Sponsored

Manual vs Automatic- What will you be ordering?

Which transmission will you be optioning for?

• Total voters

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
The Ape has no Rev Limiter. Every Forum has at least one, easier and less stressful to scroll on down to next post.
Correct, there's always one.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Automatic for me .... I only like manuals in performance cars .... but even now with rev matching dual clutch systems thats even going away. That said if I owned a classic car it would be 100% manual.

Automatics are just easier to deal with as I daily my JKU, and my wife can't drive a manual so its nice for her to be able to drive in the event I want to have a couple of beers.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If the manual is going to be a Tremec, it's gonna be a hard call, because both options are excellent choices. I'm also in the camp that the NSG370 was not a good transmission for the JK. As I've mentioned in other threads, it should have died with the TJ. It's competent enough to get the job done, but it's OLD. It's noisy, it rattles the shifter too much, and there's a 50/50 chance your TOB is either toast or is in some state where it's gonna head that way. It literally feels cheap in a vehicle that averages a $30k or more cost.

This begs the question about how Jeep is gonna handle updating the Wrangler in the future as well. Granted, the Pentastar was a much welcomed update in 2012, but the fact that Jeep is still charging damn near $2,000 for the antiquated UConnect systems they put in the JK that were already outdated when they debuted ten years ago is absolutely insane. Infotainment, technology systems, and even powertrains in automobiles are changing so rapidly, Jeep is going to need to keep up with the times and keep the Wrangler more fresh than a decade at a time.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If the manual is going to be a Tremec, it's gonna be a hard call, because both options are excellent choices. I'm also in the camp that the NSG370 was not a good transmission for the JK. As I've mentioned in other threads, it should have died with the TJ. It's competent enough to get the job done, but it's OLD. It's noisy, it rattles the shifter too much, and there's a 50/50 chance your TOB is either toast or is in some state where it's gonna head that way. It literally feels cheap in a vehicle that averages a $30k or more cost.

This begs the question about how Jeep is gonna handle updating the Wrangler in the future as well. Granted, the Pentastar was a much welcomed update in 2012, but the fact that Jeep is still charging damn near $2,000 for the antiquated UConnect systems they put in the JK that were already outdated when they debuted ten years ago is absolutely insane. Infotainment, technology systems, and even powertrains in automobiles are changing so rapidly, Jeep is going to need to keep up with the times and keep the Wrangler more fresh than a decade at a time.
Since the wrangler has no real competition, jeep can lead us anywhere and the sheep will follow. Fortunately it sounds like jeep is making some good powertrain improvements. Can't wait to see all the specs on what's ahead, especially mpg and towing.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
"Infotainment ?" U-Connect, Technology Systems ? These might ok for an "automobile", BUT a Wrangler is not in that "Focus Group".
Off Road Prowess, Safety ( crash/ rollover) and Durability. That's the Base. People who want all that Tech, have it as an option on higher mark -up models.
The Entry Level has to offer Value, if its not affordable, then it's being Land Rover-ized; good bye Base Fans who still value a capable out-of-the-Box vehicle that can grow with their "economic " accomplishments.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The Uconnect wasn't out of date in the early JK. Overpriced? Yes. Out of date? No. The latest UConnect systems have won awards from auto-tech groups, so I'm not worried at all about the latest gen with the big screen. I'm excited about the off road goodies programmed into it, too, as well as Android auto.

My main desires are a new, strong, modern, tight 6 speed manual fitting of this new Jeep. I'd also love to see it mated to a diesel, and in the first model year, not a year away. I'd have a HARD time waiting an extra year for that new Jeep. In the mean time, my JKU will happily and reliably soldier on! I won't sell it, though. I still live with regrets of selling my 93 YJ back in '03. It was still in excellent shape, albiet with a lot of miles on it.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Like it or not, technology is very much a part of the Wrangler and it'll be even moreso with the JL.

However, I'm not talking about the Wrangler's capabilities. That's a completely different subject. I'm talking about Jeep charging today's prices for technology and mechanical options that are a decade old. Would you pay today's prices for a computer that was made ten years ago? Would you buy a brand new sports car with a decade-old powertrain? Of course you wouldn't.

The manual transmission parallels this argument. The NSG370 has not aged well, was already dated when it was brought over to the JK, is still used today, and still costs the same. Just because it's the Wrangler doesn't mean lack of innovation and minimal under-the-hood refinement are charming.

And yeah, one big reason Jeep gets away with this is because they have no competition. So, bring on the Bronco for whatever it's worth, release a new FJ that is absolutely not that silly concept FT-4X, and I dunno, make a new Chevy Blazer? For what a 2017 Wrangler costs, you're paying a hefty price for a really, really old vehicle.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my opinion, which is more valuable to me than anyone else's. ;)

I've got an 08 JKU Rubi with the manual. I've had it for 113k miles. I LOVE It. The autos are great, and my manual is great. In fact, I'm pretty sure, at least in the JK, the newer auto is a stronger and better transmission than the manual. That said, the old 4 speed was not, again IMO.

The advantage to the manual is that it is more fun for me. Want irrefutable proof? Ask me.

