Corvette that got 27 plus on the highway. Today my Durango RT gets 22 at 80. All do poorly in stop and go. Moral of my tale is that with technology ICE has improved. So will batteries. Using today as a barrier to why we shouldnā€™t go electric is like saying that 69 SS was reason to go back to riding horses because they didnā€™t need gas, pooped on the go and hay was plentiful. Yet todayā€™s electric sedans do the quarter mile in the time that SS took to go 60. Progress is good but can only be achieved if we start it. ;)

Last edited:

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
In the 80s I got my license. Dream car was a 69 Camaro SS that got a whopping 8 miles tot he gallon. Runner up was a 76 Corvette note within reach of my budget. Gas mileage was better. Not by much. Finally got an 89 Corvette that got 27 plus on the highway. Today my Durango RT gets 22 at 80. All do poorly in stop and go. Moral of my tale is that with technology ICE has improved. So will batteries. Using today as a barrier to why we shouldnā€™t go electric is like saying that 69 SS was reason to go back riding horses because they didnā€™t need gas, pooped in the go and hay was plentiful. Yet todayā€™s electric sedans do the quarter mile in the time that SS took to go 60. Progress is good but can only be achieved if we start it. ;)
Couldnt agree more. However i will be watching on the sidelines with my ICE until graphene or better battery technology comes out and i can do 1000 miles without a recharge. Don't forget you still need to charge the batteries and that energy needs to come from somewhere. 60-70% of our infrastructure is still combustion based and lithium is highly toxic to those who mine and process it so right now the feel good aspect of it all the electric car industry is pretty much a larp. I mean i get the fact that people have to buy in order to further the process. But im just not that guy. Especially on my rig when im out wheeling far away from home and im really depending on the vehicle.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I get the concern with infrastructure but deploying electric opens new venues like charging at work, while shopping or stopped at a light. Iā€™m charging my phone without plugging it in. Not the most efficient but keeps my phone near 100% all day and I could run at 80 to extend battery life yet choose to be ready should the grid go down.

Donā€™t know about 1000 mike range plus not available today on ICE but I get how overlanders would appreciate the reach yet installing remote solar powered charging station more realistic than adding gas stations and threads the lightest. I know life that far from civilization might improve were electric to muffle the sounds of diesel and gas engines.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I get the concern with infrastructure but deploying electric opens new venues like charging at work, while shopping or stopped at a light. Iā€™m charging my phone without plugging it in. Not the most efficient but keeps my phone near 100% all day and I could run at 80 to extend battery life yet choose to be ready should the grid go down.
The range anxiety issue is really interesting to me. I mean, where is the nearest electricity? About 3' away from me. Where is the nearest gas station? A couple blocks away. You could be 100 miles from a gas station, and still have powerlines right next to the road.

I know this doesn't help with actually charging a vehicle, but I can't help but appreciate the irony.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
The range anxiety issue is really interesting to me. I mean, where is the nearest electricity? About 3' away from me. Where is the nearest gas station? A couple blocks away. You could be 100 miles from a gas station, and still have powerlines right next to the road.

I know this doesn't help with actually charging a vehicle, but I can't help but appreciate the irony.
You can fill a car with 20 gallons of gas in 2 minutes and rive across country virtually non stop assuming you have several drivers. This is currently completely impossible with electric for the foreseeable future.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
You can fill a car with 20 gallons of gas in 2 minutes and rive across country virtually non stop assuming you have several drivers. This is currently completely impossible with electric for the foreseeable future.
O...K?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
O...K?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
You stated electricity is all over the place : True.

it takes 8-12 hours to charge electric vehicles vs . 2 minutes currently on a fill up. Pretty big gap. No?

And we haven't even gotten into thermal implications yet .

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

it takes 8-12 hours to charge electric vehicles vs . 2 minutes currently on a fill up. Pretty big gap. No?

Reread the last line.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
No irony. Just change. Thatā€™s the irony. LoL

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance

Fast chargers can bring a vehicle to 80% in 30 minutes. Just long enough to go pee and eat something. 300 miles is a long time between stops. I can appreciate the extra 28 minutes to do other things while I recharge my own batteries and give my back a break. LoL

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
So it sounds then like you agree with me then.
Of course I agree with the statement in post 61. I doubt anyone would disagree. What has me confused is that it reads like a counterpoint to an argument that I didn't make.
Sponsored