Sponsored

Light Bar Wiring?

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Is anyone familiar with how to install a light bar using the JL's built in auxiliary switches? I know where the aux wiring is by the battery but I'm wondering exactly what mods to make on the Rigid wiring. The light comes with a wiring harness that has a solenoid with 3 wires coming out of it.

1 wire splices into the wires coming out of the LED light itself
1 wire connects to the battery terminals
1 wire connects to the on/off switch that can be installed in the cab which I don't need

I'm guessing I would cut the wire that leads to the battery terminals away from the rest of the harness. Then connect the red terminal that would normally go to the battery to the aux wire I want to use. Ground the black terminal to the Jeep (or to the neg battery terminal). Lastly, splice the other end of the red and black wires to the LED light. Seems to me that the included solenoid is not needed. Does this sound correct?

A picture of the included harness:

IMG_0387.jpg
Sponsored

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
Is anyone familiar with how to install a light bar using the JL's built in auxiliary switches? I know where the aux wiring is by the battery but I'm wondering exactly what mods to make on the Rigid wiring. The light comes with a wiring harness that has a solenoid with 3 wires coming out

1 wire splices into the wires coming out of the LED light itself
1 wire connects to the battery terminals
1 wire connects to the on/off switch that can be installed in the cab which I don't need

I'm guessing I would cut the wire that leads to the battery terminals away from the rest of the harness. Then connect the red terminal that would normally go to the battery to the aux wire I want to use. Ground the black terminal to the Jeep (or to the neg battery terminal). Lastly, splice the other end of the red and black wires to the LED light. Seems to me that the included solenoid is not needed. Does this sound correct?

A picture of the included harness:

IMG_0387.jpg

This is what I did the other night using the rough country kit

“I just installed tonight and can take a pic tomorrow. All I did was cut all the wires from the relay. I plugged the light harness into the lights and then took the two red wires from the lights and and put them together with the Aux wire. Then I took the black wires from the lights and did the same thing by putting them together and found a ground and that’s it. So all I used was the two plugs that go to the lights”

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
This is what I did the other night using the rough country kit

“I just installed tonight and can take a pic tomorrow. All I did was cut all the wires from the relay. I plugged the light harness into the lights and then took the two red wires from the lights and and put them together with the Aux wire. Then I took the black wires from the lights and did the same thing by putting them together and found a ground and that’s it. So all I used was the two plugs that go to the lights”
Got it. That's what I was thinking but didn't want to start cutting up the wiring harness without knowing for sure. Thanks!

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
WHICH AUX LINE? PIC?

Sponsored

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
WHICH AUX LINE? PIC?
There are four that are under the hood if you have the set up with the four aux switches. This is what mine look like yours maybe different.

FB14BBDB-669C-4278-9182-56BA10F3F10C.jpeg

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TY bud.. Im assuming purple it 2? which ones are 40 amp

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
great stuff TY..

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
For Sahara owners, has anyone determined what wires (from the bundle under the hood next to the battery) go to which Aux switch? The Rubi wires are different colors than what I have and my Sahara wires are not labeled. Short of pulling out my tester, I wanted to ask if anyone determined this yet.

Sponsored

jerric.srinav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Supercharged
AC528A73-DC03-4803-9032-F6DD36AC113D.jpeg

this led bar for trucks work under 12V direct current, which is connected to car battery. apart from white or yellow light, it can serve color changing purpose. however, i used it as the high beam headlight for my SUV. the 100 watt led penetrate the fog very well.
Thank you. I will try this on my vehicle

Last edited:

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
i had trouble finding what I believe to be my four aux wires. They were tucked into a nook in the engine and are not the same colors as yours. They were also not labeled with aux 1-4. That said, there are two thicker gauge and two thinner gauge wires. I presume these are they.

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There are four that are under the hood if you have the set up with the four aux switches. This is what mine look like yours maybe different.

FB14BBDB-669C-4278-9182-56BA10F3F10C.jpeg
I'm looking right where those are pictured in my owner's manual to be, but I don't see them. Are they inside a protective plastic box?

Also, what I'm hearing is that I don't need the relay on the light bar wiring because the relay is built into the auxillary switch wiring?

I'm putting an Inspired Engineering Prismatic 14" light bar on the front of my Jeep. I've got it mounted up, but now am working on the wiring. Thanks!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I've now found them, I think. They were tucked and taped up in there. Were yours labeled like that? Mine are wrapped up in tape, if I have the right wires. Are those labels buried under the tape?
Sponsored