Sponsored

Better QC Outcome From Custom Order?

Did Your Custom Order Jeep Have A Good QC Outcome?

• Total voters

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Please answer this poll if you had a custom order, rather than from a dealer's inventory.

I ordered my 2020 JLUR and was surprised when the window sticker was personalized and had our names on it. We have had zero issues with the Jeep since September (about 5,000 km). This made me curious.

Does have a customer's name on the order, so that the workers and QC people know who the Jeep is being made for, improve assembly quality?
Sponsored

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
I doubt if it makes any differance, However, if noted as a fellow employee of FCA =It might ????

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
When Jeeps first stated shipping out. I noticed a lot more of the problematic Jeeps were Custom Orders. If that tells you anything.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Mine is a custom order and is being bought back. That said, I’m ordering the replacement :like:. I think it’s just luck of the draw.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My guess is the only person that know's it was built for a customer and not a dealership is the person that is taping the window sticker to the inside of the vehicle.
A lot of the JL is built way before any glass is installed. There is a yellow SOLD sticker with bar code and VIN applied on the front lower left windshield at a certain point. From that point forward everyone knows it's a customer order.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When Jeeps first stated shipping out. I noticed a lot more of the problematic Jeeps were Custom Orders. If that tells you anything.
It does not mean a thing. They were probably more problematic because early production had to be tweaked. The line and suppliers were still trying to get things right.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt if it makes any differance, However, if noted as a fellow employee of FCA =It might ????
Does not make a difference. There are thousands of steps and countless employees who touch the end product. Suppliers supply parts. Line workers assemble with and without fixtures. Robots assemble. A robot won't know or care who ordered it.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
the robotic steps will not care as it is running though a set of programmed steps, line workers are under pressure to do their task in x amount of time allotted to them else the line stops, so even if they know its a customer order they probably don't care because in the end they all get sold to someone

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I think the primary benefit of custom ordering would be less time spent sitting on the lot. My Jeep after 16k miles, quite a bit of trails, and 2 kids is in better cosmetic shape than many I saw on dealer lots. Batteries slowly draining, seals slowly drying, minimal protection from the elements are *probably* not ideal. I skipped on an amazing deal so I could have the warm fuzzies of getting it right off the truck - but this was a big purchase for me and my first brand new car that I plan on keeping forever. Probably doesn't make a measurable difference but I'm glad I did it.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Absolutely not, custom ordered mine..... The head has been off the vehicle twice for Loud Ticking Sound and then a bad valve cover seal leaking oil onto an o2 sensor causing massive misfires on the highway, CEL came on at 500 miles for a bad wiring harness that was replaced, vehicle had strong pull to the right which was fixed with an alignment, and currently I am leaking oil from a bad Rear Main Seal.....

My custom ordered Rubicon has been a complete piece of shit, lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely not, custom ordered mine..... The head has been off the vehicle twice for Loud Ticking Sound and then a bad valve cover seal leaking oil onto an o2 sensor causing massive misfires on the highway, CEL came on at 500 miles for a bad wiring harness that was replaced, vehicle had strong pull to the right which was fixed with an alignment, and currently I am leaking oil from a bad Rear Main Seal.....

My custom ordered Rubicon has been a complete piece of shit, lol.
Actual internal engine issues are rare. Older 3.6 motors had some bad valve train components but I thought those issues were worked out before the JL. You mentioned "head" as in singular. You have the 2.0?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No I have the 3.6, they only needed to work on the passenger side of the engine hence using "head" instead of heads.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I don’t think it matters either. I ordered mine and had a couple of things you hear about, so not great, but not bad...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I have the 3.6, they only needed to work on the passenger side of the engine hence using "head" instead of heads.
What was the ticking in you engine? Lifter, roller?

I assumed they corrected the fairly common ticking and valve train problems of the Pentastar. Guess I was wrong. I found this youtube video of a new 3.6 with valve train failure. Ticking valve train and seized roller bearing on the same engine you have.

This is a link to a JK Pentastar with the ticking. They had the ticking and coincidentally leaking rear seal.

https://adventurebent.com/pentastar-tick-returns/

I hope they repair or replace your JL. Good Luck.
Sponsored

Last edited: