Sponsored

Who will be providing the GPS Nav software for Uconnect?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hey folks,

Does anyone know who will be providing the GPS Navigation software for the JL Wrangler Uconnect system?

Will it be Garmin? I hope it's Garmin.

(P.S. How hard do you think it will be to hack to get map updates installed?)
Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Hey folks,

Does anyone know who will be providing the GPS Navigation software for the JL Wrangler Uconnect system?

Will it be Garmin? I hope it's Garmin.

(P.S. How hard do you think it will be to hack to get map updates installed?)
Yup you're right it's Garmin.

I know that the latest Uconnect 8.4 can update its software over-the-air, but not sure if that includes GPS maps (hope so!)

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
Here's how you update nav maps on a 2015 Uconnect

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
That's why they make shrouds, like they did when you wanted single-DIN in your double DIN or 1.5 DIN odd size radio hole in prior vehicles.

And being a universal sized platform for all FCA vehicles, there is going to be replacement options in a few years.

It's all still better than those odd shaped units of the 80s and 90s that moulded into the console and no aftermarket radio/kit ever look good wiith.

IMG_0932.JPG

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 10 year old Uconnect in my JKU, and they just offered me an update on DVD. It is 150 bucks, though. Not sure I want to do it.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 10 year old Uconnect in my JKU, and they just offered me an update on DVD. It is 150 bucks, though. Not sure I want to do it.
FCA offered me the same thing for my 2013 that only 4 years old. Not sure it worth it. What it really needs is a firmware update for the Bluetooth.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm not paying $150 USD (=$200 CAD) four times a year just to have up-to-date maps on my console just because they are too stupid to offer a lifetime maps option for the Uconnect.

That's extortion.

Surely there is a way to sideload the maps from my portable Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps subscription over to the Uconnect.

Does any car manufacturer do it right and offer a reasonable price for lifetime maps? Or are they all as dumb and blind as FCA in this regard?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not paying $150 USD (=$200 CAD) four times a year just to have up-to-date maps on my console just because they are too stupid to offer a lifetime maps option for the Uconnect.

That's extortion.

Surely there is a way to sideload the maps from my portable Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps subscription over to the Uconnect.

Does any car manufacturer do it right and offer a reasonable price for lifetime maps? Or are they all as dumb and blind as FCA in this regard?
Better yet is just to get the screen (no nav) and then use Apple Car Play our Android Auto for nav. Your nav on your phone will always be up todate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm not much of a smartphone person. Plus I like the Garmin system, and it doesn't require a massive data plan and cell phone signal to work.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm not much of a smartphone person. Plus I like the Garmin system, and it doesn't require a massive data plan and cell phone signal to work.
Phone navigation doesn't need data or a signal,if you use the right app.

Even with Google maps you can download a chunk of map you're going off-roading with.

Most updated maos will always be the phone as it get crowd sourced feedback, whereas even the GPS comoanies onoy do quarterly refreshes at best.

Most OEM car units are not lifetime maps and require an expensive update.
What's ridiculous is that most of these updates cost more than a brand new stand-alone unit with lifetime maps.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would intentionally cripple the built-in system in this way, and basically force people into other solutions.

Like you said, it would even make more sense to buy a new Garmin portable every quarter and then throw the old one in the trash then to pay for a map update on the Uconnect.
Sponsored