Sponsored

Jeep won't cover engine if i do my own oil changes.

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Cares,

Can you give an estimate on how long it will take for FCA to provide a response on the question:

What impact does putting 6 quarts of oil in the JL 3.6 Pentastar have? In cases where the customer can prove the dealership did this (some cases they did it & argued w/ customer that 6 qts is correct & other cases the dealership put in 6 & lied about doing so) will FCA support the customer? Please respond. Thank you.
Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Jeep Cares,

Can you give an estimate on how long it will take for FCA to provide a response on the question:

What impact does putting 6 quarts of oil in the JL 3.6 Pentastar have? In cases where the customer can prove the dealership did this (some cases they did it & argued w/ customer that 6 qts is correct & other cases the dealership put in 6 & lied about doing so) will FCA support the customer? Please respond. Thank you.
If you think FCA is going to voluntarily admit theyā€™ve screwed up thousands of engines, youā€™re crazy. Do some basic research and and use some basic common sense on what adding a extra quart (especially if it was with the JK oil type since it was different) of oil to an engine does over thousands of miles. Itā€™s not good. The most I found anywhere in my research from credible, and lesser known, sources was at most .4 qts is about the limit of what you can push an overage without doing damage. So, even if thatā€™s off by half, youā€™re still looking at 1qt being so far over it is impossible to accept any other conclusion than your engine experiences a negative impact on the dealerā€™s hands. I canā€™t imagine how Jeep has seemed to mess his up so bad across so many states. How can they not have a better trained staff that they mess up oil changes? It is scary.

Jeep Cares.... we know you did it, just admit it and make it right! I would be happy to let you fix your mistake and move forward as a Jeep customer, possibly always buying a Wrangler for the rest of my life. If you do not handle this the right way, I promise no vehicle I purchase for my family, kids, grandkids some day down the road will be a Jeep product. Call my bluff... Iā€™ll see you in court and get mine anyway (I have way too much proof on video and otherwise to have a chance of losing). The real question is do you want to handle this for the limited upset customers who have noticed and keep it quiet or do you want to risk this becoming a class action involving a lot more people?

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
You know, call me crazy (wife does) but I'll change my own old and use the brand I like, the best filter I can buy and I know it's done right. I can understand if you can't for whatever reason, but IF I couldn't do my own, i have a mechanic or two that I trust and they would do it along with any issues that would/could come up. Is it more expensive or time consuming? Well, free oil change is great till that time they screw up, and it takes me less time to do my oil than it would take to drive into the dealership, get a number, wait, go through the BS - need to get your cabin filter, air filter, muffer bearings, blinker fluid etc done. Now get off my lawn, Matlock is going on.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Jeep Cares,

Thank you for tagging us in this thread. We have documented this and made the appropriate parties aware of your concerns. Your dealers are equipped with the proper resources to correctly perform maintenance on the JL Wrangler. If you are in need of support while in service, please send our team a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If you think FCA is going to voluntarily admit theyā€™ve screwed up thousands of engines, youā€™re crazy. Do some basic research and and use some basic common sense on what adding a extra quart (especially if it was with the JK oil type since it was different) of oil to an engine does over thousands of miles. Itā€™s not good. The most I found anywhere in my research from credible, and lesser known, sources was at most .4 qts is about the limit of what you can push an overage without doing damage. So, even if thatā€™s off by half, youā€™re still looking at 1qt being so far over it is impossible to accept any other conclusion than your engine experiences a negative impact on the dealerā€™s hands. I canā€™t imagine how Jeep has seemed to mess his up so bad across so many states. How can they not have a better trained staff that they mess up oil changes? It is scary.

