Sponsored

The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Jalopnik is the national enquirer of the automotive world, Every February the news comes out the convertibles have dipped in sales, and every summer they make it up. Granted, the JL and JT ARE overpriced, and there is probably a bit more inventory than truly needed, but I don't think there is reason for concern.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
When they launched the Gladiator they used the most expensive models. Approaching $60,000 !!
That certainly didn't help. Now they are trying to play 'catch up'.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
So, I sell CDJR, Chevy, and GMC products. I can tell you the mid-size truck market is struggling in all brands. With the rebates and discounts on full-size trucks. You can buy a fullsize crew/cab truck for the same or less than a mid-size one. The little trucks very rarely have any rebate on them, and when they do it's not very much. Fullsize trucks are a way better deal.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
It doesn't help the appeal that all the YouTube Jeep channels are buying them and turning them in to overlanders with ugly graphics and thousands of dollars of aftermarket add-ons.
And I think most people buy a pickup truck for utility. Jeep would sell more of them by showing people using them to haul dirt bikes and kayaks and piles of mulch and towing boats...
But instead they bring in Bill Murray to do a groundhog day remake...

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Jalopnik is the national enquirer of the automotive world, Every February the news comes out the convertibles have dipped in sales, and every summer they make it up. Granted, the JL and JT ARE overpriced, and there is probably a bit more inventory than truly needed, but I don't think there is reason for concern.
No, its def struggling...just lift your head up and look around guy

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS

RobTrachtman

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttleclickchrysler.com
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Fleet Manager Tuttle Click Jeep Chrysler Dodge Hyundai

Hi,

I agree, sales of the Gladiator are not as brisk as Toyota Tacoma for sure, but it is much more of a niche vehicle and working at the dealership level at Jeep for 28 years, Its more important to have the loyal fan base then volume sometimes.. Toyota makes a great truck (segment leader) but it doesn't have the flavor that a Jeep has.. Lets keep Jeep exclusive for us offroaders!

By the way I am still receiving orders for 5 percent under invoice on on JL's and Jt's here at my store.

Sponsored

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
The Gladiator is pretty cool IMO. The Rubicons look best, they need big tires to look good. There's definitely a market for them. I see tons of them on the road by me, but I'm close to Auburn Hills haha!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The JL and JT have been selling just fine. More than I would've expected in fact. The real issue is FCA has overproduced both the JL and JT and options are way too bloated price wise. If they were on a 5 day factory production like they used to be with JKs there wouldn't be many Jeeps on the lots. They need to cut production.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The Gladiator is pretty cool IMO. The Rubicons look best, they need big tires to look good. There's definitely a market for them. I see tons of them on the road by me, but I'm close to Auburn Hills haha!
Having seen a bunch in person, I actually think they look fantastic in sport trim. It's one of the first more reasonably shaped/sized pickups I've seen since the Ford Ranger lol. Everything seems to want to be a tonka truck! The GM monstrosities in particular look kinda ridiculous.

If I were chasing styling perfection I would've made the back window a little smaller. I'm sure they did it for visibility reasons, but.. yeah the giant back window on the hardtop makes the rear look kinda funny.

Stepping back a bit, I think FCA got too greedy and priced the JL/JT too high. I mean that's pretty obvious lol.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Better payload with the Power Wagon as well.
Not really that far off. The PW payload is terrible due to the soft springs.

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
too expensive.

less capable than a jl or jlu

bed isnt big enough to be used like a real truck

i figure folks buy these mostly because they want a jeep truck, basically a jeep that looks like a truck. in a way its like the diesel. the reason you buy a diesel is for increased towing, torque, but the diesel is limited by the suspension, not the motor. and the diesel costs too much also. i expect to see similar sales (or lack there of) of the diesel because like the truck, some folks wanted a diesel (cant blame them it is a cool idea) but you dont get a lot of useful differences between the diesel and the other available power plants.
Sponsored