Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
OP: like I said, it is your money, and these things aren’t cheap. Don’t let anyone talk you into buying something you don’t like.

If you test drive other JLs and you find one that drives to your liking, buy it. If you don’t, don’t buy it thinking that the dealer will fix it under warranty.

There’s a number of forum members on here tired and frustrated trying to get the dealer to fix their JL. The reality is, most dealers are at a loss how to fix the issue.

Good luck.
I second this. You can get a great one and you can get a "bad" one. Just drive them until you find one that is comfortable and has the things you want.
Sponsored

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I've never had a Jeep before prior to my 2020 Sport S. I would say yes, the steering is looser feeling than previous vehicles I've had. I test drove one beforehand and it was looser, but after 5-10 minutes of driving it I didn't even notice I was centering it more, just became subconscious. Same with my Jeep now, I don't even notice it most times.

The ride is better than I expected. It won't handle turns at speed very well, but turning at normal speeds it's very tight and precise, at least to me.

I have yet to experience any death wobble incidents. I'm assuming those are somewhat rare on stock suspension and wheels.

I will say that it's been one of the most fun vehicles I've driven in a long time! I typically like fast muscle/sports cars, but this Jeep is really a blast to drive!

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
I too am a new owner and have been driving everything from full size trucks to sports cars. I went into getting a Jeep knowing it would be different but is has not be anywhere near as bad as I had heard, or read. I have a JLU 19' Rubicon, on the highways here in the Dallas area it is pretty solid at 80 mph but I will say you need to pay a bit more attention as a wind gust can move it (not exactly a aerodynamic vehicle). I have not had any issues with it on road or off (yet) and I am actually wondering if I need to lift it at all (I will but most likely 2.5 with 37s). The ride, based on feedback from my Jeep friends and owners I know, all have stated they are surprised of how well it rides, but most of them if not all are older and highly modified jeep owners. It's not a sports car, so handling is subjective a bit (I treat it more like a truck), and its not a luxury vehicle, so ride quality compared to...?, its a Jeep. Wind noise, this thing is a brick in the air, and all the doors and roof panels come off, and it has a fiberglass or soft top, I turn up the music, or smile cause I'm a Jeep owner.

Encycloman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Retired Scientist/Metallurgy
I have gotten used to it. But I test drove twelve (12) JLs before buying: a mix of 2018, 2019 and 2020, 4-cyl and V6, Rubicons and Saharas.

Only thing I’ve done to it was replace the original 32” Bridgestone Duelers with a set of 33” BFG KO2s. It’s gotten a tiny bit better.
I had major issues with the electric steering they put on my JL. I "upgraded" to a good hydraulic system. Resulting in much better control (no slop at all in steering), and the happy thought that the hydraulic won't cut out or overheat or anything.

OP
OP

Jeep_life123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISO Jeep
I took everyone’s advice and test drove some other Jeeps to compare the feel. From the first turn I could tell the steering felt tight and responsive. Zero complaints, it was a nice ride. I now know what it should feel like. I am willing to give the dealership a chance to look at it and address. The worst that happens is I waste some time and gas money if it doesn’t pan out.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Smart move, test them all and pick one that feels right.
Some are good some not so good. They can not fix a bad one so if they tell you
buy input and they will make it right...just run. It won’t be fixed and you will end up with a jeep you will regret. I have driven quite a few and there is a definite difference.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Maybe I'm crazy, but my '18 seems to handle much better now at 19K miles than when it was new. Took it to the dealer, and they gave me the usual BS, "they all handle like that.". I did have the steering stabilizer recall done a few months back. That definitely corrected the slight wobble when I hit ruts at speed. I played around with tire pressure, thinking that a few pounds lower would help the handling. I'm back to factory pressure now, and all seems ok.

