JL split folding rear seat

WEEWEE

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FIAT
Hi Guys! Nice being here for the first time. Anyone having information about a JL (2dr) split folding rear seat?
Sponsored

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
It'd be awesome if they did but I doubt Jeep will offer split folding rear seats for the JL. From what I understand the stock JK rear seats only connect on the outside edges of the bed and a split setup would require not only totally different seat design and dimensions but another set of rails and connection points for both rear seats. Possible for a new generation but I don't think enough people are looking for this feature for them to do it.

If you search around you'll see a lot of the aftermarket seats are either too wide or tall to fit in the rear of the JK (although maybe with the JL possibly being bigger it would work?). Here's someone who did a 3-seat (4 optional) split rear seating using the stock front seats. Its nicely done and adds so much more utility.

IMG_15861.jpg
IMG_15823.jpg
IMG_15831.jpg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
It seems that Jeep is offering less for the 2 door models (no Sahara JL), so with the standard split rear on the 4 door, I can't imagine a split for the 2 door being offered.

Cool if they would.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
True. It would not simply be a split seat, like on the 4-door, but it would really need to be two physically independent seats if your goal is to be able to completely remove only one side at a time.

The alternative would be single piece bottom, with only the back split. I don't know how much utility that would give buyers.

I would be happy if Jeep would allow US buyers to have the reclining, heated, rear seat of the export 4-doors. :fingerscrossed:

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Wha????

Why do they get all the cool stuff?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Solution Inflatable Rear Seats !! :champagne:

Comfier than the current JK(U) rear seats, and completely removable when carrying gear, and perfect to use facing the other way with the top off when tailgating. :like:

IMG_1297.JPG

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Oddly enough.. when doing a quick Google search for that image above I did find actual inflatable car seats, which seems like they would help when off-roading on the bumps if you put them over existing seats, except for those of us already brushing the roofline whom my now need to crane our necks... or... more reason to go topless. :sun:

Might also make the rear comfier for kids/passengers for extended trips if not making seat-belts too loose / ineffective.

Already use the gel ones up front, but these seems to offer even more cushioning, and tilt rear seat position a bit more which may help.

Hmmmmm..... may have to try some next summer. :idea:

IMG_1294.JPG

OP
OP

WEEWEE

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FIAT
I find it very surprising that Jeep does not foresee any flexibility in the layout of the JL (on what we think we know today). If more space is needed, they would send you to the JLU. Not everyone wants a bigger car. Wrangler owners are not always in the fields, and when you need to go into town the size counts, especially in Europe. Most manufacturers are very attentive to the space flexibility of their small cars. Folding the rear seat back in two parts does not require a Space X technology. And it would change everything if, for example, three people are on board. Okay, okay, JLU has plenty of space and folding rear seats :-/// wtf
Ladies and gentlemen, the flexibility has been awarded. And the winner is ... the big car.
What's wrong with Jeep?

OP
OP

WEEWEE

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FIAT
In this picture, the interest of the thing is obvious.
Untitled.jpg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Haven't seen that rear seat sold in years...Good design.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I would rather see Jeep borrow from its Indian cousin, the Thar, and have dual facing rear seats as an option.

thar9.jpg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I dig that too. But...Looks like fun in a front impact accident. Then again, it's India.

RaiGUxd.jpg

Got to love the effort and the fact that the folks look so happy. God bless them.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It'd be awesome if they did but I doubt Jeep will offer split folding rear seats for the JL. From what I understand the stock JK rear seats only connect on the outside edges of the bed and a split setup would require not only totally different seat design and dimensions but another set of rails and connection points for both rear seats. Possible for a new generation but I don't think enough people are looking for this feature for them to do it.

If you search around you'll see a lot of the aftermarket seats are either too wide or tall to fit in the rear of the JK (although maybe with the JL possibly being bigger it would work?). Here's someone who did a 3-seat (4 optional) split rear seating using the stock front seats. Its nicely done and adds so much more utility.

IMG_15861.jpg
IMG_15823.jpg
IMG_15831.jpg
That would work awesome... if your legs were amputated.