2016_jeep_grand_cherokee_dashboard.jpg
Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised if it looked a lot like that. Maybe swapping for round vents like a JK.
Yes @Milous said there'll still be 4 round air vents in the JL. Just lined up across.

Lots of changes. For example, the 4 round air vents now line up left to right, with the center ones being on each side of the radio (instead of below the radio).

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not a fan of the round vents in general, as no accessory vent clips work on them, but they are easy to stick mirrors to for when you take the door off, so either/or I guess.

JBlackoutK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Not a fan of the round vents in general, as no accessory vent clips work on them, but they are easy to stick mirrors to for when you take the door off, so either/or I guess.
My wife drives a Mini, trust me those crappy little bullseye style vents are way worse lol. At least ours have one long surface to grab onto.

The round vents are good for when the top is off at night and you can blast heat in any direction. By far the most versatile vents I've ever used. They also allow it to close nice and neat when needed. Hopefully the new location higher up on the dash works just as well.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah they are versatile, just mean no purchase point for the standard vent freshner for winter or device holder clip-on for temporary passengers.

I also hope they leave the outside ones relatively in the same spot, because if they are significantly altered in position they might not work as side mirrors anymore.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Since the 8.4" screen will be able to be purchased with or without navigation, I wonder if it will be able to play videos/films, from a storage device/USB stick ? I hope it won't require DVD Navi system.

And I hope an aftermarket coder can code it to play VIM.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Hope it works well. Really sick of fighting the Bluetooth in my JK.
Its terrible isnt it? Its annoying you have to reconnect everytime you turn the car off to play audio over the radio.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Its terrible isnt it? Its annoying you have to reconnect everytime you turn the car off to play audio over the radio.
Are you saying after every ignition start you have manually reconnect your phone again? I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine just takes a while to connect, but if I turn off bluetooth while driving the only way to get it to pair up again is by restarting the ignition. That lag with phone calls is annoying too.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying after every ignition start you have manually reconnect your phone again? I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine just takes a while to connect, but if I turn off bluetooth while driving the only way to get it to pair up again is by restarting the ignition. That lag with phone calls is annoying too.
If I'm streaming from Spotify off my iPhone, and I get out of the car say to fill it with gas, when I get back in and restart the car, I have to go back under devices and select my iPhone again to get it to play. It might be because I have two phones and iPod hooked up, but I would think it would remember what device you where last on. Also after restarting its take on average like 90-120 seconds to reconnect. It may not seem like a LOT but but if I want to listen to music or make a phone call when I get in the car it feels like forever.

Sponsored

Omar Brannstrom

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2013 unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary
From 2015 Alpine X009-WRA 9" oversized Navigation radio specific for 2012 - up Jeep Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler JL Verified: 2018 Wrangler JL/JLU Will Get 3 Screen Sizes {filename}

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That Alpine is way WAY too expensive for what it is. $3-4K is better spent on Amp & Speaker. Same can be said of the stock option pricing.

The only good thing about it is the external accesories control unlike most other android units, but not worth the price-tag over other options based on that alone.

It also took them forever to bring it to market, I remember chatting with an Alpine rep about it in 2013 or 2014 on a flight to Vegas and the challenges they were having and weren't able to get them ready for CES that year, then when they finally did show, their to-market time was delayed again.
It took too long to get to market now it's soo late to the game it arrived just in time for the OEM upgrade. Would've bee worth close to that much 3-4 years ago, now there's simply too many options out there offering similar enough features sets for much MUCH less.

Last edited:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Aftermarket companies still seem to struggle to build intelligent, well-designed user interfaces for their radios. Despite the audio quality and features, I have yet to see a single radio/nav unit from Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, or Kenwood with a UI that doesn't look like it was designed by an 8-year-old. This is why Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are so popular.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
^ This. Thats what made me give up on aftermarket systems. The UI is terrible on all of them.
Sponsored