misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
^ Both valid points.

I think the Bronco is going to squeeze into a slightly different demographic. I expect it to be Wrangler-sized, and probably be able to Ford some water, but I expect it to be faster, with a suspension better suited to soaking up bumps at higher speeds that the Jeep. In that case, IFS makes more sense.

I’m not a Ford guy, but if you look at their general tendencies, the Bronco would fit there pretty well. Especially in a Raptor or ST version. I’d bet that would do really well in the US.

Either way, I’m not even going for a test drive if they don’t give it a manual transmission!
It's supposed to have a 7-speed manual tranny, which includes a sub-1st gear crawl selection
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I assume that was a 4Runner (the last FJC in the USA was 2014). My FJC had no such problems...owned 12 years with absolutely issues other than a couple of recalls on the seatbelts. I did Ouray, Moab and Sedona plus 2500 road miles in one trip and it did awesome (grented, it would have been wayyy more fun in an open Jeep). If the FJC ever comes back though....I hope that they add a useful set of rear doors and get rid of the massive C-pillar blind spots.

All that said...I would welcome a Bronco to the party. Competition is good for all brands.

And that guy who wants a Susuki Jimney.....yeah, me too!

Doc
He’s talking about the tacoma. And I agree. Lol.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... I wouldn't touch one for at least a year. 1st year vehicles are hit and miss on quality issues .....
That's very true. I was considering that very dilemma when I ordered my JL right after they released.
I told myself it would be okay since they were largely the same as the JK. I got lucky and had no major issues, but search the forum and you'll see plenty of growing pains the JL had that first year (weld, paint, electronics, etc). Always a good idea to avoid that first year run, especially on a completely new model.

..... 3. They would actually have to release it. It’s been teased for years, doubt it’ll ever come to fruition.
IDK, the JT was teased for at least two years too. I actually got impatient and figured it was never going to happen either, so I got my JL. Apparently it takes a long time to bring these things to market.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
IDK, the JT was teased for at least two years too. I actually got impatient and figured it was never going to happen either, so I got my JL. Apparently it takes a long time to bring these things to market.
Was anyone doubting that the JT would hit the market with camo'd mules seen in the wild? Hell, it was a given when mules with JK interiors were seen.

I'm not even a prospective Bronco buyer, but at this point I don't see how anyone could think it's vaporware.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Ex-fan of manual transmission trail rigs here and I am now sold on the auto trans with hill descent. Can you detail why you prefer a manual transmission?
I prefer manual transmissions in all vehicles - Not just Jeeps. It’s a more engaging, demanding, and rewarding driving experience.

Now if I were rock crawling or chasing lap times, automatic would probably be the way to go. For pure enjoyment of the drive, though? I’ve got to be rowing my own gears!

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I prefer manual transmissions in all vehicles - Not just Jeeps. It’s a more engaging, demanding, and rewarding driving experience.

Now if I were rock crawling or chasing lap times, automatic would probably be the way to go. For pure enjoyment of the drive, though? I’ve got to be rowing my own gears!
I daily an automatic, I need to mod it to keep it engaging.

A manual as you said just keeps it engaging, even if it's a 90s non-hatch civic

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief

exactly, demanding. Too much work! I’ll take an automatic any day so I can actually enjoy driving!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Was anyone doubting that the JT would hit the market with camo'd mules seen in the wild? Hell, it was a given when mules with JK interiors were seen.

I'm not even a prospective Bronco buyer, but at this point I don't see how anyone could think it's vaporware.
Not so much that I thought it would never happen, so much as a concern of when it would ever happen. Launch dates regularly get rumored, then pushed back. The JT did it, the Bronco has done it. I'm sure the Bronco will launch, but how long does someone want to wait to see if they'll like the real thing, not just the concepts and artist renderings.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Absolutely. And even rock crawling, I prefer a manual provided you are equipped with proper gearing. If your geared too high, you can't crawl for anything in a manual.

One of the key factors in buying my JLUR was the fact that it's the last remaining manual true SUV on market

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
You guys do realize, 148 pages and still no Bronco??? As said before, when (or if??) the "mythical beast" comes out, THEN make a decision.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Wrangler and new Bronco aren’t in the same class IMO. 1st gen. Bronco was in the Jeep class, not this new one. New Bronco and 4Runner seem to be a close comparison. Having owned both in the past, I would probably go with the 4Runner what with Toyota’s reliability over Ford in the past.. But then I’m not shopping SUV’s and haven’t compared the two. Love my JLR, no issues to date,haha.

Thank you Sourdough......it’s what I have been saying all along. The Bronco is NO competition to the Wrangler. They are completely different classes of vehicle.
The Wrangler is a Serious Off Road worthy vehicle that is road worthy.
The Bronco is more SUV.....but that is not to say that it’s off road ability is poor.
On the contrary I and my co-workers have used and abused Ford SUV’s off road (no roads) for many years and I have always been impressed with their ruggedness and their off road capability. They all had IFS and that never seemed to affect the ability. Being off road on a daily basis....it was far and few times that anyone got stuck.
For most SUV buyers the Bronco will be a fantastic purchase and very few will desire more focused off road ability.

But....like Sourdough said....the Bronco is no more competition to the Wrangler than any other SUV out there.

The Wrangler is targeted to the buyer who wants that Ultimate (factory built) off road machine. Nothing else out there compares.

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
As a JLUR owner that will likely purchase a 2021 Bronco (in addition; leaning 2 door), I get a kick out of everyone's take on the Bronco :sun:

My insight is, if the Bronco comes in cheaper than a (similarly equipped) Wrangler, has nostalgic (1st gen) looks and delivers on mod-ability with removable tops & doors and aftermarket parts... it will be a success in making our Wrangler's better (much like the return of the Camaro and Challenger made for a better Mustang).

With Wrangler/Gladiator sales slowing a bit, if FCA sees Ford eating into to their market share, they will respond with more fan favorite features (V8 :fingerscrossed:)

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !

This video explains why...exactly why Jeep remains what it is today.....a success across the entire consumer field...

No doubt that the Bronco will be an excellent SUV. Perhaps one day......many years from now it might have the status that a Jeep has.

Time will tell.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I personally hope for this: Bronco will not take anything from Jeep, it’ll just make the off-road pie bigger. Which is a great thing. I do not see the Bronco not becoming one of Ford’s top selling SUV’s for a long, long time. My guess is if anything it may cannibalize enough sales from others (edge) that it may have them be discontinued though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.