Waitin_on_a_JL

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota LX570
So,

For any Jeep insiders out there, what are the chances of a JLU (XL)? More precisely, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on the new JT Scrambler chassis? It seems like a logical evolution of the platform if Jeep is trying to capture market share from Tahoe, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, LX570, etc.

Speaking for myself, I like the aesthetics of the Jeep, the utilitarian nature of the platform, the 'go-anywhere' readiness...but an optional third-row would be stellar and I have a feeling it would be the go-to platform for overlanding if it were to come to fruition.

Any thoughts? Get it out of my head until 2022? I recognize that it would cannibalize some JLU sales in the short term, but I know it would capture market share from the 4Runner, Tahoe, LandCruiser/LX570.

Jeep Engineers! Back to the drawing boards!
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
So,

For any Jeep insiders out there, what are the chances of a JLU (XL)? More precisely, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on the new JT Scrambler chassis? It seems like a logical evolution of the platform if Jeep is trying to capture market share from Tahoe, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, LX570, etc.

Speaking for myself, I like the aesthetics of the Jeep, the utilitarian nature of the platform, the 'go-anywhere' readiness...but an optional third-row would be stellar and I have a feeling it would be the go-to platform for overlanding if it were to come to fruition.

Any thoughts? Get it out of my head until 2022? I recognize that it would cannibalize some JLU sales in the short term, but I know it would capture market share from the 4Runner, Tahoe, LandCruiser/LX570.

Jeep Engineers! Back to the drawing boards!
well, a 4runner is considered a mid-sized suv, a tahoe is a full-size, a land cruiser is full size.... So, the JLU would be a mid sized as well. If you want full sized, I dont think the Wranglers gonna be it. Now when the Grand wagoneer comes out...

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That's a totally logical Evolution, especially since Mr Marchionne has said that a 3rd row seating, luxury "platform" is in Jeeps future.
It would fit right in that JLU/JT range, and challenge the high -end market share.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
If it isn't too long, and has a full length hyperlight pop-up camper option, and another full length memory foam bed in cargo/backseat area when backseat folded down, I'm in.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
That's a totally logical Evolution, especially since Mr Marchionne has said that a 3rd row seating, luxury "platform" is in Jeeps future.
It would fit right in that JLU/JT range, and challenge the high -end market share.
This is the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer that will be built on a Ram 1500 based Chassis.

I do think with the JTU you might see some hardtop conversions with 3rd row seating however.

Sponsored

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
I personally would be all over an affordable 3-row Jeep. The Wagoneer is supposed to compete with Land Rover, which is beyond my price range.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I absolutely think the Wagoneer would sell like hot cakes if it's done correctly. There's so many people out there that want the third row seating without compromising all of the cargo room. But yeah, we're talking $60k+ min, I assume.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I think the "OPEN AIR" is one appeal the wrangler has always offered, but as seen on safari models, "OPEN LIGHT" and "OPEN VISUALS" are another appeal. And on a huge Wrangler XL, the amount of light and visuals for not only the front seat passengers, but two rows of back seat passengers, would be astounding.

I can see this Wrangler XL / Wagoneer appealing to wealthy soccer moms hauling teams around in something more outdoorsy than the other moms, and appealing equally as well as hunters/tour guides, and their guests/documenters on safari, outdoors sightseers, NatGeo type photographers, bands & many other demographics.

So since we might have a hard time getting excited about the many possibilities of Soccer mom wagoneer endeavors, let us imagine what off roaders or hunters might want on a wagoneer...

I, for one, as many of you are sick of hearing, would love for various different options on a JLU or JLUXL, to be offered individually, with the sum of all of them being offered in a "SAFARI" / "DAKAR" / "AFRIKA" models, each having their own dope color schemes, the "AFRICA" model being an awesome combo of drab commando green, blood red, dozer yellow, and black.

Among those factory options on JL/JLU/JLUXL would be:

-Half doors with much lower belt line and taller windows

-Possibly fully transparent safari doors like on JKU safari concept

-Multi-sunroof-panel safari soft top
-Multi-sunroof panel safari hard top
(each with an additional row of sunroof-panel per model (JL/JLU/JLUXL))

-Hollow rear bumper for water storage for long safari/hunting trips

-Extended capacity gas tank

-Dash mountable rifle mounts for hunting/safari with windshield folded down. Some game hunted on safari are too big to hunt with shoulder mount rifles, and would require large caliber that would benefit greatly from mounting on vehicle, and being able to fire from front seats.

