David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This part of the install not only wears you out physically it is downright mentally defeating —something seemingly so simple makes you feel like an idiot as you rewatch the video for the 10th time. As far as swearing at something this tops them all! I have never been so frustrated at something in my entire life.
Come on Macgyver... Rubber band and a paper clip should have been more than enough. :CWL:
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
In might be too late but I sprayed the rope and pick down with a soapy lubricant. Got the idea from the Northridge 4x4 install video. Worked great. The I had to give one tap on the puck with a screw driver to finish seating it.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
In might be too late but I sprayed the rope and pick down with a soapy lubricant. Got the idea from the Northridge 4x4 install video. Worked great. The I had to give one tap on the puck with a screw driver to finish seating it.
Oh now you tell us.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh now you tell us.
haha. sorry. I had watched a dozen how to videos and that is the only one I've seen do that. But it works. I soaked the line and the the puck and the whole in the drum with some really have soap/water solution in a spray bottle. Short fast tugs on the line got it about 90% in and then 1 tap with a screw driver on the puck and it was set.

Like I said, I think I was too late but I thought people should know. ;)

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
haha. sorry. I had watched a dozen how to videos and that is the only one I've seen do that. But it works. I soaked the line and the the puck and the whole in the drum with some really have soap/water solution in a spray bottle. Short fast tugs on the line got it about 90% in and then 1 tap with a screw driver on the puck and it was set.

Like I said, I think I was too late but I thought people should know. ;)
What soapy solution did you use? Will try to pull it through again tonight

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What soapy solution did you use? Will try to pull it through again tonight
I have some Adams brand super soap that goes in a foam cannon. I mixed it like 1:4 with water in an empty spray bottle (super concentrated) . Northridge said you could use 409... is that slippery? I'm sure anything super sudsy would work fine. And the soap will rinse out of the rope over time.

I soaped it up before. put it through. put the puck in. sprayed some more soap directly on the drum and puck. Spun the drum around so you're pulling strait through. Then when you pull, I used short firm tugs. Like I said, that got me about 90%. The puck was still sticking out a little so I stuck a screw driver in the slot and gave it 1 tap and it was in.

Gibby-NoVa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Dodge Durango SRT, 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 (sold), 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Can you please post the link for the video at Northridge 4x4 ? I looked but couldn't find it.

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
On the Northridge 4x4 video he attaches the fairlead to the bumper before mounting it back up on the frame. On every other video I've seen, they put it on after. It seems like the correct way is to put it on after though it's more of a pain.
Sponsored

Last edited: