First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
To sum up, I think we will get a 3 piece hard top that functions the same as the JK hard top.
Sadly... I think you're spot on. We get a spoiler now though.

Kinda reminds me of how all the new lacrosse helmets have a rear spoiler thing going. Instantly makes the older ones look much older now.

51cDCBX0QeL._SX300_.jpg

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
To sum up, I think we will get a 3 piece hard top that functions the same as the JK hard top.
I hope not simply for the fact the 3pc hard top is a PIA to remove. It takes two normal people or one large strong dude or a winch system installed in your garage. I hope at least the glass it removable because at least the would make lifting the top a lot easier as one person, however its size and shape would still make it awkward to remove solo.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Tell me more about the real panel not being a separate piece from the roof.. please.. lol

IMG_5126.JPG

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Tell me more about the real panel not being a separate piece from the roof.. please.. lol
Sure, the tape is also on the other side all the way to the fenders.
Must mean the lower body panel and fenders are 3 piece as well... right? ;)

IMG_1086.JPG

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I noticed that at first too, but I realized its the Velcro the black cover that usually covers the back sticks too.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I was referring to the seam under the rain gutter. It, by no means, looks attached to the rear panel. I'm sure pushing it a little bit to see if it would slightly give would tell us if the rear panel is attached to the roof or not. Now.. anyone want to run down some JLs?

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, its real. There's a long thread on another forum documenting the guy's work. He was looking to sell them. I don't know where it is now. He was making heavier rear hinges and a one piece rear gate/window. It's pretty awesome.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That's Jeff Scherb on the JK forum, he's made a lot of really clever and useful things for the JK.
Many of them are in production, see RetoFit Off Road and MorHyde. The "Barn Door" that he designed , built , is probably going to be on the JL. Hoping so !
His Modular Hardtop panels, Sliding Window kit for 2 and 4 door hardtops are in production now, I think

Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
That's Jeff Scherb on the JK forum, he's made a lot of really clever and useful things for the JK.
Many of them are in production, see RetoFit Off Road and MorHyde. The "Barn Door" that he designed , built , is probably going to be on the JL. Hoping so !
His Modular Hardtop panels, Sliding Window kit for 2 and 4 door hardtops are in production now, I think
Thanks for the info.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Top thoughts...

I personally like the fully open feeling of having the top completely off. Which is why I never bought a bikini top for my TJ. So for me, a sling setup in the garage to lift and separate for going topless is enough. Short answer. :dance:

BUT... The idea of a modular top we have spoken of extensively here is absolutely the way FCA should have gone. A rigid safari top with side panels out would absolutely be the best for hot areas like Moab and anywhere in Arizona. If they didn't design this type of top (and it's looking like they didn't) I think they really missed the mark. :headbang:

Long answer: While I came here specifically to research and ogle the JLU, the JT has pretty much won me over at this point. I feel like it'll be better for what I haul around, will have better options for pop-up camper config, will tow more, and for the coup de gras, the top on the JT, if the rear glass slides down or pops out, will fit this ideal with all side windows rolled down. Or can simply be taken off.

:jk:

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
We haven't seen the soft top yet. Jeep did say a while ago that they were no longer using the traditional soft top on the Wrangler.

I know there were test mules with the soft top on them...

Jeep Wrangler JL Panel-Hardtop Theory {filename}

But those too are heavily camouflaged. Maybe there is some type of rigid system in there?

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I'm thinking the rear glass may have more to it than the JK. Zoom in on this photo:

1. Notice the gas struts - they go all the way down to the bottom of the hard top. I'm going to hit them loading hockey bags for sure - but why are they mounted that way now?
2. The white strip along the glass. Looks like the rear defroster banks. I knocked off the pin on my JK hard top before (pain), I figure the wiring to the wiper motor may be inside that white strip. Likely why the glass now has that wide black strip on both sides?
3. Don't see a release latch for the glass. Looks like just the mount for the hinges.
4. Glass side mount on the gas strut looks like it could be adjustable. I know many cars now have an adjustable point their rear hatches can open to; maybe same here? If adjustable, could be detached? For flipping over?
5. Glass fully open - still slack on the washer tube - for flipping over?
6. Seems like the wires for the defrost and wiper are on the left side.
7. Looks like few wires running down the rear sport bar. Test mule - but wonder what they have wired either up high or down low?
8. Location of the wiper and motor now adds more load to the gas lift struts. JK location closer to hinges easier on them.
9. Wish this was my job crusing around testing a new Jeep. Wonder if these folks read us here and laugh. You know they would if they saw us guessing.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Seams all around the rear panel now. Opening on top of the roof closer to the rear indicated that the roof's inner portion will be removable separate from the hard top. So the rest of the panels being removable isn't too far off.

Sponsored