Rear differential crap out

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Crap happens and things break sorry it happened to you but it can happen and it does
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Because I thought Jeep diffs were tough. Built for off roading. Not breaking in 16400 km.
I'd be frustrated by this, not amused. You have a good outlook on things.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to check if you have LSD. There is a known issue with Sport, Sport S and Sahara Jeeps with LSD. The clutches wear out prematurely. Rubicons don't use LSD do they don't have this issue.

Replacing the part is not a permanent fix since your dealer will replace it with one that is likely to wear out prematurely.

It is not clear when FCA will have a true replacement part available.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/
There are JLUR’s having the same issues. It’s across the board but more prevalent in the sub models. Dana is aware of the issues with the rear 44’s and is struggling to keep up with demand both to the line and the effected rears. My rear carrier assembly was on back order for 30 days..

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So the problem isn't a faulty carrier assembly....it's the gears or master install kits or is it simply poor set up?
Your guess is as good as mine but the rear carrier assembly fixed mine in my situation. As for the JLUR’s that have been affected I’m not sure what their cure is but I can certainly ask. My take, poor setup. I had more faith in Dana in general before this happened..

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I am sorry to hear of your differential failure but that can happen with any vehicle . Bearings are known to fail even on the most expensive jet plane. I haven't detected here at this forum other members suffering of this type of break down so I do not suspect it is a reoccurring Wrangler differencial problem

Sponsored

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I am sorry to hear of your differential failure but that can happen with any vehicle . Bearings are known to fail even on the most expensive jet plane. I haven't detected here at this forum other members suffering of this type of break down so I do not suspect it is a reoccurring Wrangler differencial problem
Have you read the knock in the rear diff thread? It is happening at a way higher rate than would be acceptable on even the least expensive jet plane.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Have you read the knock in the rear diff thread? It is happening at a way higher rate than would be acceptable on even the least expensive jet plane.

No, not yet. I will look at it. Thanks.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
It's a good read. Luckily that's what the warranty is there for.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I took mine in at 9500 miles. It had been making the noise off and on more or less since I got it. I had thought it was normal but it was starting to get louder so I figured I would have it checked out. When talking to the service guy after he finally heard it he said the had already done a few. I've only been out on forest trails, and park roads. Mainly because my insurance won't cover me if I'm not on a named road. So I just stick to anything with a name or number, so technically I haven't been "off road". I have the LSD also.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Have them put a set of 4.10s in there for you when they have it open. Then you only have to pay for the front. :)

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Have them put a set of 4.10s in there for you when they have it open. Then you only have to pay for the front. :)
Hum.... hadn't thought of that... guess I might as well make a couple of phone calls!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So you only had to have a rear carrier in your case? If that's what was replaced, then set up wasn't likely the problem.

For the Rubicons...I wonder what the problem was. If you could find out, I'd be interested to learn more.

Thanks!
Im talking about setup being the problem on the Rubis

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I replaced my rear diff oil with LSD at 7k miles. It was black as coal but no noise coming from the rear at all. Hopefully its not a sign of trouble coming. My Trans Am has LSD as well and I don't remember the rear fluid being like that at all. I am going to change the fluid again in 5k miles to see how it looks.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Is there any chance the noise is related to backlash? Abruptly letting off gas and hearing a knock? Just wondering
Sponsored