Opinions on purchasing 2017 JKU or wait on JLU

Acb36695

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
This is the exact JKU I was looking to purchase before I found out about the new JLU. Big bear edition, auto, nav, power windows and locks, Etc. What would you offer the dealership that would make it worth not waiting on the JLU? Also it has been on the lot for a while.

upload_2017-8-28_14-32-32.png

upload_2017-8-28_14-28-49.png

upload_2017-8-28_14-29-21.png
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That thing is way overpriced, especially given the fact it doesn't include a hard top. I don't care how popular the Wrangler is.

Granted, I bought mine right at the end of the year when '15s were hitting the lots, but I paid less than that out the door for my '14 JKUR and it came with everything minus the heated leather seats. I'd start at $28k, see if they go down a little from their price, and try to get it for $30k.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I'm struggling here too... there's a JKU Sport that's been sitting on a local dealer's lot forever that I'm tempted to take a pot-shot at.

OP
OP
Acb36695

Acb36695

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
That thing is way overpriced, especially given the fact it doesn't include a hard top. I don't care how popular the Wrangler is.

Granted, I bought mine right at the end of the year when '15s were hitting the lots, but I paid less than that out the door for my '14 JKUR and it came with everything minus the heated leather seats. I'd start at $28k, see if they go down a little from their price, and try to get it for $30k.
I was thinking 27-28k but honestly I wouldnt pay more than 29k for it, I'd just wait on the JLU. I figure at 29k I could probably get around that or maybe more trade in if I decided to get the JLU late next year. Plus alot of the aftermarket parts will be interchangable:turkey:

OP
OP
Acb36695

Acb36695

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
I'm struggling here too... there's a JKU Sport that's been sitting on a local dealer's lot forever that I'm tempted to take a pot-shot at.
It's tough to ride by everyday knowing I could be decking that jeep out!

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plus alot of the aftermarket parts will be interchangable:turkey:
I don't know how accurate this is. When this was originally "announced," it was definitely welcomed news, but the more I look at the changes both inside and out, I don't see a lot of JK stuff fitting on a JL.

OP
OP
Acb36695

Acb36695

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
I don't know how accurate this is. When this was originally "announced," it was definitely welcomed news, but the more I look at the changes both inside and out, I don't see a lot of JK stuff fitting on a JL.
For me it is more, wheels and tires, bumpers, lights, etc. as this is a mall crawler and I wheel my TJ. So I would assume the same lug pattern, if the bumper mounts change I can always weld new ones, and lights will go with the bumpers.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me it is more, wheels and tires, bumpers, lights, etc. as this is a mall crawler and I wheel my TJ. So I would assume the same lug pattern, if the bumper mounts change I can always weld new ones, and lights will go with the bumpers.
Oh, certainly. But when they mentioned a lot of "JK" stuff would work on a JL, it sounded like a lot of OEM and aftermarket stuff specifically designed for the JK would work on a JL. Tires, lights, wheels and what not aren't really vehicle specific. I see JK wheels on TJs, ZJs, WKs, etc. all the time.

But yes, there are already a ton of aftermarket stuff that'll work on a JL right out of the gate.

I was thinking 27-28k but honestly I wouldnt pay more than 29k for it, I'd just wait on the JLU. I figure at 29k I could probably get around that or maybe more trade in if I decided to get the JLU late next year. Plus alot of the aftermarket parts will be interchangable:turkey:
The added markup is partially because of the "appearance package" and the fact you're essentially getting a lot of Sahara options on a Sport. If you've got the $35k to spend, you might as well try to get a similarly equipped Rubicon, even if it's a mall crawler. If anything, it'll up the resale value a smidge.

OP
OP
Acb36695

Acb36695

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
Oh, certainly. But when they mentioned a lot of "JK" stuff would work on a JL, it sounded like a lot of OEM and aftermarket stuff specifically designed for the JK would work on a JL. Tires, lights, wheels and what not aren't really vehicle specific. I see JK wheels on TJs, ZJs, WKs, etc. all the time.