Jeep Cares.... we know you did it, just admit it and make it right! I would be happy to let you fix your mistake and move forward as a Jeep customer, possibly always buying a Wrangler for the rest of my life. If you do not handle this the right way, I promise no vehicle I purchase for my family, kids, grandkids some day down the road will be a Jeep product. Call my bluff... Iā€™ll see you in court and get mine anyway (I have way too much proof on video and otherwise to have a chance of losing). The real question is do you want to handle this for the limited upset customers who have noticed and keep it quiet or do you want to risk this becoming a class action involving a lot more people?
FCA did not over fill the oil. Incompetent independent dealers did. I do feel FCA should hold the independent dealers responsible and liable if over-filling oil does damage engines. Unfortunately I can see FCA pointing the finger back at the independent dealers and leaving customers hanging.

Oil change procedures are simple and easily taught and learned. The actual procedure is simple but a dumb mistake can be catastrophic. Many things can go very wrong during a oil change. Loose oil plugs, stripped oil plugs, missing oil plug gasket rings, loose filers, wrong oil, too little or too much oil, forgetting to add oil, etc. Trust me, it's rare but everyone of these issues has happened on occasion to unsuspecting customers. The key is teaching someone to the procedure properly. The problem is incompetent service managers who take oil changes for granted. They fail to train the person doing oil changes properly. I say "person" doing the oil change because 99% of the time it is NOT a genuine qualified Tech. The person doing oil changes is usually a entry level employee that barely knows how to tighten a oil plug properly. It's sad but true.

I would definitely document and have the dealer give you something in writing stating they did indeed over fill by mistake. At least there is a paper trail documenting what happened.

Last edited:

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thank you for tagging us in this thread. We have documented this and made the appropriate parties aware of your concerns. Your dealers are equipped with the proper resources to correctly perform maintenance on the JL Wrangler. If you are in need of support while in service, please send our team a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
There are many reports from all different dealers, all over the country, of overfilling oil. All dealers are obviously not informing their staff about proper oil change procedures. At the VERY LEAST, FCA should send every dealer / service manager a extra service bulletin warning about proper oil fill and procedures for EACH engine.

This still has not been answered after many inquires. What is FCA's opinion about potential engine damage if a engine was overfilled with a extra quart of oil?

Last edited:

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
If you don't change your own oil, you will never know what oil was put in and exactly how much . Ok, so your engine gets messed up and you have the records from the dealer to make your warranty claim to smoother. Id rather do it myself and know it's done right. Then the chance of there even being an engine issue in the first place is slim to none.

It's so easy, there's really no reason not to. When I have gone to the dealer for an issue , they always remind me I have 4 free oil changes still . I would gladly give these away to anyone if I could.

These forum posts always reassure me that changing my own oil is the best course of action.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is a 2020. My first oil change I did myself a bit early as I Drove my JLUR across the country in December. My Dealer called me last week to remind me that my first service is at 8000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 12000km now. I went into the dealer and asked what the service entails and they said it was an oil change. I mentioned I did it myself, logged it and kept the receipts for proof. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if I have any engine problems down the road that jeep will not cover any warranty work on it. It's the 3.6l. I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
Don't know about Canada, but here in the States we have the Magnuson Moss Act....which essentially states that if the Warranty requires Manufacture Specific parts and lubrication for maintenance during the warranty period, then the manufacturer will be financially responsible for said parts, lubrication and labor for the duration of the warranty. I would contact Jeep directly, bypass the dealer and find out what the real story is. Also look in your warranty documentation, it should spell it out there.

Good Luck!

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is a 2020. My first oil change I did myself a bit early as I Drove my JLUR across the country in December. My Dealer called me last week to remind me that my first service is at 8000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 12000km now. I went into the dealer and asked what the service entails and they said it was an oil change. I mentioned I did it myself, logged it and kept the receipts for proof. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if I have any engine problems down the road that jeep will not cover any warranty work on it. It's the 3.6l. I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
I contacted my local jeep dealer and was told as long as I keep record of the oil change and keep receipts, it was not an issue.... it did not void warranty....

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Has anyone experienced and documented damage to their engine that can be attributed to overfilling 1 quart by a dealer? What type of damage?

