wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well, after looking at this thread, I will ensure that if I ever need to take one of these bolts out, I am going to go buy a high quality bit and use an impact driver with a lot of pressure and go slow.

I do not normally fuck up bolts and such, but when I do, I usually weld a real nut to the top of said fucked up bolt or nut so I can get good wrench on it.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
These bolts tend to be a pain because they are painted with the hinge. Usually will scribe around it with a knife first to help break the paint
To help get that out I suggest a hand impact. You hit the end with a hammer to force it in and turn, helps keep it from slipping out

F1D314B0-30DE-452D-83BE-DDD045D45B4F.jpeg
Be careful as not to damage the door. I would replace them all with some black after market bolts that don't strip as easy. Not sure if you can get Grade 8 bolts but I would at least give it a try.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
what size bit did you use?
I was using an (admittedly cheap) T50 bit for a 3/8" drive from Tractor Supply, and that failed. I ended up buying a good -- lifetime guarantee impact driver -- kit on sale from Canadian Tire and it came out first shot (with a POP!). I think I'm going to put some anti-seize on the new bolts when I do my pre-winter service. I don't plan to remove them for any reason, but I'm sure the steps with get damaged or rusty while I still own the Jeep!

Before anyone argues, the door and hood bolts are T50. The tailgate bolts - those are T55. There's a huge difference in size.

Oh, And Smittybilt has now included aluminum conical washers that go behind the brackets to keep the hinges properly in place. I haven't seen any documentation about it, but I was pleased to see them! They are not shown in any photos or videos, but must have been added when they were confirmed fitting on the JL.

So, at least now I can get to my THULE box a lot easier!

IMG_20190830_090850.jpg

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I was using an (admittedly cheap) T50 bit for a 3/8" drive from Tractor Supply, and that failed. I ended up buying a good -- lifetime guarantee impact driver -- kit on sale from Canadian Tire and it came out first shot (with a POP!). I think I'm going to put some anti-seize on the new bolts when I do my pre-winter service. I don't plan to remove them for any reason, but I'm sure the steps with get damaged or rusty while I still own the Jeep!

Before anyone argues, the door and hood bolts are T50. The tailgate bolts - those are T55. There's a huge difference in size.

Oh, And Smittybilt has now included aluminum conical washers that go behind the brackets to keep the hinges properly in place. I haven't seen any documentation about it, but I was pleased to see them! They are not shown in any photos or videos, but must have been added when they were confirmed fitting on the JL.

So, at least now I can get to my THULE box a lot easier!

IMG_20190830_090850.jpg
can I ask where you bought your steps? I know a few places have them, including Amazon, but would like to get the new washers. Lots of places may have old inventory. Northridge 4x4 doesn’t even have it listed as compatible for the JL. Figure I’ll order from where you did to get the new washers unless anyone knows of a brick and mortar near Portland, OR I can get in person.

Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
can I ask where you bought your steps? I know a few places have them, including Amazon, but would like to get the new washers. Lots of places may have old inventory. Northridge 4x4 doesn’t even have it listed as compatible for the JL. Figure I’ll order from where you did to get the new washers unless anyone knows of a brick and mortar near Portland, OR I can get in person.
I was not aware of the new washers either. Even the instructions that came with it did not mention them. Mine were purchased from Amazon.ca, sold by Amazon. It's really going to depend on age of stock, like you said. The package is plastic clamshell, so I'm not even sure you can see the hardware before you open it...

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I was in this exact situation a few days ago! The good news is that the Atlas steps provides new longer (black) bolts, so you don't need the jeep ones in the door anymore. The bad news is they're an absolute witch to get out. We drilled it out, then removed the door and gently twisted until the hinge came off. The head was actually broken at the front, and from there we could easily remove the bolt.

60246733338__067F8101-6CE4-4299-9FF6-9C7850C45CE3 2.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think I'd just open the door and stand on the seat :)

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Impact driver on an aluminium door?

Sponsored

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to install Smittybuilt Atlas steps.
Thought I could go myself but I can’t. Will pay someone to go it.
Is that bolt bad that I ruined it so it won’t come out?
That exactly what happened to me. For now, I put some paint on it and am waiting until I am ready to install it later... it's stupid but pretty much you have to hammer in the torx and then put lot of pressure on it before turning. You can do it yourself but have to have the hammer ready...

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Can i order a Mojito replacement bolt? Just in case I take off the Atlas steps if I want to sell years from now?
Yes--your dealer can order it.
My Jeep came with one bolt missing and they ordered one my color and screwed it when I was there for an oil change. No biggy...

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I’ve been dealing with this the last few days. Stripped one factory bolt. I drilled into it and the head popped off and was able to drill and push the remainder through. Installing the new ones, a head popped right off without torquing so I think I’m going to buy some zinc black oxide hex head bolts so I can torque them without worrying about stripping.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i couldnt find anything on here as the fix to not messing the door torx bolts there is a toold that you can tap that turns at the same time to help with the paint build up on the bolt. check this out. we use it all the time at my shop. best tool to keep this problem form happening https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/2852 scroll down to the impact driver
ive posted this twice. and i see someone found the kit on amazon. the hand impact and a rubber mallet t50 will get this out without anything issues. But i Suggest using a name brand torque bit not a harbor freight. it will save you a ton in the long run.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
So patience got the best of me, and now I have a stripped T50 hood hinge bolt on hand. I tried to cut it so I can use a flat head screwdriver but not working. Is extractor my only hope to get this focker out?

20200408_193250.jpg
Sponsored