Best sounding Cold Air Intake??

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I’m very happy with the Mopar CAI - the ability to open the hood outlet to allow outside air in was the major selling feature for me...others that leave the intake under the hood are simply high flow intakes not cold air intakes. YMMV

B7DF04F3-8E7C-45C2-8BA0-BFED4683ED81.jpeg

E71F5339-B27D-4385-8FC0-72D904E878CD.jpeg

83DD731A-C8C7-4013-81C1-359FBD91830C.jpeg

A0B407CB-F3CC-4494-AF4E-DE4BAF8EA396.jpeg
This is my next upgrade for sure. Currently have a K&N.

Am just so hesitant on cutting the hood.

Also, does the cold air over high flow really make that big of difference? Serious question.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m very happy with the Mopar CAI - the ability to open the hood outlet to allow outside air in was the major selling feature for me...others that leave the intake under the hood are simply high flow intakes not cold air intakes. YMMV

B7DF04F3-8E7C-45C2-8BA0-BFED4683ED81.jpeg

E71F5339-B27D-4385-8FC0-72D904E878CD.jpeg

83DD731A-C8C7-4013-81C1-359FBD91830C.jpeg

A0B407CB-F3CC-4494-AF4E-DE4BAF8EA396.jpeg
How are you still liking the Mopar, since you've lived with it awhile now? Any noises you don't like, or is it all good music through the powerband? One thing I really like about the Mopar is the ability to swap out the high flow filter with a high efficiency filter when going to a dusty place or off-road.

I know I've said it before, but that's a great looking Jeep!

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
This is my next upgrade for sure. Currently have a K&N.

Am just so hesitant on cutting the hood.

Also, does the cold air over high flow really make that big of difference? Serious question.
Cutting the hood is something I left to the body shop.....I was nowhere near confident enough in my own abilities there...lol

Cooler air helps with power and efficiency - how noticeable that is on a Jeep is a matter for debate but at a technical level, yes it makes a difference.

How are you still liking the Mopar, since you've lived with it awhile now? Any noises you don't like, or is it all good music through the powerband? One thing I really like about the Mopar is the ability to swap out the high flow filter with a high efficiency filter when going to a dusty place or off-road.

I know I've said it before, but that's a great looking Jeep!
I still love it - there’s no odd noises...combined with the muffler delete I love the sound she makes. I also love the look and functionality of the cutout.
Swapping filters easily is a nice feature, we don’t have lots of dusty trails around here but when I take her out of area that will be another useful thing.

Thanks for the compliment on how she looks.....always nice to hear :).

TigerDen

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I ended up with the S&B CAI. Simple install and you can take the plexiglass lid off for a little extra sound.

Sponsored

JLsport19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
What’s the best sounding Cold Air Intake to you guys?

I plan on adding one soon, just unsure of which. I already have the Gibson dual Exhaust installed. I’ve included a clip below.
What exhaust set up you have? Resonater delete? @Tahoma

JLsport19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Gibson dual exhaust. No other changes or deletes
Sounds deeper than mine. I have the single exit. Gonna have exhaust shop make me a piece to clamp in where the resonator is. If I don't like it I'll put it back in

Visible15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I've got an AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 XP CAI w/Pro 5R oil filter... I absolutely love the sound it makes, but after my recent spring cleaning, oiling the filter was not ideal and as mentioned, I now have speckles of oil around the hood

I want to make a change but I don't know to what

Sponsored

StormTropper

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
What’s the best sounding Cold Air Intake to you guys?

I plan on adding one soon, just unsure of which. I already have the Gibson dual Exhaust installed. I’ve included a clip below.
Imo, the Banks power intake is the best, it's a huge filter gives a mean growl under the hood and looks bad ass. I would recommend it to anyone

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
I’m waiting for Banks Power to come out with theirs. Coming this month per news release.
I personally wouldn't do a CAI again... but the Banks CAI I had on my JK was a quality, highly engineered unit. IF I wanted to risk my engine with a CAI...I'd do a Banks in a heartbeat.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
RWW, could you explain ". . . risk my engine with a CAI . . ."

G.

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
RWW, could you explain ". . . risk my engine with a CAI . . ."

G.
There are quite a few opinions on the filtration ability of CAI‘s vs Stock filters.....oiled vs dry and the like. I’ve run both and the potential for damage with a trade off for very minor gains in mpg and sound are in my opinion just not worth the expense or risk. Google this and you will see lots of discussion on this topic. Mod away as this is only one old guys opinion....my JL runs quite well with only a cat back added.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There are quite a few opinions on the filtration ability of CAI‘s vs Stock filters.....oiled vs dry and the like. I’ve run both and the potential for damage with a trade off for very minor gains in mpg and sound are in my opinion just not worth the expense or risk. Google this and you will see lots of discussion on this topic. Mod away as this is only one old guys opinion....my JL runs quite well with only a cat back added.
I agree.

The Mopar CAI allows for use of a stock paper filter. You'd still get the sound, but not risk the engine. You could run the cloth filter for street driving and paper when in dusty or off-road conditions.

As for hp/mpg, one might actually lose a bit, as the stock setup leaves virtually nothing to be gained. From a Stellantis engineer who designed the Pentastar: You'll gain more by running premium fuel in the 3.6, which is about a whopping 3 horsepower.

So really, it is down to the sound as the only real benefit. So I'd run the Mopar, if I did one, and I'd run the paper filter.
Sponsored