Sponsored

Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Um... Not sure where you get your information but the admin already confirmed the tailgate still opens from the left.
Which doesn't match the image provided which clearly has the two hinges in the left and the handle on the right, all while keeping the steering wheel on the left. That is readily available in this thread, no additional info required.
Although as pointed out earlier there seems to be a blemish in the image where a gas cap would be, which could show a right hand drive image flipped, which would explain the door and steering wheel location as the RHD vehicles still have the filler cap on the left and not on the driver side.

As for confirmation, it seems a lot of what they are doing with their own concept render is based on details from this new image, not from previous reports, soooo...

And there's a very clear circle, not just a wheel well bulge, in the side there.
There is, though it wasn't easily discernable on tablet as it is now on PC, so didn't notice it first time around.
While it may be in the render as such and an indication of a return to a side mount option, with it being there and apparently shallower than the wheel-well area near the cage junction point, that would make it pretty shallow for a cone design, it looks to be even shallower than the depth of the current model in the floor.
Sponsored

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
I feel like you're the kind of person who ends up posted in /r/iamverysmart fairly often. But... whatever.

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
Now we just need the powertrain specs!

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
The possible reason for the flipped brackets on the tailgate is likely to address a common complaint of reviewers about the rear door being hard to access from the curb and requiring the driver to open into traffic when parked roadside. Usually not a major complaint of owners, especially since the redesign means we are more likely to have to walk around it when loading in a garage or on the trail, but if it gives reviewers one more thing to note as 'new' , user-focused , etc update, then sure whatever. Foldown pickup tailgate style wasn't possible with a tyre carrier unless it was 2 part, and barn doors while a popular request wouldn't have addressed the reviewer complaint.
I get the complaint but all it takes is for one to get behind the tailgate (not to the side of it) when opening for easier loading. The one issue I would have with moving the hinges to the left and having the door open from the right is that if you're parked roadside and loading/unloading it's yet another swing out door (and this one with a large spare tire mounted to it) that another car or someone on a bike can crash into. It's not the lightest or most manageable door either so you're not going to just swing it out of the way when you see someone coming dangerously close.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Not flipped, steering wheel is on driver side, and the sub is no longer in the side it's in the floor, so you're lookng at the wiring and wheel-well bulge not a sub.

The possible reason for the flipped brackets on the tailgate is likely to address a common complaint of reviewers about the rear door being hard to access from the curb and requiring the driver to open into traffic when parked roadside. Usually not a major complaint of owners, especially since the redesign means we are more likely to have to walk around it when loading in a garage or on the trail, but if it gives reviewers one more thing to note as 'new' , user-focused , etc update, then sure whatever. Foldown pickup tailgate style wasn't possible with a tyre carrier unless it was 2 part, and barn doors while a popular request wouldn't have addressed the reviewer complaint.

Now the lack of even the mounting features for a tyre carrier on the back are a bit of a concern, hopefully they are just for rendering purposes, as an underneath mounting position doesn't work for off-roading (reducing clearance & depature angles while increasing risk of damage/puncture), plus greatly limits tyre size options, and an inflation kit like in most modern vehicles to save weight is also equally a non-starter... especially on a Rubicon.

Now this could be a flipped RHD image, but in all likelyhood the reason for the rear camo is precisely because they have flipped the rear door for easier access/loading from the curb.

BTW, that would also likely mean aftermarket carriers for the JK and their accesories would likely not work with the new JL setup. Even some of the water/fuel/shovel accessories would likely not work if they were designed around the angle/side of the carrier attachment.
Sorry I think your still wrong as its obvious that the gas tank is on the side shown and the gas tank filler cap is usually on the drivers side. Also I don't see where you see a steering wheel in that photo, as I dont see any wheel in that image on either side.

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Sorry I think your still wrong as its obvious that the gas tank is on the side shown and the gas tank filler cap is usually on the drivers side. Also I don't see where you see a steering wheel in that photo, as I dont see any wheel in that image on either side.
Can we tag an admin to maybe just kinda move the watermark slightly out of the way so we can see if there's a steering wheel on the wrong side?

Also - since this came from Europe it very possibly is a RHD image flipped.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I am not an engineer, so there may be a very good reason for this, but can anyone explain to me why, when jeeps have fully removable doors, they don't mount the side mirrors to the frame instead of the doors? would save people a lot of effort trying to mount after market mirrors to make their vehicles street legal when the doors are off. I was hoping this would be a change in the JL, but alas, does not seem to be the case.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My guess would be people would be smashing their doors into the mirrors all the time, and they dont want to deal with replacing them.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. The doors on the old CJs used to hit the mirrors, and the mirrors were not positioned well at all.

Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Yup. The doors on the old CJs used to hit the mirrors, and the mirrors were not positioned well at all.
I guess that is a good answer to my question then. I bought permanent after market, frame mounted mirrors for my 2010 JKU, and with the door strap, it prevents my door from hitting the mirrors. The mirrors stick out really far, so the major problem I have is people banging into my mirrors in parking garages, but it makes life much easier when taking doors on and off. I just removed the mirrors from my doors and leave the aftermarket mirrors on all year. These engineers, you would think they could figure this out.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
It looks like it was designed to not upset JK owners, many of which will probably become JL owners at some point. Personally, I think they could have pushed the design envelope further without alienating their core customer, but it looks like they played it super safe. I'm not too enthused about the JL from these leaked photos, if I'm honest, but I'll have to wait a bit longer to see press photos and eventually in the flesh.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
I think they figure people mod the heck out of their Jeeps anyway so why bother making too many exterior changes. I bet the real improvements are on the roof, doors and windshield. And engines/trans/tech of course. I'm also willing to bet the interior is much more modern now.

Personally I dig it. I was considering a JK already but seeing this now makes me want to wait.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Which doesn't match the image provided which clearly has the two hinges in the left and the handle on the right, all while keeping the steering wheel on the left. That is readily available in this thread, no additional info required.
Yeah, but then you have this image that's several months old that totally shows the hinges on the right.

Jeep Wrangler JL Say hi to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU {filename}

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Yeah, but then you have this image that's several months old that totally shows the hinges on the right.

I'll see your fuzzy image and raise an actual spy pic of the tailgate swinging open like the JK. ;)

That should leave little doubt.

Sponsored