Not open for further replies.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thank you Sourdough......it’s what I have been saying all along. The Bronco is NO competition to the Wrangler. They are completely different classes of vehicle.
The Wrangler is a Serious Off Road worthy vehicle that is road worthy.
The Bronco is more SUV.....but that is not to say that it’s off road ability is poor.
.... ....
The Wrangler is targeted to the buyer who wants that Ultimate (factory built) off road machine. Nothing else out there compares.
It's a valid opinion, but you're largely describing the Rubicon market, not the Wrangler in general. The Bronco will absolutely appeal to someone like me (Sahara buyers) who do light off-roading, but still want an agile vehicle that you can to take off road, and are able to remove the top and/or doors.
The serious, hard core off roader, will surely stick with the Wrangler as you mentioned. However the mall crawler, or those of us that could get by with most any truck/SUV will likely entertain the idea of a Bronco if the price and features are right. It most definitely IS competition to the Wrangler. Maybe not capability wise, but sales wise, yes.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Will the Bronco have a manual transmission ? A "base Sport " trim ? An affordable Entry Level trim is essential to bring in young buyers, who may become Fans for Life.. Jeep has kept that niche open, and I hope it continues to do so

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I bought a Rubicon and I will never rock crawl it. I don't understand the fascination with it, to be honest. I will be considering a Bronco when it comes to market regardless of SFA or IFS.
Fascinating. Not that you dont rock crawl with it, I get some people dont want to do it but that fact that you dont get why people do it. Just why did you buy a wrangler, and a rubicon at that? Not busting on you, just real curious.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought a Rubicon and I will never rock crawl it. I don't understand the fascination with it, to be honest. I will be considering a Bronco when it comes to market regardless of SFA or IFS.
It's addicting. An adrenaline rush. One of many ways to get one, but extra addictive because you don't have to be in any kind of physical shape yourself :facepalm::LOL:

Sponsored

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't understand it either until I hit some trails with my friend in his vehicle. He let me drive a bit and that's all it took. I traded in my Charger Scat Pack on a JLR and haven't looked back.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
Exactly and I think it bears reminding people that the Rubicon trim level on the Wrangler sells dead last. The Sport trim sells the most followed by the Sahara trim levels and as I have said Rubicon is dead last. A lot of us could give a crap about rock crawling and trust me I have the coin to spend when the Bronco comes out!
Right now I'm downgrading from Rubicon to either a Willys Diesel or waiting another year for the Bronco, with the big reason I'm waiting to see the Bronco before deciding being just how much the Willys will be. Not that I don't have the money for it, but I'm hesitant to drop $50k on a Jeep and then another $10k on after market upgrades even if there wasn't a viable alternative on the horizon.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
1. That's subjective. Both the 3.6 and 2.0 perform very well for the platform they share and have had relatively zero issues after the first 2 years in the JL. I do expect Ford to offer a better premium engine such as a V8 which would be great.

2. This is subjective too but the 10 speed is definitely not better. The 8speed is best in class and I expect to be for a while. The Ford tranny spends too much time figuring out what gear to be in and seems to want to upshift constantly even when you let off the gas pedal trying to slow down. The 10speed only makes sense for somebody who's towing often which like the Wrangler will not be the Broncos forte.

Competition is great. Jeep hasn't had any competition for 6 or so years now and the option prices reflect that. It's time for reality to hit them smack in the face. The JL is a tremendous product but they overproduced by a lot. Cut production going forward and prices/rebates will stabilize.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It's addicting. An adrenaline rush. One of many ways to get one, but extra addictive because you don't have to be in any kind of physical shape yourself :facepalm::LOL:
It is for sure, but I typically get out a bunch and check lines which involves climbing around on the rocks, plus getting in and out of a lifted rig is a workout. lol

The rush is from the possibility of wrecking a 50k vehicle. haha

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It is for sure, but I typically get out a bunch and check lines which involves climbing around on the rocks, plus getting in and out of a lifted rig is a workout. lol

The rush is from the possibility of wrecking a 50k vehicle. haha
Ok, fair point. Unless you happen to have a spotter, you better be ready for some exercise. I've ended up on my lid before. Takes the "daily-driver" right out of your "daily driver"...

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Fascinating. Not that you dont rock crawl with it, I get some people dont want to do it but that fact that you dont get why people do it. Just why did you buy a wrangler, and a rubicon at that? Not busting on you, just real curious.
I bought a Wrangler because I had a TJ about 20 years ago that was unstoppable in a major blizzard we had. I got rid of it when we had kids as it wasn't practical. I did take it off road a few times but not rock crawling. I always liked the 4 door Wranglers as they had the utility of a 4x4 but were also convertible. The JLU was the first 4-door Wrangler I seriously considered purchasing as it had all of those qualities from prior Wranglers plus the creature comforts I have grown accustomed to (keyless entry, heated seats, power locks/windows, better headlights, etc.). Honestly, I bought the Rubicon for the look. I didn't want to buy a Sahara and have to add the wheels, tires, lift, hood. I guess I can see how rock crawling appeals to some but it is so sloooooow. Couple that with the serious risk of damage to a vehicle that is pretty pricey and it is not for me.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
I like trails but not “rock climbing” per se. there’s rocks here and there to deal with but going on a long trail that’s all technical crawling just isn’t fun to me. I like to get out and enjoy the sites/sounds around me without having to be focused 100% of the time on all the obstacles and dangers around me. If a Bronco is much better on the road (should be) then I’ll make the switch. It’ll be able to do all of the off road stuff I do with stock 35’s (I’ll switch mine for a different tire) and more comfort. Hopefully they have cooled powered seats and more luxury options available. If the top of the line is around the 70k mark I’m in. If it’s not nice enough I’ll probably keep the Jeep and get a defender as a daily. That 400 hp and luxury would be tough to beat with my daily highway trip to work

Status
Not open for further replies.