First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I didn't use C clamps. Slide bumper back on, washers over posts, install brackets. All bolts started to assure proper location and positioning. Tighten a bit at a time, starting with bumper bolts to be sure bracket is tight up against bumper mounting flanges. A one man job.

Agree, easy install overall. I did end up temporarily removing the brackets the rear of the skid plate bolts to for easier access installing the lower tow loop bolt, or more specifically the nut inside the frame member.

Modifying the bumper and skid plate was also easy following the instructions. I used a 1.5" hole saw and a side grinder.
Sponsored

Rangerhughes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon 2 door, 2020 Mercedes AMG 45, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Dodge PW: 2017 Indian Chieftain
Yea once I tightened the 17mm and 3/4 bolts on the side I was able to remove the C clamp and spacers stayed in place, so no trying wiggle them in as one is trying to get the bumper on.

The 1.5" Hole Saw didn't work for me, so I just used cutting wheel on the grinder and dremel, then cleaned up the edges with a sanding wheel.

Next step will be lights/wiring harness , still trying to decide between Mopar or Cool Tech. I have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk set for flat towing behind the Tiffin but bought the Wrangler to take on hunting trips. The Trailhawk is set up with a Blue Ox mount and Mopar wiring harness and works great.

Im open to ideas on the wiring harness, so let them fly!

The Maximus Blue Ox Adapter are out of stock so Im waiting on them as well'
https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-blue-ox-adapters-lugs

My winch and Maximus fairlead should be in sometime next week and I will have disassemble/reassemble the bumper again (yea me!)

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Next step will be lights/wiring harness , still trying to decide between Mopar or Cool Tech...

Im open to ideas on the wiring harness, so let them fly!

The Maximus Blue Ox Adapter are out of stock so Im waiting on them as well'
https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-blue-ox-adapters-lugs
There is an alternative to the Maximus 3 adapters you can purchase directly from Blue Ox, Maximus even gave me the part number, BX88303.

JEEP GENERATION has a great video on U-Tube covering the installation of the Cooltech wire harness, which is the route I went. Very straight forward, I had no challenges in following the instructions, everything works as intended. For what it's worth, Cooltech has now eliminated the superfluous "red wire" you'll see in the video.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
LOCKING HITCH PINS is a great suggestion for anyone towing any vehicle. Not only are there people who look to steal towed vehicles, but more likely are disenchanted truck drivers who hate RV'ers that have been known to pull pins in rest stops and truck stops out of spite - and I'm sure there's a few simply mean-spirited people who do the same. I still walk do a walkaround after stopping to check everything before getting out on the highway, but having locking pins means I don't have to worry about that.
I have ordered a couple locking pins after my last road trip and I will suggest having any spare hitch pin as a great idea too. The other night when hooking up to tow home I found I only had one hitch pin. It takes a pair and one 1/2" dia. pin was MIA. I was thinking I was safe with an extra receiver hitch pin but it was 5/8" dia. DOH! Luckily a 6” long 3/8" ratchet extension and a couple vise grips got me safely 200 miles home.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Lock...MIrcjV8rHH5wIVQRh9Ch2Kcg_JEAYYAiABEgKSePD_BwE

Last edited:

Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Hopefully you flat towers can provide some feedback....It really seems the cost of a trailer and a flat tow setup are about the same. Why are so many of you flat towing instead of just using a trailer? Wouldn't a trailer cause less wear and tear on the Jeep? I am wondering if there is something I am missing?

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully you flat towers can provide some feedback....It really seems the cost of a trailer and a flat tow setup are about the same. Why are so many of you flat towing instead of just using a trailer? Wouldn't a trailer cause less wear and tear on the Jeep? I am wondering if there is something I am missing?
Got to have someplace to store the trailer when not in use. Even if you have space at home, many campgrounds and RV parks do not. It's another piece of equipment that needs to be maintained.
Set up is much more involved and from my point of view, a giant PITA, especially if trying to do it in the rain, mud, etc. As for cost, I doubt you'll get a quality trailer with the proper weight rating for less than the cost of setting up you Jeep, especially if you can do the install yourself.

