Rhino Rack Vortex SG 2 vs Mopar Crossbar Rack for Hardtop Rails

nle

First Name
Nov
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm looking to get a crossbar rack for my JLUR to mount skis this winter and I have boiled it down to two options (please chime in if I'm forgetting other choices for rail mounts): Rhino Rack's Vortex SG 2 and Mopar's OEM crossbar for the hardtop. For those of you who have these set ups, why did you choose to go with one or the other?

The Vortex SG 2 look more sleek and lower profile, which is what I want, but it seems like the front bars can only be mounted on the freedom top due to the changing width of the roof and the front bar. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Can they be adjusted to mount on the rear hardtop section only (like the Mopar crossbars in the pic below)?

Mopar's rack seem adjustable and can be mounted on all parts of the rail, unfortunately, they whistle and have excess bar length sticking off the side. They also appear taller than the Vortex rack which is something I'm sensitive about because I would like to fit into parking structures without having to take the racks off.

Vortex
310761_605D55CB.jpg

Mopar (notice rearward position on the hardtop)
293-82215387.jpg
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Rhino bars and was able to install them in the position you show the Mopar ones. Had to kind of push them on but they fit.

OP
OP
nle

nle

First Name
Nov
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just installed the Rhino bars and was able to install them in the position you show the Mopar ones. Had to kind of push them on but they fit.
Thanks for clarifying! have you had any issues with wind noise or quality?

Sponsored

Spurser

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Any updates on what you went with and how it worked? I'm looking at the same thing and have a sunrider
I'm looking to get a crossbar rack for my JLUR to mount skis this winter and I have boiled it down to two options (please chime in if I'm forgetting other choices for rail mounts): Rhino Rack's Vortex SG 2 and Mopar's OEM crossbar for the hardtop. For those of you who have these set ups, why did you choose to go with one or the other?

The Vortex SG 2 look more sleek and lower profile, which is what I want, but it seems like the front bars can only be mounted on the freedom top due to the changing width of the roof and the front bar. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Can they be adjusted to mount on the rear hardtop section only (like the Mopar crossbars in the pic below)?

Mopar's rack seem adjustable and can be mounted on all parts of the rail, unfortunately, they whistle and have excess bar length sticking off the side. They also appear taller than the Vortex rack which is something I'm sensitive about because I would like to fit into parking structures without having to take the racks off.

Vortex
310761_605D55CB.jpg

Mopar (notice rearward position on the hardtop)
293-82215387.jpg

broox

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broox.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M4, 2020 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up the Rhino-Rack Vortex SG2 (SG59) and threw it on my 2-door.

Photos here:

Quick update... I picked up the Rhino-Rack Vortex SG2 (SG59) drip rail roof racks to prepare for an upcoming snowboarding trip. They're not listed to fit the 2-door JL, but they fit just fine and look great!

IMG_6179.jpg
IMG_6180.jpg
IMG_6186.JPG

There's no wind-noise at all, and the security screws offer a bit of peace of mind for parking in lots, etc... The only modification I'm thinking about making is cutting another half-inch off of the rear rail so that it will fit better when slid a little closer to the back end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nle

nle

First Name
Nov
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any updates on what you went with and how it worked? I'm looking at the same thing and have a sunrider
Since you have a JLUR, the best option is the Rhino Rack Vortex SG59 bars. I did a ton of research on the best gutter mounts before pulling the trigger! A member on here suggested switching the front and rear bars around in order to mount both bars on the rear hardtop. The results were great, especially paired with my yakima fatcat 6 for skis. Very low profile for those who are worried about garage clearance and no whistling on the highway with the weatherstrips inserts.

Caveat: I've had a relatively poor customer experience with Rhino Rack trying to get replacement screws for their product.. but that's a whole different story,

upload_2020-2-10_23-44-48.png

upload_2020-2-10_23-45-9.png

upload_2020-2-10_23-45-54.png

upload_2020-2-10_23-46-6.png
Sponsored