Sponsored

What's more important to you? Offroad or Open-air

Why do you choose the wrangler as your vehicle of choice?

• Offroading capabilities

Votes: 53 44.5%
  • Open air lifestyle

Votes: 66 55.5%

• Total voters

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Open air! Thats why a Wrangler and Miata are the best combo!
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Thankfully with the Wrangler there is no need to make this choice. It would be a huge mistake for Jeep to ever change the fact that Wrangler has always had both.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It's the open air for me. I wouldn't care if the jeep was half as capable off-road. I'll rarely take it off-road. But I'll pull the top down as often as I can. And my experience is with a YJ and the numbers of snaps and zippers it took to get that top up and down was ridiculous.

Frankly I am puzzled by people who buy a wrangler and don't ever take the top down. If you are hardcore off-roader I get it. But for others spending over $40k there are a lot nicer fixed top options in that price range.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It needs to be both, that’s what it’s always been, and why a Mustang isn’t a Wrangler, and a 4runner/Bronco isn’t a Wrangler.

The best thing about the Wrangler is that you specifically don’t have to give up either and can have it all, now including storage space (vs earlier Wrangler/CJs/etc).

Also the number of Wrangler buyers you’d lose from the loss of a removable roof would be much higher than if Jeep dropped the Rubicon level trim and just offered Sahara levels of off-roading, or even just GC levels.

It’s easier to make a lesser vehicle more off-road worthy, much harder to make a non-convertible an acceptable & useable convertible.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can you link to this? (not being a jerk, but would love to read about that). Reason I ask is the last I saw was that it was being developed in Australia and they purchased some JKs to use for comparison testing.
It has been many months, but it was an interview with a Ford rep. I'll try and find it, but it may take a bit. The primary thing he said was that they viewed the Wrangler Unlimited as primary competition. He said it would not be as hard core as a Rubicon, but would still have good off-road capability.

Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I too would like a few more choices since the two listed are both equally valid to me.

Highly doubt Jeep would trade off one choice for the other, considering that they took a high dose of flack when they switched from round to square headlights imagine the uproar if they did something even more controversial.

Though I don't think this option is high on anyone's list here I would say, 'fashion statement' may apply to some buyers.

Also there are likely many buyers who have no intention of driving off road but want a vehicle that is rugged and that is capable on road in severe winter conditions. Or for that matter in severe weather conditions. The latter is actually one of the reasons my wife just bought her Ram pickup, because we have been looking at the way our climate/weather is getting more intense and we wanted a new reliable and capable vehicle to replace her car. I on the other hand am looking to replace my car with a Wrangler since we don't really need two 4x4 pickup trucks and because the Jeep slots into a spot in our vehicles that will be easier to park yet as capable or more capable than the truck.

Speaking of the Ram, she bought a Rebel mainly for the look but also for the better ride from the bigger off road tires and suspension it came stock with. We had originally been considering the Sport model but one dealer we were at test driving trucks at had a really rough lot that turned out to be an excellent test 'track' full of ruts and pot holes that really showed off the advantage of the bigger tires and better suspension vs the lower profile 'street' tires. The other option that was quite impressive and useful was the self levelling air suspension. It has a number of settings from aero which drops the truck .6" for slightly improved highway aerodynamics to a 2" lift for off road work as well as an almost 2" drop to allow folks like me who are vertically challenged to gain easier access. Granted she opted for the side steps as well. The air suspension might be a rather interesting option on a Jeep though the flip side for me is the more electronically operated devices under the truck the more potential for problems down the road. But should Jeep put something like this on a Wrangler I would certainly take a look and do a test drive before dismissing it.

So anyhow I think there are a few other reasons,

- fashion statement
- bug out vehicle
- severe weather capabilities
- nothing else like it on the road

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
curious minds want to know.... why buy a 4x4 convertible offroad vehicle is you wont use those unique features?
Up till the point that Jeep came out with the hard top with the removable roof panels I wasn't keen on the idea of a hard top. The 'new' design with the removable front panels was a game changer for me. Ok that and the fact that I always thought T topped vehicles were a cool idea.

