Sponsored

Members old and new -- check in and wave hello!

HeisenbergFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4XE 2021 Infinity QX80
Long time lurker finally made an account.

Loving the site and sure cant wait for the Wrangler Truck.

Have been driving F150s most of my life and my wife always loved SUVs but about 10 years ago I finally talked her into letting us get a Wrangler because I drove them when I was younger and have always loved them.

Needless to say the Wranglers have always been hers and I am still driving my F150, though she never really wanted a Wrangler.

View attachment 991

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Another F150 guy here too :like:

I'm in the reverse situation, i plan on keeping my F150 for a long time and can't justify another pickup to the wife... however if it ends up looking like the Crew Chief 715 i will fight tooth and nail lol

She likes the idea of adding a JL to the stable for some weekend offroading so that is the plan right now.

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT
Vehicle Showcase
New here, looking forward to the new model. Cant decide which one I want more. The truck or the JLU. I just sold my '14 JKU that was a custom order, and before that I Had a '12 JK.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hello all!

My last Jeep was a 1994 YJ I had for seven years.

I have been wanting to get a new Wrangler for a few years but now it looks like the 2019 JLU is going to finally be it. Good things to those who wait I guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RobNY

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Hello!

@HeisenbergFX4 sounds like JT will be perfect for you to combine your love of Wranglers and need for a pickup.

@Limitless did you sell your JKU in anticipation of getting the new gen Wrangler? Sounds like you might have to wait an extra year between the JLU and the JT if you wanted to compare them.

@ThirtyOne the JLU is going to be tons different than the YJ hah. Look forward to hear how they compare.

WhiteVetteC6

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette C6, Cherokee SRT-8, Durango R/T
Hi guys. Joined the forum because we're looking at a Wrangler for my wife as a daily drive and me as a 4x4 weekend toy. We were looking at Rubicons this weekend but decided to wait until the new one comes out. For me, the Jeep is great. Seeing as its a DD for my wife, she is hoping for a newer, updated instrument panel and LED lighting.. something more along the lines of our Durango R/T. I guess we're just sort of hoping the new JL is more up-to-date and modern with regards to interior amenities. The sales guy tells us it probably won't be as true die-hard Jeep fans like it old school. Pretty sure he's just trying to sell us a 2017. Hoping I'm right. Anyways, glad to be aboard. :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Charokee
Hi folks, I've been a member for a while but this is my first post! The super short bio on me: Married w/3 dogs and I've owned 5 Jeep Wranglers. I'll be picking up no' 6 in December '17!

OP
OP
RobNY

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Welcome @047!

And welcome @WhiteVetteC6! The JL is shaping up to have a significant interior upgrade, with the newest uconnect screens, new dash layout and LED lighting. Here's some threads about these if you haven't seen them already.

Verified: LED & Interior/Exterior Lighting Features for 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL)
Verified: 2018 Wrangler JL/JLU Will Get 3 Screen Sizes

Hi guys. Joined the forum because we're looking at a Wrangler for my wife as a daily drive and me as a 4x4 weekend toy. We were looking at Rubicons this weekend but decided to wait until the new one comes out. For me, the Jeep is great. Seeing as its a DD for my wife, she is hoping for a newer, updated instrument panel and LED lighting.. something more along the lines of our Durango R/T. I guess we're just sort of hoping the new JL is more up-to-date and modern with regards to interior amenities. The sales guy tells us it probably won't be as true die-hard Jeep fans like it old school. Pretty sure he's just trying to sell us a 2017. Hoping I'm right. Anyways, glad to be aboard. :)

BHaner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hello from NW Washington state. Been a Jeep owner for 5 years now.

Was looking to upgrade from my current TJ to a diesel 4 door. Still waiting!

JeepSky.jpg

Sponsored

Seumas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Commander Limited
Greetings All --currently on my third Jeep and looking forward to someday getting my hands on a four-door Rubicon, so I'm really interested to see how the JL shapes up... :jk:

Last edited:

woad wunner

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Ford econoline, 2008 PT Cruiser
Hello every one. Never owned a wrangler. Back in the 70's rode in the back of an old cj. While it was fun, I had no desire to own one. Flash forward to 2008, started selling Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles. Long story short, fell in love with the wrangler, and all the things it can do. The JK in 2008 could be ordered with both the soft and hard top and I believe with both half doors and full doors.