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
You can do ALL of your maintenance on your Jeep or Corvette or __________, however you need PROOF of action, what you bought, where, what you paid a bill of sale and in today's world I would STRONGLY suggest pics and if its something that goes beyond a common oil/filter change that you have some proof of experience in doing that.

Bear in mind not all dealer mechs are as good as they and the dealer says. I took my new car back to the dealer and it was only 3 weeks old. I told the Service writer the right rear wheel bearing is failing and it needs to be replaced. He drove it and said you don't know what you are talking about. YES I DO! Finally got the Senior house Mech and the Service Manager in the car and told them to drive across the parking lot...NOPE, nothing wrong with your car. OK, give each of you, your card and cell fone #. 6 weeks later I called each one of them and I over Greenville Tx, come get my car. Well, we don't wrecker your car at our expensive outside of the Fort Worth service area, you have to pay to get it flatbed. I WILL CHEERFULLY PAY any charge if it's not the right rear wheel bearing. The SM laughed and said IF it is I will pay for everything.

They picked my car brought me back then took me home. Next day I great a call your car is ready, covered under warranty. They come to get me and I meet with all of them, turns out the guy who was the Service Mgr, was really filling in until they hired a new guy. He asked me: HOW did you know it was a failed right rear wheel bearing? Because of the sound, a certain tiny tic that you own hear at slow speeds. He said the 3 heard nothing! No, you heard it you just did not know what you were hearing. Then they offer me the job of Head of Service and I turned them down I knew they could notr pay me what I made.

Take away is you better know what you are doing and have an audit trail or you will end up getting denied warranty coverage, by the same token they don't always know as you do....

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I do all my maintenance, document it and retain the receipts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I do all my maintenance, document it and retain the receipts.
x2, and I photo the receipts too as they've got that disappearing ink thing down pretty well now :(

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You can do ALL of your maintenance on your Jeep or Corvette or __________, however you need PROOF of action, what you bought, where, what you paid a bill of sale and in today's world I would STRONGLY suggest pics and if its something that goes beyond a common oil/filter change that you have some proof of experience in doing that.

Bear in mind not all dealer mechs are as good as they and the dealer says. I took my new car back to the dealer and it was only 3 weeks old. I told the Service writer the right rear wheel bearing is failing and it needs to be replaced. He drove it and said you don't know what you are talking about. YES I DO! Finally got the Senior house Mech and the Service Manager in the car and told them to drive across the parking lot...NOPE, nothing wrong with your car. OK, give each of you, your card and cell fone #. 6 weeks later I called each one of them and I over Greenville Tx, come get my car. Well, we don't wrecker your car at our expensive outside of the Fort Worth service area, you have to pay to get it flatbed. I WILL CHEERFULLY PAY any charge if it's not the right rear wheel bearing. The SM laughed and said IF it is I will pay for everything.

They picked my car brought me back then took me home. Next day I great a call your car is ready, covered under warranty. They come to get me and I meet with all of them, turns out the guy who was the Service Mgr, was really filling in until they hired a new guy. He asked me: HOW did you know it was a failed right rear wheel bearing? Because of the sound, a certain tiny tic that you own hear at slow speeds. He said the 3 heard nothing! No, you heard it you just did not know what you were hearing. Then they offer me the job of Head of Service and I turned them down I knew they could notr pay me what I made.

Take away is you better know what you are doing and have an audit trail or you will end up getting denied warranty coverage, by the same token they don't always know as you do....
I guess I'm not as worried about the whole warranty thing. Push comes to shove, once an arbitrator/court is involved, they have to prove there was improper/no maintenance AND that was causal to the failure. A dealership just doesn't need that level of problem. If they can sell a warranty claim to the manufacturer, it's in their best interest, rather than fight the customer who is serious. Everyone just has too much to lose to push it to the legal level. So proof of any sale of oil, filter, etc., is pretty much just circumstantial evidence anyway.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided.

Furthermore, many states have consumer protection laws more stringent than Magnuson-Moss federal law.

I've had more things go wrong taking vehicles to the dealer than from my maintenance. I'll leave it at that.
Sponsored