First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Two close calls in less than a week. Currently, I just have the factory front. I'm looking for suggestions for a basic, but sturdy, guard that will allow me to go through the deer without much damage. Any recommendations?
Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Quick story about deer:
Wife was jumpy about hitting deer on her way home from work, so for a Christmas gag I bought her a set of these:
DO NOT BUY.JPG

So we stick the things on, and I shit you not, the First night she drove home with them on, she hit a nice 8-pt & almost totaled the car.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Quick story about deer:
Wife was jumpy about hitting deer on her way home from work, so for a Christmas gag I bought her a set of these:
DO NOT BUY.JPG

So we stick the things on, and I shit you not, the First night she drove home with them on, she hit a nice 8-pt & almost totaled the car.
I had a pair on my Ram 3500 Aluminess drive thru bumper when I hit a deer. Passenger side unit broke off and I will not bother replacing it. Haha

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Quick story about deer:
DO NOT BUY.JPG

Deer calls.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Deer whistles have never helped anyone other than those that profit from the sales.

A solid deer hit at highway speed is going to cause damage, I don't care what you bolt onto the front. The best defense is vigalance and using your head. For example, don't be driving down a narrow country road at 65mph at dusk. Suicidal deer just love to jump out from behind the corn in front of you.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
If you want to keep your factory bumper, this might be worth considering. (No direct experience with it though)

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/front-35-bull-bar-jeep-wrangler-jl

It doesn't have very wide protection, but what seems nice about it is it extends out pretty far, increasing your crumple zone and likely won't be a damage multiplier - it's too low/short to easily bend back into the radiator/hood, etc.

Whatever you get, if it looks and feels "heavy duty", it can give the driver a sense of indestructibility, so they're less likely to make a dangerous maneuver like hard turning at speed, which could be more catastrophic than a bit of body damage and a new radiator.

Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Every day I go to work, I kid you not, I see 5-15 deer. I live in the high desert and they migrate through my yard. I have a steel bumper and pop, but IMHO, prevention is better - the more lights you have the better. At 55 I can not out drive my lights - I see their eyes well before they hit the "spot light" range. More expensive than a bumper but will say you money in the long run.

Also, I went "old school" with round spots which, in hind site, I think is cool but certainly stupid - I could have gotten a lot more lumens for the same price with a lot less wiring.

IMG_1853.jpg

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Every day I go to work, I kid you not, I see 5-15 deer. I live in the high desert and they migrate through my yard. I have a steel bumper and pop, but IMHO, prevention is better - the more lights you have the better. At 55 I can not out drive my lights - I see their eyes well before they hit the "spot light" range. More expensive than a bumper but will say you money in the long run.

Also, I went "old school" with round spots which, in hind site, I think is cool but certainly stupid - I could have gotten a lot more lumens for the same price with a lot less wiring.

IMG_1853.jpg
With that many lights you are probably blinding on coming traffic if you are on a road.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

With that many lights you are probably blinding on coming traffic if you are on a road.
good point - I go to the gym at 4am so I see a cat maybe every other week and I turn off well before it’s in range

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
since owning the jl i've too had a couple of close calls (20+) with the deer. i've manage to clip a back leg of one. no damage, other than a small skid mark in my shorts. i'm thinking of getting the arb classic style full width winch bumper that has the hoop. they are steel and is imo the best protection for the jeep.

the fist thing i did when i got the jl was swap out the halogen bulbs to the supernove v4 led headlights and fog lights. not only a big difference in lighting up and a wide spread. but i'm able to spot the deer from a distant and far off the side of the road.

those deer whistles are a pos. couple of my buddies had them and manage to mow down a deer or two. so they got ripped off and replaced with some led lights.

York-Jeep07

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2018 Rubicon with the plastic front bumper. Upgrade the plastic to the Fab Four bumper and a day later hit a buck going 45 with the family. Damage was only the fog light and alignment. Also bought the bumper when they were giving $200 rebate - so it made sense.

4182186E-0F08-4E05-976C-6D18450DD5BA.jpeg

6113F1DA-F67C-48C7-A44C-ACE43B6245E8.jpeg

8806F238-059C-4CF9-BEE3-F81B7D62D38D.jpeg
Sponsored