The flip side in my case is that I need a vehicle I can secure contents wise and having lived with soft top Jeeps for almost 35 years I can tell you that it can be a PITA to go into the city and have to worry that someone has helped themselves to the contents of your Jeep. Probably why I skipped across the YJ, well ok that plus the square headlights and hummed and hawed about the TJ as I know just what a headache removing and storing the hard top is. I actually gave my CJ's hardtop away this summer because the place I was storing it was being sold and because I like driving it with the top down more and didn't want to put a winch system in the garage.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Open air! Thats why a Wrangler and Miata are the best combo!
I never cared for the Miata. I'm reserving judgement on the new design until I see it more. It might have promise. However I agree about the open air. That's why a Wrangler and a Corvette Convertible are the best combo. I guess that's why we have so many vehicle choices - everyone likes something different.

Pete

geospyder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Mo" 2019 Mojito 2 Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Many, many years ago I used to wonder what was "out there" while driving down the road and seeing dust way off in the distance. Now I'm the one making the dust and I now wonder what other's are thinking as I pull back on the blacktop with the dusty Jeep. Long story short I voted the offroading capabilities. I'm currently in St. George, UT where my wife is competing in the Huntsman World Senior Games. While she competes I roam around the Utah and Arizona desert getting the Jeep dusty. I actually committed a cardinal sin yesterday - I washed the Jeep - kept getting a face full of dust every time I opened a door :) Tonight we head back up to Northern Nevada using Hwy 93 and Hwy 95. There will be a couple dusty roads to explore along the way. BTW - my open top sports car "was" the MR2 Spyder. Literally ran it on every road track in California and a few in Nevada.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
My dream car has ALWAYS been a 4 door, AWD, SUV Convertible with lots of ground clearance, and this new 2018 with the powered soft top is ALMOST my dream come true.

I'm getting rid of this for the new JLU
17157430_10208583467448492_683298537238923807_o.jpg

18491566_10209185631022205_9173829660021384087_o.jpg

Ever since my first motorcycle, I haven't been able to own a car with a fixed roof. I can't drive without the feeling of open air anymore. Hopefully the Wrangler's roll bars and window frames won't ruin the convertible experience too much. I would have gotten the Evoque, but it's too damn expensive and I'm a bit tired of only having 2 doors.

Sponsored

eztarget

First Name
Ez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Sahara
As I approach 50 it's definitely open air now. I've driven only JEEPS since 1988 so back then it was off road but time and wisdom changes you! :beer:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
both capability offload by 52% 48% open air

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I want to be able to drive it on sand dunes, and in forest preserves and fields. I don't need the rocky cragg breakover angle type off roading.

So overall I would be satisfied with a lighter, sand/beach oriented open-air, soft doors/soft top, or stowable panel top, and stowable hyperlight quick remove half doors or something similar.

I think there is definitely a market for a less robust, lightweight, super fuel efficient eco wrangler lite, sub sport possibly, which is aimed at youth who want the open air lifestyles waaaay more than they want it to have all the advanced rock climbing Ish.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I'd like to offer a third idea to the Jeep Wrangler's potential appeal, as seen in the JKU MOAB SAFARI concept:

"OPEN LIGHT" / "OPEN VISUALS"

It's akin to open air, but more safe for Safari, and great for sightseeing and roaming thru any setting, and being aware of high angle photo potential.

Imagine firing from the drivers seat over a Fold down windshield, in a Savannah or wide open grassland, and having the full visual advantage of being able to see a prized gamebird in flight above you, but with the safety of plexiglass panels that could be removed quickly if wanted.

Or just the mere luxury of seeing the full sky, in a hot desert, or in a rainstorm, from below UV/infrared/mirror tinted glass/lexan, which would block over 95% of heat.
Sponsored