Imagine having a stinky jam band tour across Appalachia and the Rockies in a Rasta colored "AFRICA" edition JLUXL, with a gigantic pop-up camper, with all their gear beneath them in the extended cargo area with back seat folded down. Stinky yes, but dope af.

rasta_by_alkhajit.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Waitin_on_a_JL

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota LX570
Enjoying the discussion, thanks to all. And to clarify, I understand the appeal of a 7-seater grand Cherokee/Wagoneer to compete in the luxury space. I would assume FCA would extend that styling from the Cherokee line if that were the case and price point.

Given the added inches from the extended wheel base, I figured the JT frame would be more than enough to accommodate a third row. And from the beginning I was referring to styling more akin to the 70-series overseas Land Cruiser or Defender.

With AEV losing the Brute market, maybe they could focus their efforts *cough*cough on a third row conversion once the JT comes out.

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I have been writing this topic for a while but language was a major handicap.

After all the question is who will buy this large category? Who are the competitors in this large market?
There is no doubt LC200 and LC75 are holding this market.
There is no doubt that the SUV market is good and those who want to buy this category are many, from the United Nations Garages to the armies, the police, the hospitals, to the travelers, and finally to the families and friends.

Wrangler is the only one capable of breaking into this market and competition but after improvements in chassis and more engine options.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
IMHO, the bottom line is just how many of these JLU-XL's are you personally going to commit to buy right now? I mean, would you plunk cash down on Sergio's desk for, say, 5,000 of them?

FCA isn't going go thru the R&D expenses just on the off-chance you might buy only one.

OP
OP

Waitin_on_a_JL

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota LX570
IMHO, the bottom line is just how many of these JLU-XL's are you personally going to commit to buy right now? I mean, would you plunk cash down on Sergio's desk for, say, 5,000 of them?

FCA isn't going go thru the R&D expenses just on the off-chance you might buy only one.
Respectfully, I'm not really sure how this is a constructive addition to the conversation. The same 'R&D expense' argument could be made for literally every new model/iteration of a vehicle.

As the JT Scrambler has shown, if there is enough 'noise' from consumers and aftermarket modifications (ala AEV Brute) then typically FCA and Jeep perk their ears up.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
As the JT Scrambler has shown, if there is enough 'noise' from consumers and aftermarket modifications (ala AEV Brute) then typically FCA and Jeep perk their ears up.
Really, AEV mods are enough? I guess I can expect a Hemi anytime now. :fingerscrossed:

And it didnā€™t happen overnight, with the Mopar J8 Scrambler accesories experiment laying the groundwork, which is easier than extending the full body. Even then it was a change in market that aided that. Pickups are hot, large truck based SUVs not as much, even though 3-row unibody SUVs are popular. Making a bigger JLU-XL is not cheap, and not just spot welding on an extra foot, it would require far more to be added for that extra length, making it a completely new vehicle.

And at the moment production capacity is a question mark, so currently an XL would require firm order, not just ā€˜noiseā€™ to displace capacity.
Now if the JT falls well short of expectations (as Iā€™m equally certain & afraid it will after initial pent-up demand, ala Toy FJ) then there would be an opportunity to use excess capacity on the line thatā€™s already putting bodies on JT frames to put an extended JL-type body on that frame. However, it would still need to justify the R&D, Crash-test, and other associated costs of a new non-derivative model.

Waltā€™s comments also inject some reality into the United Nations and other theoretical implications.
First, the military applications are moot, unless laws have changed they canā€™t produce in the US as a foreign owned company, that issue is what forced Renault to sell Jeepā€™s AM General division which had the Military Jeep replacement become the HMMV outside of the Jeep umbrella.

The UN and others already do use Wranglers, and their foreign upgraded J8 variant, but that market is not a fair one as both Japan and Germany use vehicles donations as a large portions of their UN fiscal commitments. For the same to happen for Jeep, the US need to not only fulfill much of their outstanding dues, but also be OK with giving US tax dollars to an Italian company to make Jeeps in Toledo to give to the UN... none of which seems likely.
Sponsored