Sponsored

What do you love about the JL/ JLU ?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'll lead off, the Designers kept the JL "Evolutionary" in form and function. You know instantly it's a Jeep Wrangler. No guesswork required. The structural improvement to the windshield , the fold-down glass are "must haves" for me. Standard side airbags, rear camera , improved driveline, all icing on the cake. Plus, knowing there will be 10 years of upgrades and options to build with !
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The new fender flares, and the interior. Those are the best points to the design.

The rest is still....Wrangler.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I like that it seems much more rounded.

Like that the dash seems to sit back further, isn't quite so thrust into the front seats.

Like that the soft top has a better curvature up front rather than the tented look.

Like the backup cam, like the inclusion of CarPlay and a touchscreen radio unit.

Like the AC vents in the back seat - will make long trips to the beach in the Jeep viable with my little turkeys in the back seat.

newJLUguy

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I'm just happy that I'm getting one! :)
However, I'm digging the new interior and can't wait to have Carplay and more USB ports for charging devices. I like the look of the front end, the rear A/C vents (I have kids too who will appreciate that in the summer), and the backup camera.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Here are the things that I love about the JL's. mind you, these were not enough to get me to buy one, as I just bought a JK last week, but still love these things, some of which were previously available after market, but nice that they are now part of the standard package:
  • backup camera, as I have young kids at home, so like that additional safety feature / requirement. think that is a good thing.
  • getting rid of the zippers on the soft top, and now having them be able to just slide out the windows. I went soft-top only on my new jeep, but I am seriously considering getting the Glide for a xmas gift to myself, and just putting the stock top in storage and keeping it nice for that eventual trade in some years down the line.
  • the larger stock tires. the stock tires on the JK sports were just sad for such a bad ass vehicle
  • the ability to put larger 35" tires on it if you choose to do so without the need for installing a lift kit, lets those of us on a budget do some really popular mods at a more reasonable cost.
  • some of the new colors coming MY18. The last couple of years, a lot of the colors on the JK have been uninspiring / blah / sad IMO.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Well I don't love the $2,000 price increase but anxiously waiting to see what is now "standard equipment" on a Base Model JLU vs JKU as that will be my budget. I'm thinking 17" alloys vs 16" steel wheels. 32" tires vs 29" tires. Maybe power windows and locks standard? 3.45 vs 3.21 axles although I planned to add max tow package for 3.73 which may no longer be an option on Sport. 8 speed vs 5 speed auto. Slightly better MPG. Back up camera. Door checks. Side air bags. Full roll cage. Hopefully I'll have a chance to compare them side by side on the dealer lot.

I've held out for over 1 year waiting for details on the JL. In the mean time I purchased a 2017 Accord so I have time to research and shop while enjoying 40+ MPG.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I love that a car company is still producing an open top live axle 4x4. Given the fate of so many other 4x4s, got to give Jeep credit for keeping the Wrangler around.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
SelecTrac !!!!!!

..then the ZF8.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
backup camera, as I have young kids at home, so like that additional safety feature / requirement. think that is a good thing.
If you got the 430 radio in your JK do the backup camera mod. Very cheap and easy if you already have that.

Otherwise easy to add with somehing like the Magellan GPS with DashCam and RearCam support (you don’t need the $150 adapter for it, an RCA to mini jack for $5 will add it for a total of about $25 ontop of that.

Very easy mod, and definitely worth it, have had one or the other on all my JKs.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Well I don't love the $2,000 price increase but anxiously waiting to see what is now "standard equipment" on a Base Model JLU vs JKU as that will be my budget. I'm thinking 17" alloys vs 16" steel wheels. 32" tires vs 29" tires. Maybe power windows and locks standard? 3.45 vs 3.21 axles although I planned to add max tow package for 3.73 which may no longer be an option on Sport. 8 speed vs 5 speed auto. Slightly better MPG. Back up camera. Door checks. Side air bags. Full roll cage. Hopefully I'll have a chance to compare them side by side on the dealer lot.

I've held out for over 1 year waiting for details on the JL. In the mean time I purchased a 2017 Accord so I have time to research and shop while enjoying 40+ MPG.
I came up with a similar list. Also rear AC vents, easier (hopefully) to use soft top without zippers, different colors (personal preference).

Sponsored

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
This is speculative based on what we have seen or can assume, but is liable to change:
  • Uconnect touchscreen options of 5", 7", & 8.4” with a screen off button. AND specifically Apple Carplay.
  • Push button start & proximity keyless entry
  • Front and rear grab handles for all occupants.
  • Engineering improvements of:
    Lighter doors (aluminum). Easiest yet fold down windshield. Improved torsional rigidity of the frame, (ex. YJ to TJ torsional stiffness saw a 15% increase from a 25% thicker frame) not even including the JL's new integrated rollbar/cage substructure. Minor wheelbase & track improvements increase stability. And lastly, mild suspension revisions and tweaks, including upgraded axles (spy pics show mild geometry changes).
I think all of these will culminate into a really refined Wrangler.

Last edited:

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
1) JL Rubi with OEM High Line fenders to allow 35s without a lift!
2) Diesel!
3) Interior!
4) AUX buttons!

Last edited:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I love lots about it, but for me the feature that stands out more than any is the 5 position transfer case. However that is the ONLY thing I like about the Sahara. I think the Rubicon, for me, is superior in every other way except SelecTrac. Yes I know I would loose the 4:1 in the RockTrac but I would trade out those t-cases in a heartbeat.

All this said I am holding out for the JT but am overly excited and reading about the JL for clues. FCA if you are listening could you please put SelecTrack in the premium (off road) trim level of the JT? Please, Please, Please. Oh and a manual transmission too. Thanks

Cannonaz

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Yukon
The electronics honestly - being able to charge devices, the back up camera, and the ability to keep key in my pocket to get in and start the car. As lame as that sounds to the group, that really was the three biggest points why I got one now and not an older one.
Sponsored