Sponsored

Anyone using DIY CO2 for tire inflation?

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody in the group make a DIY CO2 tire inflation system? Pros/cons? Things you'd do differently?

I have a hard time justifying the $500+ for a Powertank. The only thing I can see as a potential problem is the regulator freezing but I don't know how much of an issue that is for real world use.
Sponsored

Yakpimp

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Anybody in the group make a DIY CO2 tire inflation system? Pros/cons? Things you'd do differently?

I have a hard time justifying the $500+ for a Powertank. The only thing I can see as a potential problem is the regulator freezing but I don't know how much of an issue that is for real world use.
I built one, but haven't yet filled it up. I have it sitting in my front room.

I debated buying the mounting bracket for the powertank, but don't like how you drill through the wheel well for mounting.

OP
OP

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
I built one, but haven't yet filled it up. I have it sitting in my front room.

I debated buying the mounting bracket for the powertank, but don't like how you drill through the wheel well for mounting.
I'm looking to get their sport bar mounting bracket to save even more floor space in the trunk

https://powertank.com/products/bkt-2240

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Powertank is an amazing product. I had one with my last crawler and I was bummed to let it go. It was kind of a package deal when I sold it. I got a turn key price though.

I had a manifold on it to run my ARB lockers and also had the ability to run whatever else I wanted. Having instant pressure to reset a bead was nice. For typical airing up, I still used a compressor most of the time since it got trailered the majority of the runs I went on. If it was the last day of wheeling and I was going to use the Jeep for local transportation for the rest of the camping trip, I’d air up with the powertank. Nothing beats the powertank for airing up quickly.

That being said, I have a smittybilt compressor. It smokes the two viair compressors that I’ve had.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t know this existed. Wonder if it’s new. Ordering now. Thanks!
Yes it's pretty new. Glad I could help somebody out!

I've already got quite a bit of mods ready to go... just need my JLUR to arrive!

DrowningTurtle

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Army
I have one that I built. Use it all the time. I bought the mounting bracket from powertank and drilled through my wheel well. I love the setup.

DrowningTurtle

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Army
I have one that I built. Use it all the time. I bought the mounting bracket from powertank and drilled through my wheel well. I love the setup.

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

I bought the tank from a local welding supply shop. I ordered the hose from Amazon, and picked up the air chuck from Home Depot. I already had the regulator. I think if you order everything from Amazon, you can get it for around 150-175 bucks. There are a couple of YouTube videos if you search DIY CO2 tanks which will give you directions and links to parts.

73232598_10220368687035165_4256691608314970112_n.jpg

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
My tank is a 15 pound tank. It was about 45 bucks cheaper than the 10 pound tank.

Sponsored

JoFoCoCo

First Name
Josef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Metallic hardtop
I put together my own with a 20# CO2 tank and adjustable regulator from eBay.

Used 20# tanks on CL are very inexpensive ($25 to $50) in Colorado. Apparently people use them to help plants grow faster in their basements. And $10 to swap an empty tank for a full one at a grow store.

Buy the majority of my CO2 tanks life is in my kitchen making seltzer water or root beer, or carbonating grapes and oranges me

Would like a good mount for the 20# tanks...

2019-12-14 18.11.34.jpg

2019-12-14 18.13.09.jpg

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I live in TX. During the summer, it is HOT and HUMID. I talked with a friend and he indicated that in TX, it isn't a good idea to do CO2. He said that the regulator froze over the couple of times he tried to use it.

Is this an issue with the regulator? Or is this something that I have to deal with living in TX?

I know that PowerTank says their regulators will never freeze. If true, how to they address this issue vs universally used 150 PSI regulator that is recommended for DIY systems.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I live in TX. During the summer, it is HOT and HUMID. I talked with a friend and he indicated that in TX, it isn't a good idea to do CO2. He said that the regulator froze over the couple of times he tried to use it.

Is this an issue with the regulator? Or is this something that I have to deal with living in TX?
A bit off topic but almost 40 years ago I worked at a wholesale a/c & heating supply company in Texas. If our 3/4 pickup tires would get low, we'd use the most handy item which would be tanks of freon. I would not recommend it but always wondered about that idea.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I made my own, and use it all the time. Here is an easy list of stuff:

10# Aluminum Tank :
10 Pound Aluminum Tank

Regulator:
150 PSI Fixed Pressure

Air Hose:
1/4" 25' Air Hose

Im using the Power Tank mount, and it works really well. The 1/4" Air Hose wasn't a good choice on my part, as a 3/8" hose would fill tires more quickly.
Tempe is hot, but not necessarily humid? Have you had issues with using this during the summer? I'm trying to wrap my head around usage in a hot AND humid area.
Sponsored