Sponsored

RUBICON Lift Less than 2 inches - options without going spacers ?

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Been all over this and other forums. Yes little pieces of this discussion exist but I felt a need to consolidate and hopefully clarify this issue. I KNOW I am not the only Rubi (4 dr) owner on 35's that wants a little more lift without going to a 2.5 inch or taller lift.

What I want really is to
#1 - get the 1 inch or 1.5 inches back that I lost from putting the 35's on (gained an Inch of ground clearance i know but lost an inch in between top of tire and fender). Compensate for the steel bumpers plus winch plate and winch.

#2 - improve ride quality - I'd love a Slightly stiffer spring (10 to 15% maybe) for better road manners and a more capable shock for driving on the rutted, wash-board, pot holed back roads of Vermont. Am I interested in serious trail use? - Sure but my jeep use is 45% Paved roads / 40% dirt and gravel roads and hopefully 15% trail use.

#3 - I dont mind spending the money of what a quality 2.5" lift would cost - nothings free right? Just want to explore the options and hopefully do this the right way.

Options I have considered that are still on the table.

1- buy a quality shock (front and rear) designed for 0-1.5" lift (Fox, Falcon, ??) and settle for a 1 or 1.5 inch spacer lift. An obvious compromise to my goals.

2 - buy a quality shock (front and rear) designed for 0-1.5" lift and swap out the springs. AHH. ok so - companies I found that make a 1" spring designed for a loaded RUBI (4dr) are Eibach, Synergy, RK, ??

3 - buy a quality 2.5 inch lift for a 2 DOOR and pray that it sits an inch lower and gives me what I want.

4 - WAIT until a true 1.5 inch lift package gets released for a JLUR. this is my current status !!!

Also i know all these options will also require other parts - LCA's (correct the caster), new bump stops, what else ?

So I am hoping my JEEP brothers and sisters out that have some real world or hands on experience with this mix and match process.

thanks in advance..
Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
In what way do you feel spacers are a compromise?

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I didn't say spacers were a compromise - I said its a compromise to MY GOALS of improving road manners by finding a slightly stiffer spring. If i wanted to keep the "ride" the same (and dont' get me wrong - its pretty good!) then yes i will do a 1 or 1.5 inch spacer and then just replace the shocks. This is still a real possibility for me. Do you have a spacer lift ? stock shocks ? 35's ? on Rubi ?

happy to have this be a place to exchange ideas on this topic.
thanks

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i understand what your going for. i am also looking for a solution close to yours but more or less would looking at 2.5" with a custom HD springs as i has aftermarket steel frt and rear bumpers with a 165lb RTT. I'd love to have a good stance 1.5-2' taller than the rubi setup with 35's. ill let you know if i come up with anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
i understand what your going for. i am also looking for a solution close to yours but more or less would looking at 2.5" with a custom HD springs as i has aftermarket steel frt and rear bumpers with a 165lb RTT. I'd love to have a good stance 1.5-2' taller than the rubi setup with 35's. ill let you know if i come up with anything.
Cool. yes appreciate that. I guess 1 thing I didnt mention is a 2.5 inch - if it a true 2.5 inchs on a RUBI with 35's makes it look a little "out of proportion" in my opinion. IE needs 37's !!! I don't want to go that route.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Option 2 seems to check all your boxes, Eibach typically makes quality springs, have experience w/ them on road cars but not 4x4s, so can't speak to that :(

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Rancho makes a 2” kit. Pretty close to your request and is fairly complete.

AUJL

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Been all over this and other forums. Yes little pieces of this discussion exist but I felt a need to consolidate and hopefully clarify this issue. I KNOW I am not the only Rubi (4 dr) owner on 35's that wants a little more lift without going to a 2.5 inch or taller lift.

What I want really is to
#1 - get the 1 inch or 1.5 inches back that I lost from putting the 35's on (gained an Inch of ground clearance i know but lost an inch in between top of tire and fender). Compensate for the steel bumpers plus winch plate and winch.