Tons of posts in this forum if the OP would like to do more research.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
PLEASE HELP THE NEWBIE :)

Hi all. I am on an extended test drive of a 2018 JLU Sahara still under bumper to bumper warranty and noticed some things I have some questions on. :)

I realize this is a solid axle vehicle and will be a rougher ride. I am speaking from inexperience and wondering if the below is the “norm” and if so, what could I do to address it or make it better?

STEERING:
I am still getting used to the steering feel. I think it feels kinda numb and is hard to tell when the wheels move because of how light the steering is. I’d say the first 3 inches from each side is the lightest area. I’d say less then 1 inch of dead zone and is fine to drive on highway. Any suggestions I could have them try to help before buying? (Like flashing steering or an update?) or any mods that would help to create a heavier steering feel? I plan to keep it stock for a while so keep that in mind.

SHAKING STEERING:
Since I am new to jeeps and solid axle vehicles can anyone comment if your steering wheel/axle should shake for a second or two when you hit a bump like on an overpass bridge? It has done it a few times. I wouldn’t say it was dangerous, but coming from inexperience it felt weird and want to know If this is normal? If not, what should I have them address before purchasing?

WANDERING assessment:
I can hold it in a straight line on the highway and it does not wander much. Changing lanes it does wander a bit like I have to counter correct to get it back in the lane, but then stays pretty well straight. Would you say this is normal? I think this could also be because I am not used to a 4x4. I am not alarmed by this unless you think I should be lol.

Appreciate your insights on a potential new Jeeper.

Hi all. I am on an extended test drive of a 2018 JLU Sahara still under bumper to bumper warranty and noticed some things I have some questions on. :)

I realize this is a solid axle vehicle and will be a rougher ride. I am speaking from inexperience and wondering if the below is the “norm” and if so, what could I do to address it or make it better?

STEERING:
I am still getting used to the steering feel. I think it feels kinda numb and is hard to tell when the wheels move because of how light the steering is. I’d say the first 3 inches from each side is the lightest area. I’d say less then 1 inch of dead zone and is fine to drive on highway. Any suggestions I could have them try to help before buying? (Like flashing steering or an update?) or any mods that would help to create a heavier steering feel? I plan to keep it stock for a while so keep that in mind.

SHAKING STEERING:
Since I am new to jeeps and solid axle vehicles can anyone comment if your steering wheel/axle should shake for a second or two when you hit a bump like on an overpass bridge? It has done it a few times. I wouldn’t say it was dangerous, but coming from inexperience it felt weird and want to know If this is normal? If not, what should I have them address before purchasing?

WANDERING assessment:
I can hold it in a straight line on the highway and it does not wander much. Changing lanes it does wander a bit like I have to counter correct to get it back in the lane, but then stays pretty well straight. Would you say this is normal? I think this could also be because I am not used to a 4x4. I am not alarmed by this unless you think I should be lol.

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited

STEERING:

SHAKING STEERING:

WANDERING assessment:

I’m not a new Jeeper and I have extensive experience with solid axle Systems and recirculating ball steering systems. My 2018 JL Sahara did not drive anywhere near as well as my JK Sahara after about 15,000 miles. Both Jeeps were/are stock at least the JL was until I started it work out some of the issues. My JK did not have death wobble, bump steer or a “dead spot” in the steering, however some JK’s did, mine didn’t. I’ve had some work done on my JL and now it does not have death wobble, which it did after about 15,000 miles, it does not have bump steer but it still has a dead spot In the steering albeit a much, much smaller dead spot after some of the work was done, which is next on my to do list.

The dead spot in the steering is “normal” to the new electric power steering set up in the JL. But that doesn’t mean that its the same as the “play” in a typical recirculating ball system. It can be mistaken as that but it’s not. What I’ve been able to find out so far and have to confirm is that it’s the result of the programming which, I’m told, shuts down the electric power assist when your going straight on the highway. It’ll come on when it senses steering input. The sooner it senses steering input, the sooner it comes on, the smaller the dead spot. If it comes on and you don’t feel it and you keep turning your wheel you’ll have to correct by turning back. If you go to far in the corrective direction then you’ll end up having to go back the other way being careful that you don’t over correct (over steer) and have to repeat the process... the see saw effect.

