Sponsored

Panel-Hardtop Theory

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm not sure I buy in to the removable side panels so I may need one of you to convince me further. If the roof is independent of the rear side panels, what would the sides attach to for support with the roof off? What about the back window? I think it'd look pretty weird to be driving around with the roof off and your doors and rear panels still on like a giant cardboard box :cwl:

Totally removable rear windows would be cool but I think that's overcomplicating things. It'd be neat if they popped out a little like rear windows on vans
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm not sure I buy in to the removable side panels so I may need one of you to convince me further. If the roof is independent of the rear side panels, what would the sides attach to for support with the roof off? What about the back window? I think it'd look pretty weird to be driving around with the roof off and your doors and rear panels still on like a giant cardboard box :cwl:

Totally removable rear windows would be cool but I think that's overcomplicating things. It'd be neat if they popped out a little like rear windows on vans
I'll convince you, one way or the other, in about 100 days

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Wasn't there rumors of a fixed glass top? That might explain why it's missing a seam by the door.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I saw some interesting plastic clips in the window frame of a Chief on the lot when I recently had my windshield replaced.

I'm heading by there tonight for hockey, I'll see if I can grab a picture of it to post here.
It was strange looking and I remember thinking it made it seem as if the glass were removable.

Sep 20 Updt: Went into the Dealership today for some more winter prep, and saw some other ones on the lots with these silly shipping window clips things, not just for the side, but also front, and also not specific to Chief, they were on Sahara, Sports, etc.

So... NOTHING SPECIAL TO SEE HERE.... Move On.... :asshat:

IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
(Update at Bottom)
Argh! They sold it.

They weren't integrated into the window, they were small thin black plastic loops that protruded a bit, and just seems to slid into the window frame of the side-rear hardtop windows. Never seen anything like it before.
Noticed them immediately when strolling through the lot killing time checking out the new arrivals, didn't think much of it at the time as it was on a Chief, and onoy the 3rd I'd seen in person so thought it was a bit off 'special edition' bling.

Might be somethig to hold shipping wrap in place or something else, I dunno.

Sep 20 Updt: Went into the Dealership today for some more winter prep, and saw some other ones on the lots with these silly shipping window clips things, not just for the side, but also front, and also not specific to Chief, they were on Sahara, Sports, etc.

IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I would unquestionably get this feature, if it meant I could store the removable sunroof panels and removable rear windows in the cargo area of a JLU, and take them with on a day with a mixed forecast.

The entire state of Florida loves this idea.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Imagine utilizing those side roof gutters to also act as a "slide lock" mechanism to quickly attach a super light super slim factory pop up camper, without requiring removal of whichever top (soft or hard) is underneath it ?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Could that be a "Barn Door" ( swing out one piece , like a Van) hiding under the Camo ? As an option, it would be very useful

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
The glass in that last pic looks more removable as it looks a lot more inset then its does on the JK.
Vegas I think you're on the right track as the camo is not continuous. it's broken where the glass meets the body as if the window could be moved

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
The simple explanation is that the JL's hard top is no different than the JK's other than the full length rain gutter, and that the JLU in those Rubicon photos has simply had it's top removed and put back on for some reason, hence the split in the vinyl camo where the side windows meet the body tub.

We've seen unwrapped photos of the top so we already know that the hard top still has JK-styled Freedom panels over the front doors. The JK's hardtop is already a "3 piece" top -- two freedom panels plus the rear section. If the JL has removable side panels it'd be a 5-pc top.

That said, I kinda hope I'm wrong. Removable side panels would certainly make hardtop storage easier as the whole thing would/could basically break down and be stored flat. And if the rear glass flips up 270 degrees (similar to the patent drawings we've seen) or can be relatively easily removed, you could essentially run with a full length hard safari top.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The simple explanation is that the JL's hard top is no different than the JK's other than the full length rain gutter, and that the JLU in those Rubicon photos has simply had it's top removed and put back on for some reason, hence the split in the vinyl camo where the side windows meet the body tub.

We've seen unwrapped photos of the top so we already know that the hard top still has JK-styled Freedom panels over the front doors. The JK's hardtop is already a "3 piece" top -- two freedom panels plus the rear section. If the JL has removable side panels it'd be a 5-pc top.

That said, I kinda hope I'm wrong. Removable side panels would certainly make hardtop storage easier as the whole thing would/could basically break down and be stored flat. And if the rear glass flips up 270 degrees (similar to the patent drawings we've seen) or can be relatively easily removed, you could essentially run with a full length hard safari top.
it would be a very sad thing, if there was not an option for "take it with you", removable top panels and removable rear windows, storable in cargo area. These features dominated early predictive mock ups, enough to even scare people into thinking Wrangler might be releasing a non 4x4, entry-level, sub-sport, aluminum unibody, mall crawling Wrangler, with no sport bar, just a fixed roof with panels.

I, for one, think sales to young people, especially girls who won't off road except on the beach, would be great with this feared entry level wrangler-lite.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Argh! They sold it.

They weren't integrated into the window, they were small thin black plastic loops that protruded a bit, and just seems to slid into the window frame of the side-rear hardtop windows. Never seen anything like it before.
Noticed them immediately when strolling through the lot killing time checking out the new arrivals, didn't think much of it at the time as it was on a Chief, and onoy the 3rd I'd seen in person so thought it was a bit off 'special edition' bling.

Might be somethig to hold shipping wrap in place or something else, I dunno.
I have a Chief. Standard hard top as before. Maybe added padding with the fancy white hard top? Or, since it has the white top, first time they stood out as you drive by. Maybe every JK had them and they just blended in until the dealership removed them.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Another user just posted pics that add to my theory. There is a large tarp on top of this Jeep's hard top, meaning they are definitely hiding something. Additionally, the camo is cut in the same seems around the rear window panels. I'm willing to bet the panels on top and on the sides come off to leave behind a cage-like hardtop. It makes the most sense.

IMG_4889.JPG

IMG_4890.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG
Sponsored