Sponsored

Dumping factory fill. What oil is everyone running?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Strong opinion. Curious what you found with the first hand knowledge. Asking honestly,
No point , Use what You feel is best. I’m totally ok with non believers using Fram.
Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
No data, no credibility. You can’t have believers without presenting the data.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've been over it before, but I haven't found a filter that is better than the Fram Ultra or even the Tough Guard in the industry standard 4548-12 test.

If Wix or Purolator do better, they sure aren't making the claim. The most certainly would if they could. Purolator says they remove 99% of dirt, but in what test and what size particles? So, the number as advertised is meaningless.

Btw, I've run both Wix and Fram Ultra cartridge filters in my Mercedes 4.3 V8. The Wix held together just fine, with no flaws or faults, but was MUCH easier to tear apart than the Fram Ultra, and again, in terms of filtering efficiency, WIx doesn't even make a claim.

I've emailed Purolator to try and get their latest claim. I can't remember what they told me last time I checked, but it wasn't even close to the el cheapo Fram Extra Guard. In fact, I'm not sure the Mobil 1 even filters as well as the Extra Guard, which is at 96% down to 20 microns. The Mobil 1 is at 99% down to 30 microns. Whatever you think of the low end Fram, it still posts efficiency numbers that meat or beat most premium filters.

I personally would not hesitate to run the Extra Guard cartridge in my JL. I'd probably even choose it over the Mopar (Purolator).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So far, all I can find is Napa (Wix) may be 83% at 25 microns and 95% at 29 microns. Point Fram, and point Mobil 1, for that matter.

Wix seems to be the brand about which, overall, I've heard of the fewest construction related issues, but they've still had theirs. They've had a significant nuimber of combo (combination anti drainback and bypass) valves that failed to prevent drainback, on some models. I believe Wix even acknowledged that problem and revised the design.

They've all had turds in their product lines, I'm sure.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
JL
Amsoil Signature 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil ASMQT-EA - 5 quarts
WIX Oil Filter (WL 10010-EA)

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Amsoil or Red Line full synthetic with OEM filter (for now until I can confirm something better).

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
No data, no credibility. You can’t have believers without presenting the data.
I don’t think people need provide data to have an opinion. I’m confident in my decisions , if you’re confident in yours. It’s all good. Heck engine rebuilders need to eat too.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a torn pleat in a filter manufactured by Wix. Like I said, they all have their issues. One thing for sure...you won't tear the pleat on a Fram Ultra 11665. Not without pliers or vice grips. The other nice thing about the cartridge filter in the 3.6 is that you can inspect it for defects before you ever install it. That protects you from any brand having a defect. I'm a HUGE fan of cartridge filters over spin-on, for exactly that reason.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5331600/1

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Going to run Rotella Gas Truck 0w20. Probably going with a NAPA gold or Fram Ultra
Good choice. I've run Rotella GT since new. The engine seems to like it and the UOA I sent in came back looking great. Even better, Rotella is running a $10 rebate on a 5 qt jug which makes the oil a great deal. Oh yea, running a Mopar filter for now but I would have no problem with any of the major brands.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Fram Ultra catridge and what ever I have in my oil stash be it Mobil1, Amsoil, PP, RGT, Synpower, etc

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good choice. I've run Rotella GT since new. The engine seems to like it and the UOA I sent in came back looking great. Even better, Rotella is running a $10 rebate on a 5 qt jug which makes the oil a great deal. Oh yea, running a Mopar filter for now but I would have no problem with any of the major brands.
I picked up 3 jugs of GT (5 qt) on clearance at Autozone for $10, got the $10 rebate, and used $30 in rewards. So SOPUS paid me $30 bucks to take their oil! Lol!

One of the jugs of GT is 0w20, the other two are 5w20. I'll run the 0w20 in my daughter's Renegade and the 5w in my JK. She piles on miles much faster than I do, and I've still got a couple jugs of Mobil 1 AP for the JL. I've also got a few boxes of Chevron Havoline Pro DS 0w20, which I think will be a very good oil, too, so I've got a nice stash built up of 0w20. I may run the Pro DS at some point in the JL. Maybe.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I picked up 3 jugs of GT (5 qt) on clearance at Autozone for $10, got the $10 rebate, and used $30 in rewards. So SOPUS paid me $30 bucks to take their oil! Lol!

One of the jugs of GT is 0w20, the other two are 5w20. I'll run the 0w20 in my daughter's Renegade and the 5w in my JK. She piles on miles much faster than I do, and I've still got a couple jugs of Mobil 1 AP for the JL. I've also got a few boxes of Chevron Havoline Pro DS 0w20, which I think will be a very good oil, too, so I've got a nice stash built up of 0w20. I may run the Pro DS at some point in the JL. Maybe.
I learned about the Autozone clearance late but did manage to get 6 qts of 0w-20 for $2 each. After rebate the oil was free (not counting the tax).

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Oil is a religion. There are brand adherents that are best describes as cult members. Truth is, the expensive stuff really isn’t any better than the average priced stuff, and the average price stuff goes on sale to be cheaper than the cheap stuff. Change early, change often, and you’re gonna be happy.

I’ll likely continue to use any SOPUS product in 0W-20. I’ve replaced the factory fill with Shell Rotella Gas Truck, and will use the same on the next change, but may switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum now that’s is available in reasonably priced 5 gallon jugs.

Mopar, Purolator One, or Wix filters are all good.
Sponsored