Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I plan to stay stock with the 285/70/17 BFG KO2s. I was thinking of mounting 2x2 gallon Rotopax to the spare tire, by my calculation 24 pounds for the fuel + probably 4-5 pounds for the Rotopax setup, wheel/tire combo should be around 73 pounds. Grand total around 100 pounds. The fuel would only be an occasional add on for longer trips, I do no rock crawling, but some bad roads and muddy tracks are certainly planned. What do you think? Is it worth reinforcing the tailgate, and if so with what system? Many thanks for your input.
Just for anFYI-if you need a reinforcement, I have the Mopar tail gate reinforcement for sale :) DM if you are interested.

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just for anFYI-if you need a reinforcement, I have the Mopar tail gate reinforcement for sale :) DM if you are interested.
Just curious, do you know by how much it increases the permissible load?

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
not to be a dick but do not get the mopar kit, it is not a real reinforcement, if the soft spot the hinges are not changed it does nothing but add weight. I had a rental with the mopar reinforcement on 35's and it flex'd like crazy on the road.

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So you would recommend a hinge reinforcement, or bumper mounted solution? In my scenario, do you think an upgrade is even necessary? I think total weight won't exceed 100 lb.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
not to be a dick but do not get the mopar kit, it is not a real reinforcement, if the soft spot the hinges are not changed it does nothing but add weight. I had a rental with the mopar reinforcement on 35's and it flex'd like crazy on the road.
It's a reinforcement, not a new tailgate. The bracket will make the tailgate stiffer that's it. It won't eliminate all flex.

The rental you say had tons of flex, was it on factory wheels? If not, then the offset of aftermarket wheels will also make this worst by hanging the spare further out and causing an ever bigger lever effect.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It's a reinforcement, not a new tailgate. The bracket will make the tailgate stiffer that's it. It won't eliminate all flex.

The rental you say had tons of flex, was it on factory wheels? If not, then the offset of aftermarket wheels will also make this worst by hanging the spare further out and causing an ever bigger lever effect.
Nope it was on aftermarket wheels and tires, not my first rodeo, heard from allot of other people saying the same thing after buying the Mopar setup. I get the idea of backing up the tailgate itself, but I found that when installing one of three different reinforcement kits that the gate is plenty strong, the weak spot is the hinges.

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

58827920882__05060DCA-6C1F-4B5D-B2FD-DDA7BBEF5BC6.JPG

58827750258__5A6A94AE-DD52-4889-B146-6D0421A1074E.JPG

58827750844__0581A5FD-8E92-4BC9-9D77-2F788FC52B23.JPG

OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Roam slimline rear bumper with tire carrier as well. I have some questions about the tension rod--can I trouble you for some pictures of yours and how you did it? Also, it the opening and closing suppose to be stiff? TIA
Did you get it figured out? Sorry for the delay.

yes. Mine is a little stiff but I don’t mind it.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get it figured out? Sorry for the delay.

yes. Mine is a little stiff but I don’t mind it.
Yes, I found out it was normal
But, I have a little rattle coming from the tension rod that has gotten be stumped. Do you have any rattles or any noise at all?

OP
OP
Cody6597

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I found out it was normal
But, I have a little rattle coming from the tension rod that has gotten be stumped. Do you have any rattles or any noise at all?
I do have some rattling but I’m not sure that it’s from the tension rod. Mine seems to be where the spare tire mount inserts into the carrier if that makes sense.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi All. Picking up 38" Pats and hearing they are pretty light. My total wheel weight is 35 lbs and Discount Tire has the Pats at 83 from what I am seeing. I know the set up will fit with OEM steel bumper with my RC relocation but is 118 weight too much for the tailgate?
Thanks.
What other manufacture hangs a big old heavy spare on a door. Just saying.
My spare’s location.
JL spare's new home.jpg

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
If you go off-road or put a heavier tire on it - YES.

Hunter
Sponsored