Sponsored

does the rear wiper and defroster still Suck on the JL?

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
I deliver mail with my Jeep so I'm in it 4 hours a day. One of my pet peeves is the rear visibility when snow accumulates on the rear window and isn't melted of by the defroster or moved by the wiper. Can anyone with a new JL say if they feel this has improved?
Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
So far when it snows, the defroster and the better position of the wiper seem to do fine. The only thing I hate is that it easily gets dirty when the pavement is wet from snow. You constantly have to use the windshield wiper fluid to clean it (both front and back). Other than that, pretty good visibility.

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Both work great on mine. In fact, the wiper is particularly effective compared to any other vehicles I’ve had. The defroster starts working immediately and clears the window of fog in 30 seconds. I haven’t had to clear actual frost with it yet, but it gets warm to the touch very quickly, so I assume it will be very effective doing that as well.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They work great on mine. Then again, they still work great on my JKU, and it still even has the original rear windshield wiper blade!

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Wipers are great front and rear. I wouldn't know about the rear window defroster and heated mirrors because they don't work!!

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
The rear glass heater even has a zig-zag element under where the wiper parks, so if you have an icy wiper blade it melts it off. Works very well.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Completely off topic, but how exactly does the Mirror dimmer work? I turn it on and off and it always looks the same to me. Does it only work under certain conditions? I've tried it when the sun is right behind me and it looks the same, on or off. If this is in another thread, please link me

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Completely off topic, but how exactly does the Mirror dimmer work? I turn it on and off and it always looks the same to me. Does it only work under certain conditions? I've tried it when the sun is right behind me and it looks the same, on or off. If this is in another thread, please link me

The mirror is ‘smart’ enough to know the difference between sunlight and headlights. The sensor detects bright lights from behind, and darkens a LCD grid in front of the mirror glass. When dimmed, the bright lights become dimmer with a slight green hue. You can’t force the system on, it dims automatically, but you can override it to be off.

It won’t be as dramatic of a difference as a traditional dimming mirror. After having the feature in a Camaro and Challenger, I really do prefer the old school manual dim mirrors better. It reduces the light better.

GraffiX

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JL Sport S
Didn't want to start another post on a rear wiper question, as it may be similar to this post.
I am new to the Wrangler world, and wanted to now if it is normal to hear the rear wiper when it is working? No the actual rubber of the wiper on the window, when it is dry, but it sounds like the mechanism in the window that moves the wiper. TIA

Sponsored

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited V6
Not going to lie, a major pet peeve of mine is the noise of the rear wiper. I think the visibility and defroster are fine, but damn the wiper motor is LOUD :-/

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not going to lie, a major pet peeve of mine is the noise of the rear wiper. I think the visibility and defroster are fine, but damn the wiper motor is LOUD :-/

This just means the cabin is too quiet.