I have much less than $1500 invested in my toad set up including the tow loops, new Airforce One and toad wire harness. Yes, I did the installation myself. Setup is maybe 5 minutes and I'm on the road.

If I did hard core metal mashing off road I'd probably have a trailer so I had a way to get the carnage home but this is the 4th Jeep I've flat towed and I've had zero toad related wear or breakdown issues with any of them.

Rangerhughes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon 2 door, 2020 Mercedes AMG 45, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Dodge PW: 2017 Indian Chieftain
1. Weight is the biggest issue
2. Footprint, depending on size of trailer
3. Extra storage or parking space needed at the RV Park

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
1. Weight is the biggest issue
2. Footprint, depending on size of trailer
3. Extra storage or parking space needed at the RV Park
Thanks for the reply guys....

I'm looking at aluminum 18 ft trailers (1300 lbs) and it'll be about 4-5k, which is obviously higher than flat towing, but a lot of benefits. One of the main reasons I want to trailer is for the reason stated above, if something breaks, I still can get the jeep home. Also, I'd be able to throw my kids honda 50's on the trailer as well. We have a large storage place that we'll be renting so it'll fit in there as well.

The extra storage at the campground is my biggest concern. However, a lot of the places we go are very popular for jeeps and atvs so there tends to be trailer parking.

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
where did you get the locking pins?
I used tractor pins, and drilled through them to create a hole which I put a padlock through. Should be able to find the pins at a farm supply store...

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Thanks for the reply guys....

I'm looking at aluminum 18 ft trailers (1300 lbs) and it'll be about 4-5k, which is obviously higher than flat towing, but a lot of benefits. One of the main reasons I want to trailer is for the reason stated above, if something breaks, I still can get the jeep home. Also, I'd be able to throw my kids honda 50's on the trailer as well. We have a large storage place that we'll be renting so it'll fit in there as well.

Make sure that trailer is rated to carry both your Jeep and the Honda 50's weight...typical aluminum trailers of that size I've had aren't rated high enough for the 5K+ lbs that would be...

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oops - not sure why, but my response to MojitoJLUR looks like it's part of his original post...

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Tonight I was test fitting the Jeep behind my motorhome to see how the Maximus tow hooks would work.

I discovered an issue with the safety cable donnections. I had planned on using the D ring shackle going thru the loop of the safety cable. This won't work with my 5/8" shackle. The loop is too small.
I went to Amazon to find a solution for attaching the cable to the D ring shackle, and found this setup:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G85Q75J/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_NUltEbFPXSCV8
Screenshot_20200218-224005_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The specs look good, but something doesn't seem right using a rope for a safety connection. Is this a legitimate option?

What other options are there for attaching the safety cable? The cable has a loop on either end and typically uses a small quicklink, but that will not fit in the Maximus hole.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tonight I was test fitting the Jeep behind my motorhome to see how the Maximus tow hooks would work.

I discovered an issue with the safety cable connections. I had planned on using the D ring shackle going thru the loop of the safety cable. This won't work with my 5/8" shackle. The loop is too small.
I went to Amazon to find a solution for attaching the cable to the D ring shackle, and found this setup:

The specs look good, but something doesn't seem right using a rope for a safety connection. Is this a legitimate option?

What other options are there for attaching the safety cable? The cable has a loop on either end and typically uses a small quicklink, but that will not fit in the Maximus hole.
I'd be concerned the ropes are snatch-type - much more stretching before pulling than a safety cable. If the tow bar broke how far would the Jeep lag before those ropes snatched it back into the back of the coach?
All my safety cables I've ever had a have a hook on the end with a spring-loaded clip to hold them in the D-rings. Might look at CW for a Roadmaster set of cables - they have some that have a hook on one end and the link on the other (which could be clipped onto the coach hitch)...I have cables with hooks on both ends that Blue Ox vendors usually sell. You can also buy larger links that will still go through the cable but also go around the D-ring.
upload_2020-2-18_23-15-53.png
Sponsored