Sponsored

So much speculation.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Town and Country and Austin Healey 100
We'll see. My 99 tj died last december. After 17 years and 300k miles, it was time to let her go. I like the new look, don't like the way the top is shaping up. The roll bars were fine. I won't buy something that I pop off panels. That's a clincher for me. Which would be sad. I'd hate to wait a year on a new jeep and waste a summer with a crappy holdover vehicle hastily bought while wait to see what move to make just to end up with a jk.
Sponsored

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
We'll see. My 99 tj died last december. After 17 years and 300k miles, it was time to let her go. I like the new look, don't like the way the top is shaping up. The roll bars were fine. I won't buy something that I pop off panels. That's a clincher for me. Which would be sad. I'd hate to wait a year on a new jeep and waste a summer with a crappy holdover vehicle hastily bought while wait to see what move to make just to end up with a jk.
If your going to be buying used I would suggest getting a JK, but if you are looking for a new Jeep I would recommend the JL. The JL will have a removable top just like the JK did so you don't have to worry about that. If you look at the sticky you can find out all the info you need to know about the JL.

GOBOGIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ with 301k and counting - Energizer Bunny
If your going to be buying used I would suggest getting a JK, but if you are looking for a new Jeep I would recommend the JL. The JL will have a removable top just like the JK did so you don't have to worry about that. If you look at the sticky you can find out all the info you need to know about the JL.
Just recently read the stickies myself. A lot of information available. I was surprised how much.

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
Have you seen the revealed images with the top off? http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/say-hi-to-the-2018-jeep-wrangler-jlu.726/

Whole top still comes off, not just panels, leaving effectively just a roll cage structure.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I seriously don't think the top is going to change save for refinements that improve leaks and noise. If you look at virtually every photo of a JL that has an exposed top, it looks almost identical to the JK in terms of function and design. Same fiberglass construction, same unpainted white interior, and same removable panels. The JK soft top has improved drastically since they added cable tension a few years back (and refined that even further afterwards), but it's still not perfect, and I would argue whatever major changes they've implemented are going to be there. Yet, look at a photo of a JL with a soft top and it almost looks the same, too.

Pop-off side and rear panels would work if they were connected to the cage with arms and clamps as opposed to a B and C-pillar frame attached to the actual body. You'd get the modularity of a soft/safari-top and still retain the classic cage design the Wrangler has had for forever. However, if you're concerned with the JL significantly changing how the top works, I don't think you'll need to worry. Based on the bazillion spy shots, the bulk of the changes are in the dash and under the hood.

You're right, though. This is all speculation. But a lot of rumors of big, unwelcome changes were squashed when the first leaked photos came out.

Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I seriously don't think the top is going to change save for refinements that improve leaks and noise. If you look at virtually every photo of a JL that has an exposed top, it looks almost identical to the JK in terms of function and design.
Plus, with the top off, the new bar structure will actually serve as rollover protection.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Town and Country and Austin Healey 100
Plus, with the top off, the new bar structure will actually serve as rollover protection.
That's what I don't want. Some funky bar structure. I want the classic roll bars. Actually, I'll probably just by a jk and be done with it.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
I seriously don't think the top is going to change save for refinements that improve leaks and noise. If you look at virtually every photo of a JL that has an exposed top, it looks almost identical to the JK in terms of function and design. Same fiberglass construction, same unpainted white interior, and same removable panels. The JK soft top has improved drastically since they added cable tension a few years back (and refined that even further afterwards), but it's still not perfect, and I would argue whatever major changes they've implemented are going to be there. Yet, look at a photo of a JL with a soft top and it almost looks the same, too.

Pop-off side and rear panels would work if they were connected to the cage with arms and clamps as opposed to a B and C-pillar frame attached to the actual body. You'd get the modularity of a soft/safari-top and still retain the classic cage design the Wrangler has had for forever. However, if you're concerned with the JL significantly changing how the top works, I don't think you'll need to worry. Based on the bazillion spy shots, the bulk of the changes are in the dash and under the hood.

You're right, though. This is all speculation. But a lot of rumors of big, unwelcome changes were squashed when the first leaked photos came out.
I think you're probably right but I think another big refinement we will see besides improving leaks and noise is the process of removing and reattaching the roof. The few photos of the under the roof interior looks like it has a different attachment point and latch system than the current turn/twist and screw on as tight as you can method. While it's nice not needing any tools it does take some finagling to ensure it's fitted and sealed properly.