#2 - improve ride quality - I'd love a Slightly stiffer spring (10 to 15% maybe) for better road manners and a more capable shock for driving on the rutted, wash-board, pot holed back roads of Vermont. Am I interested in serious trail use? - Sure but my jeep use is 45% Paved roads / 40% dirt and gravel roads and hopefully 15% trail use.

#3 - I dont mind spending the money of what a quality 2.5" lift would cost - nothings free right? Just want to explore the options and hopefully do this the right way.

Options I have considered that are still on the table.

1- buy a quality shock (front and rear) designed for 0-1.5" lift (Fox, Falcon, ??) and settle for a 1 or 1.5 inch spacer lift. An obvious compromise to my goals.

2 - buy a quality shock (front and rear) designed for 0-1.5" lift and swap out the springs. AHH. ok so - companies I found that make a 1" spring designed for a loaded RUBI (4dr) are Eibach, Synergy, RK, ??

3 - buy a quality 2.5 inch lift for a 2 DOOR and pray that it sits an inch lower and gives me what I want.

4 - WAIT until a true 1.5 inch lift package gets released for a JLUR. this is my current status !!!

Also i know all these options will also require other parts - LCA's (correct the caster), new bump stops, what else ?

So I am hoping my JEEP brothers and sisters out that have some real world or hands on experience with this mix and match process.

thanks in advance..
Great looking Jeep! I have the same dilemma and have been looking at either the Rancho 2" kit or the Dynatrac 2" kit. Or just may go all in with 37's. Decisions...

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Option 2 seems to check all your boxes, Eibach typically makes quality springs, have experience w/ them on road cars but not 4x4s, so can't speak to that :(
I know - thinking about that. So the question becomes what shock do i pair them with ? And it SAYS 1 inch on a Rubicon but is it really ? a little more is fine - a little less seems like a waste. So we have the discussion. I am going to make calls to both Eibach and Synergy today - if i have time and get their 2 cents !!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Great looking Jeep! I'm pondering the same decision and have been looking at either the Rancho 2" kit or the Dynatrac 2" kit. Or just may go all in with 37's. Decisions...
I have not looked at Dynatrac yet - so thanks for that. Yeah - this is a SLIPPERY SLOPE!!! I forgot to mention i have a 6 Speed manual. So 37's bring in a couple new problems as well ?

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
BY THE WAY - if you have a 2 inch lift on a RUBI with 35's please feel free to POST THEM PICS!!! As I said part of my decision is certainly being driven by HOW IT LOOKS - duh!

AUJL

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I have not looked at Dynatrac yet - so thanks for that. Yeah - this is a SLIPPERY SLOPE!!! I forgot to mention i have a 6 Speed manual. So 37's bring in a couple new problems as well ?
I'm no expert, only had mine a little over a month, just have been asking a lot of questions and learning from the wealth of knowledge here. It seems that the 8 speed handles 37's better, but I'd probably eventually regear as well even with my 3.6 and 8 speed if I go with 37's. My concern with Dynatrac is being able to hold additional weight. Seems that some have complained about it squatting when loaded, hopefully those running the lift can chime in. I'm trying to stay married too, it is a slippery slope!

OP
OP
Rubi VT

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Rubicon’s with an 8 spd., really come to life on 4,5,6 rated trials with a Mopar lift($1,100) and 37” tires. Add a front adjustable Track Bar and a rear T.B relocation bracket and you’re good to go.
Appreciate that. I have a 6 speed which i love driving. Also not looking to go 37's.

My hesitations with the MOPAR lift are 2 fold. 1 - many many people have reported a LOT more than 2 inches of lift with this kit - so not what im looking for. AND - I still hear rumblings about Bowed Mopar springs rubbing and causing other damage.

If i thought this is kit would give my exactly 2 inch of lift or maybe slightly less once loaded with equipment and gear and I knew the reliability issues where fixed then DONE id buy one and have my dealer install it!

So can you tell you experiance. Actual lift hight you got on your Rubicon ? what additional equipment you have (bumpers, winch, blah blah) ?
Can you tell me about the ride and the reliability ?

please and THANK YOU..
Sponsored