Sponsored

Jeep won't cover engine if i do my own oil changes.

ReidJL75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU OB Rubicon
My Jeep is a 2020. My first oil change I did myself a bit early as I Drove my JLUR across the country in December. My Dealer called me last week to remind me that my first service is at 8000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 12000km now. I went into the dealer and asked what the service entails and they said it was an oil change. I mentioned I did it myself, logged it and kept the receipts for proof. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if I have any engine problems down the road that jeep will not cover any warranty work on it. It's the 3.6l. I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
Sponsored

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's total BS if they told you that. I also do my own oil changes and plan on doing them when my 2020 comes in. You should look at the Jeep wave and get your four free oil changes from the dealer for free.

https://www.jeep.com/jeep-wave.html

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Here is the States changing your own oil and filter is not a issue as long as you keep records and receipts for the oil and filter.

Not sure what your laws in Canada are? Time to read your owners manual. I would email FCA Canada and ask. That way you get a email confirmation back one way or the other.

I am honestly guessing you are OK but for peace of mind maybe take it in for a oil change now. So you have a documented receipt for a oil change to cover yourself if your dealer is problematic.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, that sounds like a scare tactic to me too, but I don't know Canadian law so it's hard to tell. If that is how it works in Canada, that's a bunch of crap.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I use the note section in the jeep manual for logging the mileage oil and filter brand and weight for everything i do. i also include all warranty work and the mileage it was fixed at there as well. Cannot say i've ever had a problem with it. I owned a 2004 1500 ram 5.7L hemi back in my early 20's drove the crap out of that truck but i did every oil change 2500 miles early and always did the major services myself. at 44k miles my engine started to knock really bad. went to multiple dealers to only hear "everything seems normal" but at the fifth dealer and me complaining they warrantied the motor due to " piston slap in two cylinders" they never asked about my oil changes or service records though even though i was ready to hand them when asked. i wouldn't stress it to much. Keep your records up-to-date and you'll be fine. plus there are still dealers that cant seem to put the right amount of oil in.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
If you do have any problems, take it to another dealer, but know that some in the Hellcat forum have run into the same issue. Warranty claims have been refused for not following oil change intervals and doing the maintenance themselves. Document everything.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My Jeep is a 2020. My first oil change I did myself a bit early as I Drove my JLUR across the country in December. My Dealer called me last week to remind me that my first service is at 8000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 12000km now. I went into the dealer and asked what the service entails and they said it was an oil change. I mentioned I did it myself, logged it and kept the receipts for proof. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if I have any engine problems down the road that jeep will not cover any warranty work on it. It's the 3.6l. I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
Read your warranty.

In Canada, there are anti-competition (monopoly) laws that prevent a business from limiting consumers to one source of products or services.

Last edited:

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I'm at 13K and had 2 dealer applied oil changes at no cost. I'm running a '19 Sahara JLU with the 2.0 Turbo. I'm lucky in that I have a reliable dealer that over three new vehicles bought has always done me right.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm at 13K and had 2 dealer applied oil changes at no cost. I'm running a '19 Sahara JLU with the 2.0 Turbo. I'm lucky in that I have a reliable dealer that over three new vehicles bought has always done me right.
Indeed but last I knew, we hadn't sold KS to Canada, so they are at the mercy of their law of the land. That's why warranties don't work across national borders. Tho I think they should:like:
Sponsored