Sponsored

Should I spend the money on a soft top for Summer??

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
If you have a lot of popup showers, I vote for the dual top as well. If you don't have the storage for the back windows you can at least put the top up and keep a lot of the rain out.
Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Please advise...I know there are limited options out there right now for the JL. Best Top does sell a solid product and the OEM top is north of $2,000.

20200203_115619.jpg
nice Jeep. Yes the soft top price is a bit much to stomach, when there’s so many other things still to do like lifts & sliders etc. This thing is cheap, I had ordered it months ago but was refunded b/c it was OOS; maybe it’s avail again.. for that price it’s worth a squirt

https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-91435-california-extended-brief

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As stated earlier, the Bestop Sun Rider for the hardtop would give you the best of both worlds.
Security, easy back access ( important in a 2 door ). Open air from the drivers seat, flip closed when rain threatens...

OP
OP
Redskinfan72

Redskinfan72

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for all the input...To answer some of your questions...Money is not the issue at all, I have been saving for one. I need a Hardtop in northern Pennsylvania...I do run with the doors off most of the Summer and can park my Jeep in the garage every night. I have a few months to make a decision (See aforementioned Northern PA), So I can make a solid decision...I am currently leaning toward the BestTop Twill Soft top for the look. The cost differential is about $600 cheaper than the OEM Twill.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I would like to mention, for those recommending to buy the bestop sunrider. The difference between just the panels/sunrider off and the entire top off is huge, a completely different experience and feeling. Freedom panels come off really easily imho. Yes sure the bestop sunrider makes it a breeze and you don't have to pull over to take it off, but is that worth $700 to you? if it is, by all means, buy it. But why not save a bit more and buy the whole soft top?

This is how I personally thought about it, and decided to just go with a top lift pro. I live in So Cal and it almost never rains, now in "winter" it is a weekend thing, no rain in the forecast? temps over 60? top comes off and back on by the end of the weekend. During summer it wont be much of an issue to leave it off for weeks since it is always dry.

I have been considering however buying a softop because if I am going for a roadtrip, I won't be able to take the whole thing off, but at least I got freedom panels.

The sunrider doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The windows are big, but the Mopar bag or equivalent does a nice job of containing them as much as possible. Still, especially in a 2 door, they will take up space.

OP
OP
Redskinfan72

Redskinfan72

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a picture of their 2 door Jeep with the Best Top on it? I would love to see what they look like on actual vehicles, not just stock "Cartoonish" photos....Thank you

OP
OP
Redskinfan72

Redskinfan72

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the dual top. if I had to choose just one top to go with, it'd be the soft top. it's the most versatile. I absolutely love the ease of the sunrider position as well as putting the top down on warm summer days. it takes 3-4 seconds to put the top in the sunrider position. if you have the extra cash, i'd absolutely do it.
I would have went with Dual Top had it been an option for the 2 door...It was not

OP
OP
Redskinfan72

Redskinfan72

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Rick, love my Dual Tops though I do, as I suspect you may realize, asking whether you should get a piece of gear for a vehicle on a forum devoted to its love is like asking a forum on "love of parachuting" if you should take your first skydive.

Rather, let's talk about pros and cons. And these aren't question for you to answer here, as they are for you to ponder.

First, what kind of discretionary funds do you have for this purchase? If you're financing a non-necessity that depreciates: let's just say I hope you don't.

Second, let's assume you have these funds, what other gear might you want to purchase for your JL that buying the soft top will defer you getting?

Third, outside the JL space (gasp), might these funds go to other things that interest you?

Fourth, is there room for compromise? The Bestop Sunrider product is much cheaper than the entire soft top. Especially if you're not carrying around too many people in the back seat of your 2 door, you may find this product a more than adequate compromise. Maybe you want to exchange hard top for soft, paying for the latter with the former.

Fifth: are you willing to wait for an aftermarket that may produce a 2 door top that's cheaper than the OEM/Bestop Soft top, or pick one up used?

There's no right or wrong answers here, only that which is right or wrong for you.

As for me, and a lot of us, opening the soft top on a nice day on open road offers similar serenity to sailing, and hard to put a price tag on.

Thank you for your thoughtful response to my post...This is why I came here and appreciate this group!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Please advise...I know there are limited options out there right now for the JL. Best Top does sell a solid product and the OEM top is north of $2,000.

20200203_115619.jpg

LOL Some people make 2K in a day and some in a month . It depends how deep are your pockets but soft top is definitely a true Jeep experience.

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I wanted the full Jeep experience so we got the dual top, but I also bought the Sunrider. Where I live we do get a lot of crime (petty theft) so the soft top is definitely not the safest option if I ever leave stuff in the Jeep (I don't). We also get 5 months of snow/winter, and the temps can drop to -45 and stay there for a week or two at a time.

We'll use the freedom top in the winter, install the sunrider in the early spring (I need the hard top for my Kayak in May/June), and the soft top for July/August. I've already come to terms with the fact that the soft top will likely get broken into at some point, and when that happens I will likely not replace it - but that only because of where I live.

If crime is low in your area, and the climate is warm enough that you could use it for a good portion of the year, then my vote (if you can afford it) is high for the soft top.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
It's silly and I love the idea of the Safari style but it just looks so damn goofy to me.
Even if you don't have the windows with you.....throwing the soft top up will keep you dry and water off the dash etc till you can get to some shelter as well.
One of the points of the Safari top...pop the top up to fend off pop up showers.

I admit Safari can look a little goofy, especially with the doors off (even more so on the 4 door). But I like being warm and dry. And not getting sunburn. I'll go Safari over those. I know a lot of people like their J-Tops, Alien Sunshades, or Spiderweb mesh shades. I thought about getting one of those mesh tops, I just don't see the reason if I can go Safari. I also worry about my head rubbing on a mesh shade (I'm 6'3", no experience with any of them).

If the Wrangler hard top had the factory option of removing the back and side windows, with leaving the roof on, I would strongly consider it. Me, personally, I'd rather be able to remove the back and side windows instead of the roof. But that isn't an option now.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
It's silly and I love the idea of the Safari style but it just looks so damn goofy to me.
It does look goofy! I hated it before I bought my JL I thought it looked dumb but I drive around half the day in safari mode, protects me from the sun and even though I think it looks goofy it’s really fun to drive around in.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
As for me, and a lot of us, opening the soft top on a nice day on open road offers similar serenity to sailing, and hard to put a price tag on.
Well said. I bought my Wrangler(s) for one reason and one reason only....to take the doors/top/freedom panels or any combination of them off in the warm weather and enjoy truly open air driving. Wouldn't own it if I couldn't.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Three crimes against humanity:
1) Never going naked in your Jeep - soft top makes it so easy (and the windows are just fine in the back)
2) Angry bird grills
3) AOC

Get the soft top and do not look back. Our JK has duel top - hardly ever use the hard top. Bought the JLUR without hard top. Never looked back. Just fine on highways, 0 degree weather, and in crime areas. Easy to take down or take off completely. Experience it and you will be sold.
Sponsored