Sponsored

Opinions on purchasing 2017 JKU or wait on JLU

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
A 2018 Jk will immediately be 'the old jeep model'.
I believe the term people have been using is “Classic” Jeep model.

At least the snooty TJ owners can finally move to the JK and complain about all the JL owners not respecting tradition and not being worthy of a wave. :giggle:
Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
As a former owner of fantasic 1999 Cherokee XJ. I got tired of always explaining that it was a Cherokee and not the Grand Cherokee.

I'd think owners of 2018 JKs (AKA Classic Wranglers) will too tire of the never ending explaining of which model they have. Not just a 2018 Wrangler anymore.

"Oh like the old Wrangler?"
"Yes. Ugh."

Florak

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Ahhh it's the age old decision. Do I wait for the NEW thing which has better features and pay a lot more money for it, or do I settle for the old thing and pay a lot less money for it? Tough choice, very tough. I suppose it comes down to what really matters to the person buying it.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
TJ is a 'Classic"????? Um nope. A CJ is a Classic :angel: and even Hagarty Classic car insurance says so as that is who insures my Jeep.

Can't say I've had any problems with not getting a Jeep wave, granted I get a lot of puzzled looks as there aren't many Cj's ripping around here especially ones that still look like new with all original and probably confusing Laredo decal package. The guys that are old school I usually get a thumbs up from instead of a wave.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nite, you’re missing out on a whole lot of prior subtext there...

JK production was previously rumoured to have continued on as the JK ‘Classic’ for a while after the JL came out, but the anticipation for the JT killed that.

The wave thing is all the people with TJ’s acting snooty about the new JKs and saying they’re all driven by soccer moms and people who don’t understand the heritage, etc and thus justify not waving at JKs out of spite.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Given the 'discounts' that I am seeing on 17's it seems to make more sense to wait a bit and see how the 18's turn out. When I say 'discounts' up here the most I am seeing is $3 -$4,000 off MSRP. Considering FCA is doing 25-30% off Ram 1500's you have to wonder just how much room is really on a Wrangler.

Personally I'd wait, would suck if it turns out the 18 is considerably better and I would suspect we aren't that far away from finding out if they are doing photo shoots for promotion.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nite, you’re missing out on a whole lot of prior subtext there...

JK production was previously rumoured to have continued on as the JK ‘Classic’ for a while after the JL came out, but the anticipation for the JT killed that.

The wave thing is all the people with TJ’s acting snooty about the new JKs and saying they’re all driven by soccer moms and people who don’t understand the heritage, etc and thus justify not waving at JKs out of spite.
First time I've heard of the JK 'Classic' granted I don't get out that much since I retired.....

Well that is really sad then. But oddly I've never experienced that problem perhaps I'm in a happier part of North America? Had plenty of waves from soccer moms in their JKs, er wait maybe it's because I'm topless and sooo (not) handsome? :rock:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Had plenty of waves from soccer moms in their JKs, er wait maybe it's because I'm topless and sooo (not) handsome?
Maybe those aren't waves, but the soccer Mom's trying to cover their eyes? Or shield the kids...

:cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that is really sad then. But oddly I've never experienced that problem perhaps I'm in a happier part of North America?
Yeah, although when I head back east to visit the folks in T.O. or go to the cottage up North I find that I get more blank stares in the south than up north, where I’ll even wave the the rest of the Jeep family in town as there aren’t as many Wranglers at the cottage as there are here in Cow town. :jk:

However from my coast to coast Canada 150 tour this summer and previous trips south, I can say there is no particular region that is more or less Jeep-wave friendly... although there are some parts south of the border I’ve accidentally driven through where I didn’t want to make eye contact with anyone let alone make any hand gestures that might have been misinterpreted...
During the 2013 Stanley Cup in Chicago, I was enjoying the top down drive heading south through the city and beyond in the summer sun after a Bruin win in game 2 the night before when I suddenly realized I wasn’t in Kansas anymore, and should ask the GPS where I was and how to leave ASAP. That was not fun in a relatively new Dozer Yellow Rubicon that just drew attention to itself.

Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe those aren't waves, but the soccer Mom's trying to cover their eyes? Or shield the kids...

:cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:
That thought did cross my mind!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm swimming against the current on this, but if you want Base, stick with your JKs for the Teething Year. That's the first year of Gremlins and Bugs that are guaranteed with a new major Change Launch.
I'm Cheap, I like to build on a Sport; 3:73, air, hardtop for my 2015. Wheels, tires : Rubi Take-Offs. Removed back seat, carpets. BedTred rubber mats. Front and rear hitch receivers. DIY side Jerry Can Carriers, roof racks, grill guard.
I'm the buyer that they don't make much on, for sure ; BUT, my Jeep is the one that gets "Nice Jeep" and Thumbs Up, thats Entry Level Advertising.
Another Caveat is Size; just as the JK is bigger than the TJ, so the JL will be bigger than the JK. This is important to me, the JK has proven to be "just right", don't want that "Bigger is Better" interfering with "purpose".
Again, Speculation is the name of the Game, much will shift into focus when we actually get up close and personal with the Real Thing.
Words will be seasoned, and eaten; opinions will change faster than light, fevered brows will be cooled.
Counting Down...

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Given the 'discounts' that I am seeing on 17's it seems to make more sense to wait a bit and see how the 18's turn out. When I say 'discounts' up here the most I am seeing is $3 -$4,000 off MSRP. Considering FCA is doing 25-30% off Ram 1500's you have to wonder just how much room is really on a Wrangler.

Personally I'd wait, would suck if it turns out the 18 is considerably better and I would suspect we aren't that far away from finding out if they are doing photo shoots for promotion.
Others have noted that when the JKs first came out, the TJs left in stock weren't really that discounted. My 17 JKU I bought this summer was discounted as much as my 13 JKUR I bought in 2012. I can't foresee the last of the JKs going out on clearance.

Cap'nMike

First Name
Cap'n Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, JKUWW
“*** October 2017 - Last chance to order Wrangler JK!! ***

Ordering for the 2018 Wrangler JK will close this month.

Dealers will receive entire allocation for November to end of production in March.

-Milous“

Looks like the guys on the fence won’t get to see the JL reveal before the JK order banks close unfortunately.
I ordered a 2018 JK mostly from financial considerations.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that’s a heck of a development.
Expected that to happen in December to allow for the decision making.

I wonder when the actual last day is.

If Oct 31 then you might catch a glimpse of the JL at SEMA’s OffRoad days on Oct27+ , just a before orders would close , but otherwise that’s just made a bunch of people’s decisions a lot tougher not being able to order after the reveal.
Sponsored