People get pretty silly over these debates. Buy what you want. Buy what makes you happy. That's what I'm going to do.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
People get pretty silly over these debates. Buy what you want. Buy what makes you happy. That's what I'm going to do.
And that's the point really, which is why I'm getting both. No need for people to use old wives' tales to jusify that choice.

For me to WX's point it's not worth the upgrade for a cott vehicle, so the MT is the cheapest 4x4 convertible option, I only added 430 radio to add/unlock backup cam to avoid running over kids and their pets & toys.
I might change my choice if no Auto premium in the JL, but for now good to have a platform to teach the kids on even if it isn't the most refined (well I learned on 70s Rabbit so compared to that it's golden).

To me the manual is actively fun for the first day or two, and then just becomes second nature and don't even notice it once muscle memory takes over.

PS, agree about the 4-speed, I didn't like it on my JKU Sahara, and couldn't wait for both the Pentastar + 5 speed update in the Rubi.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I missed the part where anything was proven to be an "old wives' tale" or not, but I would agree with @DanW that it all comes down to preference. Most folks aren't going to be pondering this thread, or the zillions of others just like it in other forums, as they head to the dealer to buy their new JL. They will have likely formed their opinion long ago, and will stick with their preference, regardless of any magazine articles, wives's tales, irrefutable facts and figures, or forum troll's authoritative declarations. And a few rare birds (and apes) will decline to make a decision either way and go buy both.

But hey, this is a relatively new forum, so aren't we required to have this ages-old debate one more time? @DarthMall, who created this thread must have thought so. Probably did it for the entertainment value! ;) I for one am looking forward to the next go-round of this flame-bait topic in the JM Wrangler Forum! ;)

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess they could always make an authoritative declaration from one year's experience with one variant like yourself. :facepalm:

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess they could always make an authoritative declaration from one year's experience with one variant like yourself. :facepalm:
I've got just a wee bit more than a year's experience with Jeeps. ;) I guess it has escaped you that I currently own more Jeeps than you do, unless there's some you're not listing in your profile.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 3 Jeeps like your profile states you have, I have 2 Wranglers like yours says, and a Grand Cherokee (which I don't put in my as it's a Wrangler forum, but have refrenced many times before). Yet, those aren't the only Jeeps I've owned, nor driven.
Although unlike you, I don't count my dad's Wrangler, the way you seem to include your son's TJ in your profile.

SOoo.. does that mean I have more Jeeps and Wranglers than you?

However, it seems obvious that while we're discussing modern Wrangler transmission, I've had far more experience with the models we're comparing with variations on each (as detailed on the previous page), versus your admittedly limited single year with one variant as you stated earlier in the thread. So I know enough to know they both have their good and bad, and have exerpeinced the differences first hand between engines and even within the same platforms (like the variations on the 5-speed pre-post 2012/2013 and the 6-speed pre-post 2011/2012).

Regardles, you're the one putting forth unsupported theories, so old wife or not the burden of proof is upon you, and you've come nowhere close to that.

You're far less credible than the magazines you imply to have greater authority than.. based on your single year ownership of the transmission and trail anecdotes.

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have 3 Jeeps like your profile states you have, I have 2 Wranglers like yours says, and a Grand Cherokee (which I don't put in my as it's a Wrangler forum, but have refrenced many times before). Yet, those aren't the only Jeeps I've owned, nor driven.
Although unlike you, I don't count my dad's Wrangler, the way you seem to include your son's TJ in your profile.

SOoo.. does that mean I have more Jeeps and Wranglers than you?
I own my son's Wrangler. Do you own your Dad's Wrangler? If so, then you win.

However, it seems obvious that while we're discussing modern Wrangler transmission, I've had far more experience with the models we're comparing with variations on each (as detailed on the previous page), versus your admittedly limited single year with one variant as you stated earlier in the thread. So I know enough to know they both have their good and bad, and have exerpeinced the differences first hand between engines and even within the same platforms (like the variations on the 5-speed pre-post 2012/2013 and the 6-speed pre-post 2011/2012).

Regardles, you're the one putting forth unsupported theories, so old wife or not the burden of proof is upon you, and you've come nowhere close to that.

You're far less credible than the magazines you imply to have greater authority than.. based on your single year ownership of the transmission and trail anecdotes.
In general, simpler designs such as a manual transmission are less prone to failure, longer lasting, and cheaper to repair and replace than more complex designs such as an automatic transmission.

OP
OP
DarthMall

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
I missed the part where anything was proven to be an "old wives' tale" or not, but I would agree with @DanW that it all comes down to preference. Most folks aren't going to be pondering this thread, or the zillions of others just like it in other forums, as they head to the dealer to buy their new JL. They will have likely formed their opinion long ago, and will stick with their preference, regardless of any magazine articles, wives's tales, irrefutable facts and figures, or forum troll's authoritative declarations. And a few rare birds (and apes) will decline to make a decision either way and go buy both.

But hey, this is a relatively new forum, so aren't we required to have this ages-old debate one more time? @DarthMall, who created this thread must have thought so. Probably did it for the entertainment value! ;) I for one am looking forward to the next go-round of this flame-bait topic in the JM Wrangler Forum! ;)

It wasn't my initial intention when I created this thread. I just wanted to see what transmission people were going to be ordering. But I do have to admit it has turned into a pretty entertaining debate.:cwl:
Sponsored