Ran 69

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl unlimited sport 4 door
Hello Everyone
I'm new to the jeep world and new to this forum Thank You for having me. My question is this.
I have a 2019 sport unlimited 4 door with the black plastic fenders normal bulb turn signals (non-LED). I bought a set of oem take off painted fenders off a 2018 jl sahara with LED turn signals. I know the fenders will mount up fine but what do I do about the LED turn signal? What does it take to make them work? Or do I just put the non-LED light in the painted fender? Thanks for any help
Ran
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Ran,
Short answer, a Tazer will make them work. Longer answer, your dealer *may* be able to help changing the settings to make them work, some have had success with the dealer. A Tazer will make them work without question. Just plugging them in will get the turn signals working, very likely with the hyper flashing in the dash and blub out warnings. The drl’s won’t work right.

I have halogen Rubicon flares on my Sport and the drl’s turn on with the side marker lights, I don’t know what will happen with the led’s.

Gregj

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Ran 69 so I was curious what would happen if I just plugged in the leds, so I did.

The leds behave the same as the halogen fender lights. Tried to post a video but the forum doesn’t like the file extension. The drl’s turn on with the side marker lights.

Gregj

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
@Ran 69 so I was curious what would happen if I just plugged in the leds, so I did.

The leds behave the same as the halogen fender lights. Tried to post a video but the forum doesn’t like the file extension. The drl’s turn on with the side marker lights.

Gregj
I'm doing the same thing you're doing. Putting LED fenders onto a Sport S that currently has non-LED fenders.

did it work by simply plugging them in? Sorry, I read your post but I'm still slightly confused if you needed to buy anything extra or not.

Also, I am putting on a Sahara bumper with LED fog lights and hoping I can simply plug those into the current non-LED connectors?

Thanks so much.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I just plugged in the led turn signals and they do flash like they should but you likely will get the hyper flash and bulb out warning in the dash. The drl’s won’t work as they should, they will turn on with the side marker lights. To get rid of the hyper flash and bulb out warning you will need to change the settings in the bcm with a Tazer or Flashcal.

The led fog lights will plug right in to the halogen wiring in the bumper as the wiring harness is the same for either light type, the steel bumper uses a different harness. Some people notice a flicker in the led fog lights when they replace the halogen bulbs, I have not. This is also fixed by changing the settings to led with a Tazer.

Gregj

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I have an extensive thread on this one over in the Recall forum! The LEDs side indicators may work initially, but they will eventually fail. Sometimes, a start/stop of the Jeep will get them working again, for a while. Mine usually fail after 6-10 uses. The failure mode is that the from LED indicators stop working, and you get the hyperflash on the indicators on your dash. The rear indicators will remain working.
A Tazer JL is the only solution right now. You can set the Front Indictor LEDs to Y, and that will make them work... until the dealer does something which requires them to set the computer, and then you need to do it again.
The dealer can get a code that they can use. The downside of that codes is, supposedly, it reduces power to all of your lighting systems. If you are all LED, no problem. Any non LED lights will be dimmer.

I have not checked that one out myself yet.
I also don't know if the Tazler JL is doing something different than this code. No answer from Tazer on that yet.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up a set of LED bulbs from the local parts store. I installed them and they light up just fine but won’t blink at all. I used my flashcal but it doesn’t seem to be helping. Any ideas?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Gave Superchips a call, according to them, this function only works with the stock LEDs. Lol, doesn’t make sense but my guess, he had no idea what he was talking about. Great tech support superchips!

Only thing I can think of that would make this true is maybe the stock LEDs draw more power then the ones I am using and therefore isn’t working....maybe?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Update. I just took back the led bulbs I bought. They were rated at 0.3 watts. I didn’t notice this before but the same store has some super bright LEDs same brand with a bigger heat sink and are heavier for sure. They draw 0.7 watts. So I’m thinking that maybe the 0.3 watts was too small or low of a draw and the tuner or Jeep didn’t see them at all and therefore didn’t blink. Even with the tuner. I’m wondering if it will with the 0.7 watt bulbs.

Does anyone know what the wattage is for the stock LED turn signals? I’m wondering if maybe the LEDs I am buying are just too weak to work and will require a bigger draw to be seen by the jeep.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
So another find. Looks like not all LEDs are created equal. Even though 7443 is a dual filament bulb, I guess not all LEDs are dual function. I read somewhere that a person used one similar to these, it worked on the parking lights but not turn signals. He flips them and they worked on turn signals but not the parking lights. So I guess I need to find a 7443 dual function LED light bulb.

Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I have an extensive thread on this one over in the Recall forum! The LEDs side indicators may work initially, but they will eventually fail. Sometimes, a start/stop of the Jeep will get them working again, for a while. Mine usually fail after 6-10 uses. The failure mode is that the from LED indicators stop working, and you get the hyperflash on the indicators on your dash. The rear indicators will remain working.
A Tazer JL is the only solution right now. You can set the Front Indictor LEDs to Y, and that will make them work... until the dealer does something which requires them to set the computer, and then you need to do it again.
The dealer can get a code that they can use. The downside of that codes is, supposedly, it reduces power to all of your lighting systems. If you are all LED, no problem. Any non LED lights will be dimmer.

I have not checked that one out myself yet.
I also don't know if the Tazler JL is doing something different than this code. No answer from Tazer on that yet.
Have you tired to put on a resistor to try to trick the computer?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Have you tired to put on a resistor to try to trick the computer?
I did not. I used the Tazer, and that resolved it. I would think a resistor would work. I don't know what current the systems is checking for when it disables the indicator lights.
Sponsored