Standard Engine..??

1. MotorMan

MotorMan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    jeep
    Liked:
    I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Some sites (Allpar for example) are claiming the Pentastar V6 will be the base engine and JL Wrangler Forums is reporting that the Hurricane I4 will be the base engine. This is critical to a buyer like me because I don't want to end up having to pay $2000 for the V6 to avoid having to drive an unreliable, Italian-designed gutless engine.

2. BillyHW

BillyHW Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Chrysler 200 LX
    Liked:
    If I had to guess, I'd say the 2.0T is standard on the 2-dr and 3.6 standard on the 4-dr, with an option to switch to the other engine at no charge.

3. Bullring

Bullring Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Cherokee
    Liked:
    Interesting. Why would the 2 and 4 door have different standard engines than each other though? Just trying to understand what the purpose would be that maybe I'm missing.

I've been wondering the same thing as OP for a while and tend to believe this site's info which has been solid.

4. Lee H Greidanus

Lee H Greidanus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Former jk owner
    Liked:
    I would guess because the 4 door weighs more

BillyHW likes this.
  5. OP
    MotorMan

Vehicle(s):
    jeep
    Liked:
    I really fell in love with the Pentastar. It was in my last 2 cars and gave me 0 issues. It also sounds wonderful despite being a Chrysler V6, lol. The idea of a 2.0 turbo 4 in a 4x4 with solid axles and BFG mud terrains.. no bueno.

6. Armycop

Armycop Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 JK Wrangler
    Liked:
    I was thinking the 4 cyl may be standard on Sport and Sahara. Rubi needs a 6 or the diesel.

7. OP
    MotorMan

Vehicle(s):
    jeep
    Liked:
    I agree. I think the Rubi will definitely be getting the 6 cylinder as standard. The 4 really just doesn't belong.

8. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I think the 4 will be plenty powerful, but I'll still take the 6 or the diesel. I drive a Rubi every day with less power than that 4 will have. I had a YJ with a 4 with 120 hp. I still loved it and wish I still had it.

9. Armycop

Armycop Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2012 JK Wrangler
    Liked:
    They just redesigned the 2018 Chevy Traverse and the FWD 6 cyl gets up to 27 MPG on the highway. The FWD "RS" 4 cyl Turbo version only gets 25 MPG on the highway. The Traverse is about the same weight as the JKU but is a little more aerodynamic. The Traverse is also running with a 9-spd auto vs an 8-spd for the JLU. I think the 4 will struggle in the Wrangler.

10. Jeepsterfreak

Jeepsterfreak Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Honda, Future JLU
    Liked:
    I really hope this is not the case. I'm holding out for a Sport JLU. I will be disappointed if the 4 cyl is standard with no option for 6 cyl on a base model.

11. Jeepsterfreak

Jeepsterfreak Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Honda, Future JLU
    Liked:
    Grand cherokee 4x4 lists 18/25. Hoping JLU can achieve similar mpg with same engine and tranny.

12. OP
    MotorMan

Vehicle(s):
    jeep
    Liked:
    The option for a 6 cyl on base model will definitely exist. Jeep would be more than happy to take your money lol!

13. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Chevy Tahoe, 1996 Honda Odyssey
    Liked:
    Since the manual transmission is only offered with the 6 cyl, I think it will be the base engine. Unless they decide to make the auto standard and charge a premium for the manual/pentastar combo but that would be a departure from what they have done in the past.

four low likes this.
  14. four low

four low Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 JK
    Liked:
    Whats needed for better mpg ? Lighten up vehicle ; increase aerodynamics ; smaller, more fuel efficient engine ; reduce parasitic drag on engine by delegating workload to stand alone systems ( electric power steering, electric water pump ). The increased drag of a generator under load is offset by the duty cycle not being continuous ; the belt-driven water pump is always robbing power; likewise the belt-driven power steering pump.
    I think the 4 T , with the 8 spd Auto, is a strictly MPG effort to meet CAFE standards. How it will do in Real World, off road, will be interesting to see. A 500lb weight reduction from current (3800 lbs) will bring it to TJ fighting trim, almost.
    The old YJs and TJs, with their 125-145hp 4 bangers weighed in at 3,000 lbs. Their fuel economy , real world from my experience, was 23, absolute best, typical 18mpg, combined.
    I can't wait for this endless Suspense and Speculation to end, with an ACTUAL JL to see, drive, Test !!
    My no frills 2015 JK 2 dr, gets 17-18 combined. Thats at 3800 lbs, 3:73 gears, 6spd manual.

orey22 likes this.
  15. Ian cj10

Ian cj10 Active Member

First Name:
    ian
    Vehicle(s):
    1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
    Liked:
    thats terrible i get 16 mpg out of my old fsj cherokee with a 6.2 chev diesel & im not kind to it