Sponsored

Will JL Wrangler (Rubicon) ride quality be better or worse on highway?

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
The JLU is shaping up very nicely and I'm likely going to get one next year. I know folks buy Wranglers for their off-road capabilities but some of us also need to drive them on roads and highways when not using them for recreation. Do you think the JLU Wrangler (particularly the Rubicon) will ride better on the roads/highways compared to JK?

I know that because of some of the inherent aspects of the Wrangler (solid axles, boxy shape, high ride height) it'll never ride as well as a car but based on what we know and have seen any reason to think it will ride better (than JKU) on roads while retaining the same off-road capabilities?
Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Almost definitely. Upgraded power/tranny/aero along with what presumably will be a larger wheelbase. To top it all off, the interior will be a lot nicer to make any long drive a bit better than it would be in a JK.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Rubicon ride quality will likely be slightly better, but experience the least change because all the improvements will be deadened by stiff suspension and aggressive (and bigger) tyres.

The inner creature comforts will help, but with the Rubicon is still a heavy box riding solid axles designed for articulation and ground clearance, so it will never get accolades from reviewers or anyone expcting a smooth ride. The change in the steering might be the most noticeable improvement to Rubicon drivers.

I'm certain it will be better, not worse, but NOT dramatically so where it would feel like riding in a Grand Cherokee with air suspension.

The biggest change/improvement will likely be felt in the Sahara which will also get the benefit of the on-road updates like CV joints and Selec-Trac which technically won't change comfort, but will change urban soft-roading by eliminating binding, all while riding a setup more tuned for the road with smother tyres and softer suspension and slightly lower ride height for a more planted feel.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
A lot of the Rubicon's highway noise came from the old BF Goodrich M/T tires that were standard on the JK. I'm guessing that they will be upgraded to the BFG KM2 so the ride may be improved a bit but they are still a pretty aggressive tire for the street. If you want a tough looking vehicle with highway manners get a Sport or Sahara and change to 33" Goodyear Duratrac or other all terrain rubber like the BFG A/T KO..

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Most of the Rubicon test mules were running KO2s. I'm hoping there will be an option to get KO2s or KM2s. The KO2s should be much better on paved roads for ride quality. And you can always ask the dealer to swap the rubber for you.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the Rubicon test mules were running KO2s. I'm hoping there will be an option to get KO2s or KM2s. The KO2s should be much better on paved roads for ride quality. And you can always ask the dealer to swap the rubber for you.
Definitely KM2s since the Dealer System info from the Admin showed TT4 - 285/70/R17C OWL Off-Road Tires, and BFG doesn't make the KMs in that size, just KM2s as MTs, just dunno what the C is for as the KM2s are D rated. Even Duratracs at that size are D rated, the smaller prior stock Rubi sizes were C & E rated for non LT and LT sizes. So kinda interesting that it has the C attached.

It would be nice to have a no cost KO2 option on the Rubi, especially for those of us already with tyres rims that would prefer MTRs or the like and just need a capable winter tyre which we could get as a stock option.

Although I wouldn't put much faith in what's on some of the mules as the most recent tyres on the latest semi-uncovered mules seem to bee worn down well used tyres (KO2s and SRAs) that were donors from previous mules, so likely they have on-road and off-road setups that they can swap out as needed based on what/where they are testing.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
It's not uncommon for tire MFGs to make unique tires for vehicles. BFG came out with a 315/70R17 load range C KO2 tire specifically for the Ford Raptor, which you can also now buy (quickly gaining popularity in the overland JK community). It wouldn't surprise me at all if they came out with a new C rated KM2 just for the JL/JT Rubicon... though actually it might, considering the KM3s will be coming out in the near future - oh man, that'd be cool if the Rubicon came with the new KM3s! And I highly doubt they'd fit a load range D tire on a Wrangler from the factory.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
The ride on the current JKUR is pretty darned good. As the stock tires wore down, the ride started getting a little rough...but when I changed out the tires at 45k this summer (to the same BFG MTs), the ride returned to what I remembered.

Compared to the TJ I came from...the darn thing is a cadillac.

I bought this one in 2012...we wanted to go away from the TJ due to having a kid. With the 3.6 showing up, I figured I'd give it a look...(otherwise was going GC). Brought the wife along for a test drive because she didn't want another if the ride was going to be the same. She almost immediately gave a thumbs up after we left the parking lot for the test drive. It was that much different (granted...the TJ was with a 4in lift, 33s...so it was definitely "rough"...personally I didn't mind it)

If they manage any improvements...cool. If not...cool. Honestly only so much you can do with solid axles front/rear.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I highly doubt they'd fit a load range D tire on a Wrangler from the factory.
They've never had LT tyres stock from the factory either, and with the increased payload & towing capacity it makes sense to give the Rubi and Max Tow equipped Wranglers the proper D rated rubber wigh a higher load rating (120+), even if towing heavy loads with MTs isn't usually the wisest choice, this would be the proper vehicle for that combo.

However BFG making a crippled version of the KM makes just as much sense since GoodYear did the same with the Duratrac in stock 255/75/17 Rubicon size making them SL/C rated instead of the typical D & E, but again they were Passenger class tyres not LT. So... a lot of conflicting 'logic'.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm optimistic it will be a LOT better on the hwy. Upgraded steering, wider axels, better aero, more powerful engines, 8 speed transmissions, better lighting all should make it better on the long drags on the hwy.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
They've never had LT tyres stock from the factory either, and with the increased payload & towing capacity it makes sense to give the Rubi and Max Tow equipped Wranglers the proper D rated rubber wigh a higher load rating (120+), even if towing heavy loads with MTs isn't usually the wisest choice, this would be the proper vehicle for that combo.

However BFG making a crippled version of the KM makes just as much sense since GoodYear did the same with the Duratrac in stock 255/75/17 Rubicon size making them SL/C rated instead of the typical D & E, but again they were Passenger class tyres not LT. So... a lot of conflicting 'logic'.
The current 255/75R17C KMs are LTs, as are the 265/70R17C KO2s used on the Winter edition.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The current 255/75R17C KMs are LTs, as are the 265/70R17C KO2s used on the Winter edition.
Well I guess we'll see, since the previous stock KM2s on a Rubicon were the E rated 265/70R17 with a 121 load index, so I guess anything possible at this point based on previous actions.
Sponsored