But yes, there are already a ton of aftermarket stuff that'll work on a JL right out of the gate.

The added markup is partially because of the "appearance package" and the fact you're essentially getting a lot of Sahara options on a Sport. If you've got the $35k to spend, you might as well try to get a similarly equipped Rubicon, even if it's a mall crawler. If anything, it'll up the resale value a smidge.

You are right I was very generic in terms, but I contacted the internet manager via email to see if they will play ball through there since its been on the lot for a while. If not Ill happily wait for a new JLU. Thanks for the replies

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I've been struggling with the JK vs. JL thing myself on a daily basis ever since I decided earlier this year that I want to downsize from my current JKU to a JK or JL 2-door. My situation is similar to that of @JaybearWL-- I drive by a Jeep dealer every day on my way to and from work, and the JKs sitting there on the lot call out my name each time I pass by. "Buy me, buy me, I'm getting cheaper by the minute", they say. In particular, they've got a JK Rubicon Recon that's been sitting there all summer, buried in the back of the lot with the advertised price set exactly at MSRP. Recently they moved that Recon to the front of the lot and dropped the advertised price by $4K, indicating that they are ready to move the thing and willing to deal.

It is so damned tempting. Regardless of what the JL brings to the table, the JK is still a great off-roader, and getting a decked-out JK at a really good price would be awesome. But the thing is, I really want a good look at the JL before I decide. By the time that's possible, however, the JK super-deals may all be gone. But I think I need to hold out anyway, just to make sure I don't end up with a huge case of buyer's remorse.

Sponsored

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I've been struggling with the JK vs. JL thing myself on a daily basis ever since I decided earlier this year that I want to downsize from my current JKU to a JK or JL 2-door. My situation is similar to that of @JaybearWL-- I drive by a Jeep dealer every day on my way to and from work, and the JKs sitting there on the lot call out my name each time I pass by. "Buy me, buy me, I'm getting cheaper by the minute", they say. In particular, they've got a JK Rubicon Recon that's been sitting there all summer, buried in the back of the lot with the advertised price set exactly at MSRP. Recently they moved that Recon to the front of the lot and dropped the advertised price by $4K, indicating that they are ready to move the thing and willing to deal.

It is so damned tempting. Regardless of what the JL brings to the table, the JK is still a great off-roader, and getting a decked-out JK at a really good price would be awesome. But the thing is, I really want a good look at the JL before I decide. By the time that's possible, however, the JK super-deals may all be gone. But I think I need to hold out anyway, just to make sure I don't end up with a huge case of buyer's remorse.
Hold out with me brother. Especially with this rumor that the JKs are going to get steeply discounted, I can wait a few months to either save a few thousand or get the latest and greatest.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

I was in the same boat a month ago, but resisted. and will wait. Starting to hedge toward a JT now, which is an even longer wait.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
@JaybearWL and @Billy, my willpower is holding up for the moment, but dang that Recon wants me bad! :)
MMMMM... Recon...

DO NOT DRIVE IT. Unless you're waaay stronger than me!

I can't do it. The JK is end of life and (mainly) under powered. The JL should be noticeably better in power/weight. And for your tens-of-thousands of dollars, wouldn't you rather have the latest and greatest? Besides, there WILL be a deal like that after you've seen the JL, as the JK winds down and dealers want them off their lots.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
MMMMM... Recon...

DO NOT DRIVE IT. Unless you're waaay stronger than me!

I can't do it. The JK is end of life and (mainly) under powered. The JL should be noticeably better in power/weight. And for your tens-of-thousands of dollars, wouldn't you rather have the latest and greatest? Besides, there WILL be a deal like that after you've seen the JL, as the JK winds down and dealers want them off their lots.
I feel like we should start a support group or something.

Fish are friends, not food.

JKs are great, JLs are (hopefully?) greater...
Sponsored