Sponsored

Should I spend the money on a soft top for Summer??

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
The only problem is carting around the windows when you put it down. They’re fairly big and scratch just looking at them.
I have the soft window storage bags and throw them in cargo when rain is in the forecast. I had the windows laying down since the back seats were rolled up and my friend put her luggage on top of the windows and the storage bag did a good job protecting the windows. No scratches even though I was sure all that luggage would scratch it up.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I love having the soft top. I would probably hardly deal with taking a hard top on and off. I normally keep my windows in the Jeep in a storage bag. So if I drive to work with the top down, if there is a pop up shower, I can put the top up quickly so don't have to drive home soaked (I don't care if people think driving wet is part of the Jeep experience). I also like the Safari style a lot. I like it more than topless on the highway. I can get sunburned pretty quickly, I like to put the top up with the windows off so I don't get beat up by the sun. Safari is also nice when its 40s-50s out, if you still have your doors on and soft windows out, the Safari top will help keep the heat in. Safari is also good to feel safer from birds when parking under trees.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Id say get it. it is very good quality, quiet, and weatherproof.

I had a 2018 JL with a softop and loved it. I have a 2019 now with a hardtop, what I did was get the toplift pro and just take to top off when I feel like it, I got it down to less than 5 mins using powertools to take the bolts off and liftpro to remove and store the hardtop. I am very happy with it as I honestly prefer the hardtop for day to day over the softop but sometimes I get the itch to have the jeep naked. So consider that as well.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Id say get it. it is very good quality, quiet, and weatherproof.

I had a 2018 JL with a softop and loved it. I have a 2019 now with a hardtop, what I did was get the liftpro and just take to top off when I feel like it, I got it down to less than 5 mins using powertools to take the bolts off and liftpro to remove and store the hardtop. I am very happy with it as I honestly prefer the hardtop for day to day over the softop but sometimes I get the itch to have the jeep naked. So consider that as well.
One of those Lift Pros is cheaper than a soft top also, if the OP has a place to store the top and doesn't mind leaving it at home.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yes definitely get it. It’s the best part of being a Jeep owner. I’m counting down the 7 weeks to April and can’t wait to open up. It’s like a never ending roller coaster ride.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Bestop Sunrider is a great compromise. Best option. I use it all the time in the Spring and Summer. No clumsy taking down the soft top, then putting it up. When at a stop light, I flip it back in less than 10 seconds. Rain, cold, flip it back closed in the same time. When I want full freedom in the wind, I hop on my avatar.
IMG_7749.JPG

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
Not sure where you are in life, but I have two daughters and driving with the top down (and occasionally the doors off) is something that we've bonded over in our JK and now JL. And that's priceless. Like others have said, it's like a roller coaster ride. We have both tops and a daughter asked me yesterday when we're putting the soft top back on. One pretty day in February and we're itching for top down driving. So for me if the question is "should I spend the money" the answer is 100% yes by all means. And BTW I found my JL soft top on Craigslist in Atlanta for $700 (2 door, non- premium w/ tint). But they are very scarce.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I I also like the Safari style a lot. I like it more than topless on the highway. I can get sunburned pretty quickly, I like to put the top up with the windows off so I don't get beat up by the sun. Safari is also nice when its 40s-50s out, if you still have your doors on and soft windows out, the Safari top will help keep the heat in. Safari is also good to feel safer from birds when parking under trees.
It's silly and I love the idea of the Safari style but it just looks so damn goofy to me.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I only have a soft top but I'm in a warmer climate and one of the primary reasons for me buying a Wrangler is to have a convertible. If you plan to run many days with the top down but need the convenience of a top for rain, etc then yes. If it's just the occasional top off mode for warm holidays then save your money. I had my top down last weekend when it was warm for 2 days then sleet/snow was falling by Wednesday.

Window scratches? They can but I just have a cheap JK bag with cloth covers. The sides fit perfectly and I fold over the back window to fit but have 2 pool noodles in the center so they don't flatten and crease. I'm sure the windows will get scratches at some point but almost 1 year without any scratches so far.

Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
In 2002, I was driving my TJ through Chicago rush hour traffic and was hit by a heavy thunderstorm. I was without my hardtop and had the wife and kids with me. Jeep took on about 1-2 inches of water in the floorboards and the next overpass was miles ahead, so I could not get under it. Having other people wave and smile at us on the interstate while we looked like drowned rats was in my opinion fun, and a unique Jeep experience. It was very memorable for my family, and we still laugh about it today. However, from that point on, wife and I decided to always have a top and windows with us. So, we switch out hard top for soft top each year as many do. A soft top is a no-brainer to us. Search the forums, there is always one for sale cheaper than a new one.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
One more opinion:
If you have the money and are thinking about it like it looks like you are, GET IT!!! You will only regret it later if you dont.
I personally do not have one because I take off the freedom panels when needed. But if you want the luxury of a soft top, not having to remove a heavier hard top, go for it.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Even if you don't have the windows with you.....throwing the soft top up will keep you dry and water off the dash etc till you can get to some shelter as well.

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
Window scratches? They can but I just have a cheap JK bag with cloth covers. The sides fit perfectly and I fold over the back window to fit but have 2 pool noodles in the center so they don't flatten and crease. I'm sure the windows will get scratches at some point but almost 1 year without any scratches so far.

This is what I do too. Mopar sells a bag, but I spent far less on Amazon to get a no-brand bag that's almost as good. If there's even a small chance of rain, I keep my windows in the bag with me in the back - wrapping the bag's handles around the headrests of the rear seats so they stay still and don't fly out!

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
How hard can it be to take off the freedom panels? If that’s not enough get the soft. The Besttop thing seems amazing if you love having the panels off. It all depends on how much you like the panels off. If it’s not enough get the soft, if you like it use the panels, if you love it, get the besttop.
Sponsored