Sponsored

Which trim level do you plan to purchase?

Which trim level do you plan to purchase?

• Sport

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Sahara

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Rubicon

Votes: 58 64.4%

• Total voters

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Who needs air conditioning in a Wrangler, go topless!
Says the guy in Canada :)

As much as the cold/snow is sometimes too harsh for topless driving, the sun/humidity (in so far as it creates flash storms we see here) can be as well. It would help if they made for quicker to attach/detach panels for those situations. It's all well and good that the interior is easy to hose off for offroading dirt, mud etc but when it's also your commuter those 5-10 mins to put on the freedom top (assuming you actually have it stored in the back) can mean you arrive to work completely drenched. Or if there's traffic (meaning no wind to cool you down) even with the top off the sun will fry you and leave you with swamp ass all day Lol.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The heat index here where I live has been 125°F at times in summers when I owned a YJ with a bikini top. It's friggin' miserable. A/C is a must not only for the excessive summer heat, but also to help dehumidify the interior so you can see out the windows on foggy spring mornings.

Thats for sure. The 3:73 gear Option has gone up to $695 , Air Conditioning, now $1300, Destination Charges now $1000.
Thats for the NE. Each option has gone up $100 + since 2015. I looked on the " Build " section of the Jeep website.
It would pay to take delivery at the Factory, and drive home. Road Trip !
Last time I got a new Jeep in 2013, the 3.73 option was $95 (which is a joke because it costs them $0 extra to install them at the factory). Now it's $695 as you noted. The overall cost of a 2017 JKU exactly like mine has gone up $4,000 in 4 years. It's just insane. Most of the JKUs on my local dealers lot are close to $40k, with a lot of them well over $40k.

Wranglers are supposed to be fun vehicles. But once you start passing the $40k mark, you start noticing that there are many VERY practical and nice vehicles that you could buy, such as full size crew cab pickup trucks. It really makes it harder to justify buying a Wrangler. I wish they'd stop letting the price balloon like it is.

OP
OP
Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Wranglers are supposed to be fun vehicles. But once you start passing the $40k mark, you start noticing that there are many VERY practical and nice vehicles that you could buy, such as full size crew cab pickup trucks. It really makes it harder to justify buying a Wrangler. I wish they'd stop letting the price balloon like it is.
None of which -and I mean none- are as capable as the Wrangler, especially being one of -if not the only- to offer a SFA.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
If you do that, you're likely to return to your topless Wrangler at the mall, finding partially empty soda cans tossed into it. :angry:

Sponsored

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
I ain't made of money, and on top of that I live in California(expensive as hell) so it looks like I will be getting a bone stock 4 door sport. The only option I will be getting will be the hard top and on top of that I will buy a set of BFG 31's to put on at the Stealership. Then in the near future lockers, front axle upgrades, bigger tires, lift etc....

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I ain't made of money, and on top of that I live in California(expensive as hell) so it looks like I will be getting a bone stock 4 door sport. The only option I will be getting will be the hard top and on top of that I will buy a set of BFG 31's to put on at the Stealership. Then in the near future lockers, front axle upgrades, bigger tires, lift etc....
Judging by your avatar it looks like you already got a JLU Rubicon :cwl:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
If you do that, you're likely to return to your topless Wrangler at the mall, finding partially empty soda cans tossed into it. :angry:
Hasn't happened yet thankfully, *knock on wood* but I know it's always a threat, especially if you park next to a Yota. :asshat:

Still more concerned about someone cutting the windows to get at what they think is there despite my 'de-valuabling' the contents to discourage that.

Anywho, I know the value of AC (it goes from -40c to + 40c her) despite me not wanting or using it (it's only on in my Jeep when I remote start it for the passengers to listen to radio while they wait for me... all with the roof off of course with the A/C cooling the planet).

However anyone complaining about it shouldn't be getting it if it's that expensive in their mind. I don't have it on the JK, was included by default the the JKU trim, but compared to the past it's not that bad, the increased axle costs has gone up way more than the A/C,
It was about a $600 option on the CJs in the 70s-80s , about the same on my YJ, about $900 in the TJ, and now it's $1300, so not that bad. Heck it was almost that much on my Mustang LX in the 80s if it weren't part of the package I ended up getting (similar to what happens in the Wrangler up-models). After inflation $1300 now is a bargain. Just ike airflight making it more ubiquitous made people appreciate it less.

Here are some pics of random examples on the interwebs as reference.

IMG_0229.JPG IMG_0230.JPG IMG_0231.JPG

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
I have a JK Rubicon, and one is enough for me, I'll be going for the Sport or Sahara this go around. This all depends on powertrain, and other options though offered on which models etc.

Sponsored

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
JLUR, auto in the Penta....
Military Green fingers crossed.

If that happens I have won lotto...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JK Rubicon, and one is enough for me, I'll be going for the Sport or Sahara this go around. This all depends on powertrain, and other options though offered on which models etc.
Agreed. It depends on how the options are laid out for me. I have a Rubicon now, but not sure I need everything on it, nor that I want to spend the money on it again. Like someone said in a earlier post the 40-50K range open a whole lot of options. Full Size Trucks, Luxury SUVs, and for low 50s you can get into a HD Diesel 2500 Ram (and build your own AEV Prospector). Yes none of them will be as capable as Jeep on the Rubicon Trail, but last time I checked I have never wheeled on the Rubicon and if I did it would be in a cheap XJ not a $40K+ rig.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
We love our Jeeps. They ride bad, they make strange noises, comfort is not really an option. Regardless JKU, JKUR, JLUR and soon a JLR. Happy wheeling to all regardless the flavour.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Bought a Rubicon twice, wouldn’t buy anything less if you I was buying new again.
I must agree with that.
Sponsored