Chrysler extended warranty question

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JL Unlimited Sport S
I currently own a 2018 sport S unlimited with 32k miles, and I typically don't purchase extended warranties. However, I a in a bit of a different situation at his time. After a long journey, I have been accepted to medical school. I'm planning on keeping the jeep for the four years, but I really don't want any huge surprise bills, and I won't have the time to work on it myself. Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a warranty through the dealer? Are you allowed to modify your jeep? I currently have stock rubicon suspension and 33 inch tires on it.
Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I currently own a 2018 sport S unlimited with 32k miles, and I typically don't purchase extended warranties. However, I a in a bit of a different situation at his time. After a long journey, I have been accepted to medical school. I'm planning on keeping the jeep for the four years, but I really don't want any huge surprise bills, and I won't have the time to work on it myself. Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a warranty through the dealer? Are you allowed to modify your jeep? I currently have stock rubicon suspension and 33 inch tires on it.
I have a Max Care Plan on my '18 JL Rubicon- here's the exclusion language for alterations/mods. In essence, you'd have to make a connection between the failure and a modded/added part. Lots of room for interpretation. For example, I think the dealer would be hard pressed to say the failure of a transmission control module could be attributed to the addition of a skid plate. Again, the following is NOT covered per the contract:
  • Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications; (e) aftermarket lift kits; (f) Mopar lift kits (unless you have purchased this coverage as shown on the first page);
  • Lift kits that exceed four (4) inches unless you have purchased Mopar Lift Kit Coverage as shown on the first page; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of a lift kit that exceeds four (4) inches unless you have purchased Mopar Lift Kit coverage as shown on the first page;
  • Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications; (e) aftermarket lift kits; (f) Mopar lift kits (unless you have purchased this coverage as shown on the first page);
  • Lift kits that exceed four (4) inches unless you have purchased Mopar Lift Kit Coverage as shown on the first page; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of a lift kit that exceeds four (4) inches unless you have purchased Mopar Lift Kit coverage as shown on the first page;

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
You could defer upgrades and stash the cash you would have used for upgrades. If you read through the forum there are some dealers that object and some don’t care about upgrades. The latter seems to be the norm though.

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Max Care Plan on my '18 JL Rubicon- here's the exclusion language for alterations/mods. In essence, you'd have to make a connection between the failure and a modded/added part. Lots of room for interpretation. For example, I think the dealer would be hard pressed to say the failure of a transmission control module could be attributed to the addition of a skid plate. Again, the following is NOT covered per the contract:
I figured there would be exclusions, I'm going to have to dig into this. I'm mostly concerned with catastrophic failures, and high priced components.

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could defer upgrades and stash the cash you would have used for upgrades. If you read through the forum there are some dealers that object and some don’t care about upgrades. The latter seems to be the norm though.
I really don't plan on any more modifications at this time. I would have, but now I just won't have the time.

Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I figured there would be exclusions, I'm going to have to dig into this. I'm mostly concerned with catastrophic failures, and high priced components.
That was my rationale too. Just one failed nav radio or electronic module and the warranty will pay for itself.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
With Shop Labor Rates approaching, or over $100 per hour, an extended Warranty makes a lot of sense. I believe Molar Warranties are transferable, and can be refunded if not used..

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With Shop Labor Rates approaching, or over $100 per hour, an extended Warranty makes a lot of sense. I believe Molar Warranties are transferable, and can be refunded if not used..
good point

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Do not do anything but a MoPar warrenty and don't pay full dealer price! Look on line for a dealer that sells for a discounted price then see if your dealer will match, if not buy online! The warranty has to be honored anywhere!

Go jeep!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do not do anything but a MoPar warrenty and don't pay full dealer price! Look on line for a dealer that sells for a discounted price then see if your dealer will match, if not buy online! The warranty has to be honored anywhere!

Go jeep!!!
I planned on going through here
https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/vehicle-warranties

I didn't realize that there would be different prices.

Now that I'm looking at it closer, i don't know if that is an actual mopar/chrysler warranty

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Now that I'm looking at it closer, i don't know if that is an actual mopar/chrysler warranty
Med school is going to be super high stress. It's nice not to have one more thing to worry about if your going to school. A warranty is a solid idea. Don't waste time because you look like your a few thousand miles from a deadline to buy.

There are a few guys online that sell Mopar warranties for substantial discounts. Search Tom Winkles @ Hays Jeep. I spoke with him and he seems to be no BS. Great prices too.

Mopar seems to offer 2 warranties. Max Care and Added Care. Max Care covers a lot more. Look into both to see which fits your needs most. Different lengths of coverage and $0, $100, $200 deductibles available for each to suit your budget. Maybe consider one that gets you through residency.

Always great to hear news of someone doing well and getting into school to start a great career. Congrats on Med School!

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional

Thats the CDJR dealer I bought mine from this week- C.R. Motor Sales- an authorized dealer since the 40's. The link above is for an actual Jeep/Mopar factory warranty. They were great- fast service and great price my local dealer wouldn't touch.

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Med school is going to be super high stress. It's nice not to have one more thing to worry about if your going to school. A warranty is a solid idea. Don't waste time because you look like your a few thousand miles from a deadline to buy.

There are a few guys online that sell Mopar warranties for substantial discounts. Search Tom Winkles @ Hays Jeep. I spoke with him and he seems to be no BS. Great prices too.

Mopar seems to offer 2 warranties. Max Care and Added Care. Max Care covers a lot more. Look into both to see which fits your needs most. Different lengths of coverage and $0, $100, $200 deductibles available for each to suit your budget. Maybe consider one that gets you through residency.

Always great to hear news of someone doing well and getting into school to start a great career. Congrats on Med School!
Thanks! I know it's going to be rough and you're right I don't need another thing to worry about. I'll contact hays jeep about a price. I appriciate all the info.

OP
OP
arjusmc

arjusmc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats the CDJR dealer I bought mine from this week- C.R. Motor Sales- an authorized dealer since the 40's. The link above is for an actual Jeep/Mopar factory warranty. They were great- fast service and great price my local dealer wouldn't touch.
Thanks, I'll get a quote from them too.
Sponsored