It appears that some JL’s have it to a greater degree than others. So I would not say that you should be alarmed but at the same time check it out to make sure it’s not on the extreme end. Personally, I know that I can get rid of it totally depending on how much money I’m willing to throw at my JL. I can tell you for a certainty that not all Jeeps handle poorly. Try following mine in a tight turn at 80 mph and you’ll see what a Jeep can do besides great off road. No it doesn’t handle or ride like my wife’s Benz and never will. But it’s not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, it’s my daily driver and I really like it, that is, I like it now, after I didn’t accept “it’s a Jeep thing” and went to work on it.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I took everyone’s advice and test drove some other Jeeps to compare the feel. From the first turn I could tell the steering felt tight and responsive. Zero complaints, it was a nice ride. I now know what it should feel like.

I am willing to give the dealership a chance to look at it and address. The worst that happens is I waste some time and gas money if it doesn’t pan out.
Good to hear you were able to drive a “normal” JL which steers tight and responsive. Nice ride - zero complaints. That one sounds like a good copy. That is how the JL should drive.

If the dealer cannot address the problems to this degree. Just switch to a good one. Since at least now - you know exactly how a normal one “should” drive. Just having this simple knowledge is power. Whatever you do - do not pay good $$$ for a crap JL that has problems from the get go.

FCA apparently has bought back “defective” JLs. But only after a lot of back and forth - and under specific circumstances like RTD etc have posted. Def get a good one is the moral of the story. So a very thorough test drive is the first step. Sounds like you are on the right track now. Good luck with it. We absolutely love our Jeep. Hope you can get a good one. Super fun 4x4.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I took everyone’s advice and test drove some other Jeeps to compare the feel. From the first turn I could tell the steering felt tight and responsive. Zero complaints, it was a nice ride. I now know what it should feel like. I am willing to give the dealership a chance to look at it and address. The worst that happens is I waste some time and gas money if it doesn’t pan out.
It’s good that you test drove another JL and can now tell the difference.

Still, I would NOT rely on the dealer to solve the issue. By and large, dealers don’t have a good track record resolving these steering problems.

There’s more than wasted time at stake: if you buy a JL that doesn’t drive the way you like, regardless of the dealer’s best efforts, it is going to drive you nuts and you may end up getting rid of it at a loss.

My advise is: take your time and find a Jeep that you know you will be able to live with right off the lot.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
everyone here should daily drive a 99-2004 cherokee or grand cherokee for a while then drive a JL and get back to me on the steering.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
everyone here should daily drive a 99-2004 cherokee or grand cherokee for a while then drive a JL and get back to me on the steering.
I have a Toro zero turn lawnmower, but I don’t compare that to my jeep and then say the jeep has great steering.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s good that you test drove another JL and can now tell the difference.

Still, I would NOT rely on the dealer to solve the issue. By and large, dealers don’t have a good track record resolving these steering problems.

There’s more than wasted time at stake: if you buy a JL that doesn’t drive the way you like, regardless of the dealer’s best efforts, it is going to drive you nuts and you may end up getting rid of it at a loss.

My advise is: take your time and find a Jeep that you know you will be able to live with right off the lot.
they can’t fix it, and that’s the bottom line if it’s a steering problem. If it’s a wobble or even a slight loose feel there is a chance of a fix. Once you accept the jeep...it’s your issue and your problem.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella

By extended test drive do you mean you haven't bought it yet? I haven't read this whole thread, but (assuming you have) you'll note that steering was/is a big concern with the newer wranglers. The shaking after hitting a bump is called "death wobble", and is related to the steering problem. Personally, I wouldn't buy this one at all. Definitely go take a few others out for a drive and see how they feel. If for no other reason, than so you know (they will feel different).
Sponsored