Sponsored

JL Roof

94grt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon
I bet the solid roof structure will help quell death wobble quite a bit. Hopefully there's a built in storage system as well. Would really help increase the level of practicality.
Agreed it should definitely decrease NVH but I think the question most of us who go wheeling and love the total open air feel is at what cost?

Daily driving will be more pleasant but I wonder what motivated the decision to go with a solid roof structure. It's not like people aren't buying Wranglers in droves despite all of the on road noise and wobble. FCA seems very cautious not to mess with the design knowing a conservative refresh is less risky when dealing with such a successful design but then they go and change the one thing that makes the Wrangler totally unique?
Sponsored

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Agreed it should definitely decrease NVH but I think the question most of us who go wheeling and love the total open air feel is at what cost?

Daily driving will be more pleasant but I wonder what motivated the decision to go with a solid roof structure. It's not like people aren't buying Wranglers in droves despite all of the on road noise and wobble. FCA seems very cautious not to mess with the design knowing a conservative refresh is less risky when dealing with such a successful design but then they go and change the one thing that makes the Wrangler totally unique?
Here's why....

The reason why Wranger may not be able to remain in its current form is because NHTSA (the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) may change its rules. Currently, there is a “convertible exception” in FMVSS 216 which allows open-top cars to resist less force than other vehicles.

Given the trend of ever-increasing mandated safety, NHTSA may require extra strength in the A-pillar during the long design life of the next Wrangler. This does not mean that the Wrangler will need to go to a fixed, steel-skinned roof like the Cherokee, but it does mean major changes will be needed — if the rules change.
More here: http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wrangler/future/convertible.html

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
Wouldn't the easy solution be to bolster the pillars and go with a bunch of aluminum in the body to counteract the added weight. seems like it would cost less (and piss off fewer people) than redesigning the top to have a fixed steel roof.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Wouldn't the easy solution be to bolster the pillars and go with a bunch of aluminum in the body to counteract the added weight. seems like it would cost less (and piss off fewer people) than redesigning the top to have a fixed steel roof.
Maybe bolstering the existing pillars doesn't get us to the required strength and only a fixed steel roof meets the latest requirements?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Spoke with a dealer employee who's seen it already. He said there will be multiple configurations for roof structure, but that removable doors are out due to safety regulations...

mzq6m.jpg

Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Spoke with a dealer employee who's seen it already. He said there will be multiple configurations for roof structure, but that removable doors are out due to safety regulations...

mzq6m.jpg
This is the first I've heard of this. I really hope that's not true, taking the doors of is one of my favorite features.

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase

mzq6m.jpg
Link to the regulation?

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
First the roof, now this. I would also like to know what regulations. Is it just the lack of traditional hinges?

OP
OP
JKguy

JKguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU Rubicon, '03 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, 1995 YJ Laredo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I really doubt the doors will be traditional automotive doors. They will most likely stay removable. I also highly doubt that dealer employee saw it. Seriously, they keep this kind of stuff under heavy wraps until the official unveiling. Only the engineers and high level executives would know this. What safety regulation is it? I would really like to know.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Likely side impact, but I'm just going by what he told me. He seemed straight up, and very knowledgeable too.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport

mzq6m.jpg
Dude was likely just under the assumption, that he could sucker you into buying a JK/JKU, instead of waiting, with that vicious lie.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I learned a long time ago.. aint no dealer employee that knows anything about future vehicles, least of all something the manufacturer is still testing and keeping under camo. Even Toledo plant workers don't get to see that. Some insiders may be able to tell you a few details about the engine or suspension but the last thing they get to do is get a peek at the design.

He probably saw a bunch of rumors online and filled in the blanks with his own speculation.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Dude was likely just under the assumption, that he could sucker you into buying a JK/JKU, instead of waiting, with that vicious lie.
We were not at the dealership, he is not in sales, just 2 Jeep guys chatting.
Sponsored