Sponsored

Panel-Hardtop Theory

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
So for all my engineers in here, all the people who get the technical aspects of this, let me ask you a question. Operating under the assumption they do make this a "6 piece" top, ie three piece roof, 2 side windows, and the rear, what is the capacity to build a false floor in the cargo area, where you could take the hard top with you when you go? Is there any chance they could do that? Because the problem with the current hard top is not only needed someone, or a machine, to help you get it off, but also that you don't have it with you if you want to go away for a week per se, and have to worry about it raining and not having a top to put on.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
So for all my engineers in here, all the people who get the technical aspects of this, let me ask you a question. Operating under the assumption they do make this a "6 piece" top, ie three piece roof, 2 side windows, and the rear, what is the capacity to build a false floor in the cargo area, where you could take the hard top with you when you go? Is there any chance they could do that? Because the problem with the current hard top is not only needed someone, or a machine, to help you get it off, but also that you don't have it with you if you want to go away for a week per se, and have to worry about it raining and not having a top to put on.
My guess would be that it's probably pretty slim chances that would happen. I'm guessing that the engineers and designers at Jeep feel that people who want that much versatility, will get a soft top, or now maybe the powered top. If the Powered top is indeed a fabric, retractable center section on the roof and has removable side windows, It would (seem) to allow for a scenario as you described above with fewer pieces to store.

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
Which is exactly why both of my JK's were "dual" top. Sacrificed cargo space during the hard top seasons to enjoy the summer soft top months! With the many upgrades/improvements the JL seems to have in store for us, the re-designed top options are what I'm most anticipating with bated breath...

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which is exactly why both of my JK's were "dual" top. Sacrificed cargo space during the hard top seasons to enjoy the summer soft top months! With the many upgrades/improvements the JL seems to have in store for us, the re-designed top options are what I'm most anticipating with bated breath...
all 3 of my jeeps so far were dual tops, but when I bought my current one, I eventually took the hard top off and just threw it behind my shed, and haven't put it back on in the last 4 years because I just got tired of the off and on, so I just go soft top year round now, which I have found is not a big deal, they retain the heat good enough in the winter time to be a year round top IMO. I am sure my hard top will look and function beautifully 6 months or so from now when I trade in my JK for my JL after having sat out in the elements for the last 4 years.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I would put my hard top on, I would take the soft top off completely and store that, so as not to lose that cargo space. It is not that difficult to take it all the way off and store it

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
When I would put my hard top on, I would take the soft top off completely and store that, so as not to lose that cargo space. It is not that difficult to take it all the way off and store it
Jeep even tells you to do this...

XFinn - you left the soft top in your Jeep all winter? Jesus.. Why?

BTW - all Jeeps are 'dual tops' as the body has provisions for both hard and soft tops regardless. Only difference is that the Jeeps sold with a hard top have the switches and connections for the rear defroster and wiper already installed. Other than that - the same.

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
Makes sense. Guess I was either lazy or (truthfully) didn't think of it!

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
Jeep even tells you to do this...

XFinn - you left the soft top in your Jeep all winter? Jesus.. Why?

BTW - all Jeeps are 'dual tops' as the body has provisions for both hard and soft tops regardless. Only difference is that the Jeeps sold with a hard top have the switches and connections for the rear defroster and wiper already installed. Other than that - the same.
Hammer, I'm seeing the error in my ways! Duh! What an idiot (I am)!

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense. Guess I was either lazy or (truthfully) didn't think of it!
the bitch of it is trying not to lose those tiny ass little screws that fasten it to the roll bar. that was always my nemesis.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
the bitch of it is trying not to lose those tiny ass little screws that fasten it to the roll bar. that was always my nemesis.
I just put the screws back in or left the bracket on the roll bar all winter. The top just hooks to the bracket first for the 13-17 tops.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
..what is the capacity to build a false floor in the cargo area, where you could take the hard top with you when you go? Is there any chance they could do that?
The problem with that is ride height clearances, and limitations due to drivetrain needs.

The floor of the jeep is very high because there's a centre drive shaft down the middle, and every inch of space that could become a false floor is used to add ground clearance. If it were just on the road, then you could lower the bottom of the vehicle, and then either keep the floor at the existing height or even a bit lower, and then have storage space.
Also if it were only FWD then you would also free up all that space by not needing a channel for the driveshaft, but to do so compromises off-roading capability... unless it was electric and then you could have 4WD without the loss of space using wheel mounted motors.

This challenge is also felt when trying to improve things like rear seat positioning, since the tyres/wheel-wells ride right high up into the cabin space and they are transected by the driveshaft tunnel.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or the stupid side clips that the rear window cross-bar attaches to, which you don't find one year, go out and buy, and then find the following winter so now you have 2 pairs for $35.

It's not the money it's just knowing... that I put them somewhere with all this other soft top stuff in ziplock bags taped to the bars... and then finding them once the season is over. :angry:

Now everything (including the spare clip) goes in an old sectioned tool box tied to the soft top supports so that it's all or none!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just put the screws back in or left the bracket on the roll bar all winter. The top just hooks to the bracket first for the 13-17 tops.
I need to go back out and look at that, as I can't visualize it, and those are a pain to get back in even with help (just cause they're finicky threads under tension if the top is even slightly off in two people's support), so if they can be retained an easily secured, may need to try that.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Thinking the top sides - rails - and the rear window surround are essentially fixed. Fabric slides back on top (removable?) and the side windows and rear glass pop off.

Like a thick roll cage, the top rails and rear window loop remain.

Odds are this top comes with a storage bag for the sides and rear glass.

2015-Jeep-Renedate-Trailhawk-17-of-20.jpg
I certainly hope that we get some type of safari top with glass/plexi panels that can be left in as sunroofs, or removed and taken with in cargo area somewhat like pictured in renegade. Even if it means fixed roll cage as frame.

OP
OP

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
The gutter very clearly takes a downward turn. Wonder if it goes all the way down to create a distinctive C pillar/ possibly be separate from rear panel hidden by camo

7AB8EB27-2B7B-42C9-B94B-6F8592A56503.jpeg
Sponsored