DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 will be Standard, 3.6 optional. It's possible that some upper trim models or special editions would have the 3.6 as Standard.
That really sucks. So now something that would have been standard is now extra money.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Only 3 engines will be available at launch:

3.6L Pentastar upgrade
2.0L Hurricane
2.2L Diesel (export only)

All 3 will have ESS

-Milous
Will the base model be a manual 2.0L then? Will the manual also have ESS?

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr

3.6L Pentastar upgrade
2.0L Hurricane

All 3 will have ESS

-Milous
Naturally, FCA once again screws the NA market by not having a diesel wrangler. Another Pentastar it is with subpar MPG for me, as I'm not playing the waiting game on the NA Diesel.

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I'm hoping the top of the line Rubicon comes available with a mini 2.0L Hurricane. I know I am probably in the minority, but I favor MPG over power for a DD.

Hopefully Jeep allows more choice.

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
Naturally, FCA once again screws the NA market by not having a diesel wrangler. Another Pentastar it is with subpar MPG for me, as I'm not playing the waiting game on the NA Diesel.
Agreed - I'm ready for a diesel engine but it seems like FCA just won't supply what the consumers are looking for. Perhaps this delay is caused by the current investigation with the ECOdiesel engine? I won't purchase a JL until a solid powertrain aftermarket forms. If I'm going to have to have a 3.6 Pentastar than I'll need some type of forced induction to be satisfied.

I sold my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary a few months ago and one of the deciding factors was the powertrain. While the 3.6 does okay, it's just not up to the task of turning 37" tires, even with a 4.56 regear. I just feel like the engine is working too hard to support applications such as this.

Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Agreed - I'm ready for a diesel engine but it seems like FCA just won't supply what the consumers are looking for. Perhaps this delay is caused by the current investigation with the ECOdiesel engine? I won't purchase a JL until a solid powertrain aftermarket forms. If I'm going to have to have a 3.6 Pentastar than I'll need some type of forced induction to be satisfied.

I sold my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 10th Anniversary a few months ago and one of the deciding factors was the powertrain. While the 3.6 does okay, it's just not up to the task of turning 37" tires, even with a 4.56 regear. I just feel like the engine is working too hard to support applications such as this.
If you're open to forced induction, you could consider the Hurricane 4 cyl turbo. It's supposed to be getting up to 300 lb-ft torque which will be more and come on earlier than the Pentastar's torque. That would help the underpowered feeling you get with 37" tires.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
The 2.0 will be Standard, 3.6 optional. It's possible that some upper trim models or special editions would have the 3.6 as Standard.
Question for @Milous and the panel: what are the chances the diesel comes stateside mid model year 2018, or does this mean it will be earliest 2019+

Based on the info thread the 2018 JL will be a full length model year production so it'll be a long wait until September/October 2018.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What about Towing ? I have a 2dr, manual, and occasionally tow Odds 'Ends . Will the Base Hurricane have a tow capacity , and if so, what will it be (Milous)
My current JK rating is less than a JKU not for drivetrain, but for the shorter wheelbase.
The Hurricane Base will be a Mighty Mouse to pull like my 3.6 !

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm hoping the top of the line Rubicon comes available with a mini 2.0L Hurricane. I know I am probably in the minority, but I favor MPG over power for a DD.
Likely you won't see a large difference in the fuel economy from the Hurricane. The problem is that it being suck a small base displacement, it will struggle to push the unaerodynamic brick of a Wrangler through the wind on the freeway. So it, will likely be on boost quite often.

It may still get an MPG or two over the Pentastar, but likely won't be as big a delta as had the base displacement been 2.4L which would've had a better chance of cruising without boost.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm hoping for 22 MPG combined with the Hurricane. Do you think that is realistic?

Sponsored

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
I wouldn't be surprised if it was anywhere from 1500-2000
No one knows, yet. Obviously. None the less, I fully expect this to be yet another option to jack what will admittedly already be a high price tag.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping for 22 MPG combined with the Hurricane. Do you think that is realistic?
Reach that with EPA numbers? Sure, because as noted last year they are optimistically overstating the 4cylinder figures.

https://www.cars.com/articles/epa-recalculates-mpg-ratings-for-2017-1420690830380/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...odern-turbocharging-autocover-0216-story.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...nomy-can-be-worse-not-better/article29705614/

Real world will depend on whether you mod it much, and of course where and how you drive. The difference of just tyres on my old Rubi and current A-X is between 1-2 MPG (from lighter low-rolling resistance Silent Armor, to heavier KM, to the heaviest E+L rated Territory). Also I will never resch EPA numbers thanks to being 4,000ft above sea level.

But even the Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.2 and highest gear ratio and AT tyres is in the 22 combined range, so a Wrangler with the new 8-speed and SRA tyres (likely even Duellers would be OK) and the leisurly 3.21 axle gearing should easily be able to squeeze 22 MPG out of both testing and real world. Remember that with the new 8-speed wider spread and higher first gear ratio a 3.21 axle won't feel as sluggish as it used to, especially on the new vs old auto. You might even be able to do it with the 3.73 axle gearing considering the spread and OD gearing too.

However, add more aggressive tyres like the KO2 or KM2 seen in testing, or a lift then the probability drops with each successive non-efficient add-on.

Still likely gonna be a noticeable improvement over current, just from transmission alone (manual might struggle more due to lower first gear and shorter spread), but people just need to set proper expectations that if it is indeed close to the ~300HP/300lbft numbers that match the Alpha tune and early quoted statements, it's unlikely to be an efficiency first tune. However if they make the base engine a proper 'base enine' with a 'base tune' for reliability and DD/grocery-getter usability, then it ill likely come in closer to the 240-250 range seen in other non-perfomance-car 2.0L turbos, then it will likely meet a combined 22 MPG fairly easily.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one knows, yet. Obviously. None the less, I fully expect this to be yet another option to jack what will admittedly already be a high price tag.
Or it could be a way of lowering the entry/base price tag. Remember the JK had a lower base price than the TJ initially.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport

3.6L Pentastar upgrade
2.0L Hurricane

All 3 will have ESS

-Milous
Grrrrr @ export only.
I'm curious how many other vehicles FCA could offer for North American market with 2.2ecodiesel once it is certified here ?

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
seriously.

This is terrible.
2.2, 2.8, 3.0 any deisel would be very welcome by younger consumers, not just off road dudes needin torque.
Sponsored