Sponsored

JLU soft top spied!

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
LOL. I'm not being ridiculous. It hasn't happened in 75+ years of Jeeps with soft tops, and I don't see it happening now. Not from Jeep, not from the aftermarket.
the rear windows and back windshield are made from clear vinyl, and they seem to function plenty well, no ? Stands to reason you could put a few clear vinyl sunroofs in just the same.

And I would say you are being ridiculous. It's like when someone innovative asks another person in a firm "why do we do it this way?" And the response is "we've always done it this way"

It's long overdue, and the market demographics for these vehicles is at its largest and most open in history in 2017, so ....... welcome to the ways of innovation and progress, you old farts !
Sponsored

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2015 200S AWD
the rear windows and back windshield are made from clear vinyl, and they seem to function plenty well, no ? Stands to reason you could put a few clear vinyl sunroofs in just the same.

And I would say you are being ridiculous. It's like when someone innovative asks another person in a firm "why do we do it this way?" And the response is "we've always done it this way"

It's long overdue, and the market demographics for these vehicles is at its largest and most open in history in 2017, so ....... welcome to the ways of innovation and progress, you old farts !
You obviously don't work in the automotive business. I have for 25+ years. It's run by old farts and bean counters.

Have you ever owned a soft top Jeep? That vinyl doesn't "fold" very well. Not going to happen on the top portion.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Personally I'm not a fan of sunroofs, it lets in loads of heat with none of the open air feel, and like others have said it will add weight and cost (both to buy and to replace). Clear panels also has the potential to make it tougher to remove as that portion by nature cannot bend.

If they do it right you won't need a sunroof. Make the whole top easy to take on and off in minutes and you have the best of both worlds.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
If they do it right you won't need a sunroof. Make the whole top easy to take on and off in minutes and you have the best of both worlds.
if I want sun to shine in on (and heat up) my interior, during our cold winters here in chicago, I don't want to take my top off.

We have fairly long summers when I will go topless, but I want sunshine beaming in, every day I can get it.

Sponsored

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
I'm willing to bet that it looks a lot like the "Trektop Pro" under there, with a "halo". My theory is that the Trektop Pro was a proof of concept for a frame-based soft top.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU soft top spied! {filename}

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
I'm willing to bet that it looks a lot like the "Trektop Pro" under there, with a "halo". My theory is that the Trektop Pro was a proof of concept for a frame-based soft top.
I hope you're right, and coming from Bestop it is possible. If they work closely with Jeep on the JL roof, we could see something very similar.

It's the best of all worlds - quick fold over top half for half-open air, sliding rear side panel windows for safari configuration, a trunk that's as easily accessible as the hard top, rear defroster and wipers. It's the only soft top I've considered dropping big money on and at $1500 a pop that's some good value we would be getting.

If you guys haven't seen it you should check out their video. Gets me excited hoping this is the next JL soft top.

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
The down side of course being that there's no quick and easy way to go naked. I'm thinking 3 top options - hard top, traditional soft top, and hybrid soft top. On Reddit, a fairly reliable inside source said that the JL will still have a traditional soft top.

Sponsored

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
The down side of course being that there's no quick and easy way to go naked. I'm thinking 3 top options - hard top, traditional soft top, and hybrid soft top. On Reddit, a fairly reliable inside source said that the JL will still have a traditional soft top.
The Trektop version being the "hybrid" I assume? I'm not sure how many would opt for a traditional soft top over this. Yes you can't go fully convertible as easily but for 90% of use it is an easier and better design. What would be really nice is to see an easily swappable hard/soft top.

JBlackoutK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU soft top spied! {filename}
It's a decent design if there has to be a full frame, but you can see from that image just how much more restrictive it is over the sports bar. It goes from a Jeep to a SUV with that minor change. The two pillars that form the rear window would just kill it for me if it were a permanent fixture.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
If this comes directly from JEEP that frame would be where it is in a traditional SUV. Goodbye sport bar and no open air rear end. Not a fan, they need to do better and if they are working with the OEM i think they will.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
A traditional factory soft top is still needed and I will be satisfied if they can just improve fit and finish, preferably making the standard soft top more like the Premium Soft Top option available for the current Rubi which keeps the interior quieter and cooler (and I imagine more insulated for those in colder climates).

Leave the hybrid hard/soft top versions to the aftermarket. It would be a mistake to design the OEM soft top like the Trektop Pro IMO as most people who choose the rag top do so for its simplicity and ease of removal.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I for one would like a JLU with clear untainted glass all around, including a soft top with real glass side and rear windows, and only using clear vinyl for a foldable panoramic sunroof panel/(s). And make it fit in back cargo area, when all folded up around real glass portions.
Sponsored