I don't know where I would store the hard top when I was using the Soft top, or where I would put the other set of doors (or both sets if going door-less), if I had both full doors, and half doors, but man oh man I think that would be the cats meow for sure. Some day I will have a jeep wrangler, until then it is wonderful to see others and what they do with them, both in customizing and trails, trips taken. Thanks to each and every one that shares their jeeps and adventures!

TommyDuncan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon 2016 Camaro SS 1963 Nova SS Convertible
Hello...
Can't wait to finally see the new design in person!
I'm on my 11th Jeep and, to be honest, I usually meet each new model with skepticism.
The TJ looked nice in 97(96 actually) but didn't knock me out of my CJ7 until 2000, after seeing how easy they made everything look.
The JK was big and slow so I went through 3 TJs before the new motor caught my eye in 2012.
LOVE my loaded 2012' Rubicon and all of the technology that was available at the time.
So...I am super excited about the new design. It appears they are doing things that will reach an even broader market.
As I own nicer cars even the loaded Jeep is getting a little dated. While all of this technology seems really modern for the Wrangler crowd, it really is just catching up with everyone else.
More power is the last thing I am holding out for...

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

I've been a Jeeper since 1990 when I bought my first Jeep, a used 1985 CJ-7. That CJ saw a lot of the Colorado high country, mostly in stock form, and it did its job extremely well. I beat the heck out of it, and only rarely did it complain. Sadly, it eventually met its demise due to repercussions from a naively-engineered 4" lift that I slapped on it back in 1995, but not before it got me thoroughly hooked on Jeeps and off-roading. Since then, I have owned three TJs (a '98 Sahara and a pair of '97 Sports), a Grand Cherokee, another CJ-7 (a 1980, nicely restored by someone else) and a 2014 JKU Sport Freedom Edition. As of now, I still have one of the '97 Sports, the '80 CJ, and the JKU. My oldest son has taken over the TJ, and my younger son is in line for the CJ, once we get a few issues sorted out (the main one being a full roll cage). You can see my boys and their respective Jeeps in my profile photo.

About 13 months ago when I bought the JKU, I thought it would be my "keeper", i.e. the one that I would build up over time for off-roading and drive 'til it drops, or maybe longer. Ever since the JKU first appeared back in '07, I thought: "that's what I really need, a Wrangler with space for all my stuff." I had a plan for building my JKU that was based roughly on a 2016 JKU Rubicon Red Rock that I saw at my local dealer-- 2" lift, 35s, Mopar steel bumpers, winch, a re-gear down to 4.11 or maybe 4.56, with a limited-slip in the rear, and not much more. I like doing tough trails, but nothing extreme, since I'm not a big fan of broken axles and body damage.

After owning the JKU for about a year, however, I've begun to have doubts about it. The extra luggage space is nice, but it comes at a price-- the thing feels extra-long, extra-heavy, and sluggish compared to the short-wheelbase Jeeps I've become accustomed to. Although I've yet to off-road it, mostly because I'm not too keen on off-roading with open diffs, I think I now know why folks tend to build their JKUs so big and gnarly-- you actually _need_ to in order to keep them from getting beat to hell on the trail. That's not my style, I like a Jeep that's nimble and maneuverable like the originals, so I can pick more exact lines and finesse my way up or down, rather than bulldozing over things. This thought led me to go test-drive a new JK two-door at a dealer recently, and boy, what a difference! The two-door felt way peppier, handled much better, and felt way more maneuverable in tight spaces. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the difference was bigger than I expected.

I briefly considered trading my JKU on the spot for a 2017 Rubicon Recon they had on the lot, but then I decided it would be wiser to take a closer look at the upcoming JL and see where that's headed. Although the information is currently a bit sparse, I like what I'm seeing so far. As long as they don't jack the prices too high, I think I'll hold off on the JK and custom-order a JL Rubicon within the next year or so. I think I might wait until next year when they get the production lines in full swing, so I don't end up paying the "scarcity premium" that the dealers are sure to be charging when orders open up this fall.

So here I am, hanging out in the JL Forum. The slow trickle of information from FCA is a bit frustrating, but the wild speculation it leads to in this forum is pretty interesting, and kind of fun, I must admit!

OP
OP
RobNY

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Welcome @BHaner @Seumas @woad wunner @TommyDuncan

@MrJeepNut You're a man after my own heart. Nothing beats the chuck-ability of the 2 door :) So I hope they don't increase the JL 2 door's wheelbase. And yea I hope they keep the price the same too. Not as much info on the 2 door yet and definitely not as many photos so far but almost all of the info so far applies to both 2 and 4 door models anyway. Watching the trickle of info and reveals has been fun and has me checking in several times a day.
Sponsored