Just saying there could be a less cumbersome solution to the long bolts and the L shaped latches. I would love to see a simple push-pull latch system that clips on and off quickly while saving me the trouble of storing away the bolts.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Just saying there could be a less cumbersome solution to the long bolts and the L shaped latches. I would love to see a simple push-pull latch system that clips on and off quickly while saving me the trouble of storing away the bolts.
The two long bolts likely remain, as they would be required to keep it in place for rollover, etc.
You don't have to leave them in place and remove them each time, most people leave them out during warm weather (for me spring and fall outside of soft top time), but then when not removing panels for months the screws go back in for added strength.
I would like to see an improvement in the size/length of the thread in the tip of the bolts to make them even stronger and easier to thread, but I can't see them going without something similar to replace them that is equally more secure than just clips or latches which pop when deformed.

Sponsored

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
The two long bolts likely remain, as they would be required to keep it in place for rollover, etc.
You don't have to leave them in place and remove them each time, most people leave them out during warm weather (for me spring and fall outside of soft top time), but then when not removing panels for months the screws go back in for added strength.
I would like to see an improvement in the size/length of the thread in the tip of the bolts to make them even stronger and easier to thread, but I can't see them going without something similar to replace them that is equally more secure than just clips or latches which pop when deformed.
That begs the question are the bolts really needed to keep it in place. In a rollover why wouldn't the L latches be sufficient? Without those turned can the screws hold the roof bolted down by itself or are both needed? Given a choice between which one to FORGET to put on in a rollover (screws or the latches), I'd go with the long screws. The bolts themselves obviously create a tighter seal for wind/water but I question that they alone can do a better job keeping the roof down in a rollover.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
That's what I don't want. Some funky bar structure. I want the classic roll bars. Actually, I'll probably just by a jk and be done with it.
Grab some chill and wait a few months to see for yourself. The CGI render from one of the suppliers clearly shows a substructure that's identical to the current sport bar design. It's really no different from how the current JK looks with the tops off whilst being infinitely stronger as a structural member of the body itself.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I think you're probably right but I think another big refinement we will see besides improving leaks and noise is the process of removing and reattaching the roof. The few photos of the under the roof interior looks like it has a different attachment point and latch system than the current turn/twist and screw on as tight as you can method. While it's nice not needing any tools it does take some finagling to ensure it's fitted and sealed properly.

Any improvements there are certainly welcome. The OP seemed to be overly concerned about the top in concert with the cage design and based on what we've seen, the roll cage doesn't look to be changing much either.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
That begs the question are the bolts really needed to keep it in place. In a rollover why wouldn't the L latches be sufficient?
No the clips aren't sufficient, once the frame/roof flex, they can pop out.

Without those turned can the screws hold the roof bolted down by itself or are both needed?
Both help, and both can fail, the screws have a higher tolerance, however they are only two points in the roofs, so if you strain is properly you can either sheer the bolt or wrench the bolt free of the anchor point with enough strain, especially in multiple rolls, etc.

Given a choice between which one to FORGET to put on in a rollover (screws or the latches), I'd go with the long screws. The bolts themselves obviously create a tighter seal for wind/water but I question that they alone can do a better job keeping the roof down in a rollover.
It's not a choice of either / or it's either bother or just clips, unless you use just the screws as some weird rebelious statement.
As for what's more secure, I'll take something that's screwed in place vs plastic friction-only clips are trying to push against a deformed frame that's no longer square. However I leave them out in the Fall and Spring for convenience, despite knowing from experience that the clips alone don't work.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
No the clips aren't sufficient, once the frame/roof flex, they can pop out.

Both help, and both can fail, the screws have a higher tolerance, however they are only two points in the roofs, so if you strain is properly you can either sheer the bolt or wrench the bolt free of the anchor point with enough strain, especially in multiple rolls, etc.

It's not a choice of either / or it's either bother or just clips, unless you use just the screws as some weird rebelious statement.
As for what's more secure, I'll take something that's screwed in place vs plastic friction-only clips are trying to push against a deformed frame that's no longer square. However I leave them out in the Fall and Spring for convenience, despite knowing from experience that the clips alone don't work.
Of course both help and both are needed for safety but I brought this up as a question of whether they could be redesigned to eliminate the need for screwing on and off to remove the roof which is the most time consuming part. Leaving the screws out in warm weather saves time but in certain areas such as where I am flash storms can occur with little notice and as you know water will come in through the screw locations. I'm not suggesting they just get rid of the screws and leave the current latch design but there must be an alternate method that will save time while maintaining safety. Still hoping to see some innovation in this department with the JLU.
Sponsored