Sponsored

My theory on power slide top

09jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKUR--Caddy STS
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNu...%26s1=8,827,349%26OS=8,827,349%26RS=8,827,349

I saw this years ago and I didn't understand how it would work. I thought the wind would parachute the rear glass into a flying projectile. I think I now have it figured out.

The new power slider will be the same sliding fabric fixed top like the Liberty.
Under normal circumstances, it will slide all the way to the cargo area.
For a more open air experience, the side windows are removed, the rear glass is flipped, and the slider will stop at the rear passenger area to force a wind buffer for the flipped rear glass.

Did I crack the code, or am I just sick of Thanksgiving and have the turkey sweats?
Sponsored

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I think it will look like using a Volkswagen bus as an example.

227f93f9cc366e1a8ac881c340a40cec.jpeg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The flip over glass requires a double hinge and some type of lock down. Plus the pantent had that lip on the top of the rear of the hard top. The spy shots of what is presumed to be the power top shows a standard hinge and top rear of the hard top. Not to mention that the fabric part would go under the flipped over glass. No glass bumper or tie down in the middle of the roof per the design drawings.

Might be on the sides though. If a design of a hinge that allows this was made, that would be pretty trick.

2018-Wrangler-JL-JLU-Softtop-Hardtop-Powertop-JLWranglerForums1-864x520.jpg

These really don't look it...

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Clear panoramic removable panels are hiding under that black fabric cover, gonna be a nice surprise on Judgement Day ! SO CLOSE !

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Clear panoramic removable panels are hiding under that black fabric cover, gonna be a nice surprise on Judgement Day ! SO CLOSE !
Clear panels on the roof you say?

Must be true - I just read it online today (in your post above)

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Bgs133

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 f150
Just give me a power My Top without the 5k price tag!!

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited
From the looks of the soft top design, you would still have to remove the rear and side windows manually ... which doesn't make sense to me. Putting the top up and down manually takes seconds, it's the side windows that are a pain in the ass.

So, what, you have to get out and remove the side windows and then get back in and push a button to lower the soft top?

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
That's a pic of an actual top? I thought it was simply a pic of a mule with a "loose tarp" put over the real top, to prevent our virgin eyes from seeing it too soon?

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
That's a pic of an actual top? I thought it was simply a pic of a mule with a "loose tarp" put over the real top, to prevent our virgin eyes from seeing it too soon?
Yes. It’s been on this site for quite some time. It has removable side windows (as indicated on the leaked users manual).

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=08827349&IDKey=627564F9B593 &HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%26Sect2=HITOFF%26p=1%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsearch-bool.html%26r=1%26f=G%26l=50%26co1=AND%26d=PTXT%26s1=8,827,349%26OS=8,827,349%26RS=8,827,349

I saw this years ago and I didn't understand how it would work. I thought the wind would parachute the rear glass into a flying projectile. I think I now have it figured out.

The new power slider will be the same sliding fabric fixed top like the Liberty.
Under normal circumstances, it will slide all the way to the cargo area.
For a more open air experience, the side windows are removed, the rear glass is flipped, and the slider will stop at the rear passenger area to force a wind buffer for the flipped rear glass.

Did I crack the code, or am I just sick of Thanksgiving and have the turkey sweats?
I don't see it being much different than the Liberty Sky Slider power sliding top so Jeep has already done this. Obviously the big difference is that you can remove the rear quarter window panels on the JLU.

There is no mention in the 2008 Liberty manual of needing to open or remove the rear tailgate window on the Liberty when opening the Sky Slider so why would it be any different for the JLU?

There is also no mention in the 2018 Wrangler manual of needing to open or remove the rear tailgate window on the JLU either. It does discuss wind buffeting but simply states to open windows or adjust the power top opening to minimize wind buffeting.

It does seem cool that you can open the power sliding top while cruising up to 60 mph.

I wonder if we will see the power sliding top operation during the LA reveal on Wednesday.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
From the looks of the soft top design, you would still have to remove the rear and side windows manually ... which doesn't make sense to me. Putting the top up and down manually takes seconds, it's the side windows that are a pain in the ass.

So, what, you have to get out and remove the side windows and then get back in and push a button to lower the soft top?
It's not a powered soft top, it's a power sliding top. Only the top section slides open like a panoramic sunroof. The rear quarter window panels can be removed if desired, but not necessary.

Jeep Sky Slider on Liberty.

2010-jeep-liberty-renegade-sunroof.jpg