Sponsored

JL/JLU Wrangler 2.0L Turbo Gets 368 HP (Source: FCA docs to NHTSA)!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not quite, the GM 4.3L Ecotec3 in the Silverado would be far less dense, at the same HP as the Wrangler’s 3.6 (not even the Ram’s 3.6).

It’s also just as power dense as the Tacoma’s recently refreshed 3.5L and that’s with Toyota using Direct & Port Injection.

For a 7 year old engine it does OK, not spectacular. Sure if you compare it to recent refreshes, like Ford who’s been refreshing their engines pretty much every weekend because they kinda had to (especially the Ecobusts), then yeah it’s gonna lose by comparison. But remember that the 3.5L the 3.3 is based on still exists in a lot of current Ford products outting out 280HP, so keeping it close to Pentastar numbers when not tweaked.

Not saying it’s going to win Ward’s top V6 again, but it’s still about as far from worst as it is from the best.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bearded_Dragon

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
who know's it could be a way of phasing out the old pentastar
Very well could be. Comparing 3.6l graphs vs this AMG45 2.0 shows it kills the 3.6 pretty much everywhere., I could see Jeep killing the 3.6l in a few years.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the guys calling 368hp from a 2.0 turbo bullshit, AMG has had an engine very close to that...
However comparing an AMG Merc to a Wrangler seems like more than a stretch.

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
For the guys calling 368hp from a 2.0 turbo bullshit, AMG has had an engine very close to that. 375hp, 350tq from 2250-5000 rpm, 22mpg city, 28 hwy in this AMG with a 7 speed auto. Check out specs:
The 2.0 Merc engine actually produces over 400 hp in the new EU spec 45 AMG cars, so hurricane figures certainly are possible even though I have to agree that it does seem quite high and not very logical with the pentastar then appearing to be useless.

OP
OP
Bearded_Dragon

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
However comparing an AMG Merc to a Wrangler seems like more than a stretch.
My post was to address people who said there's no way any 2.0 turbo could make more than 250ish hp. $50k AMG, $50k Wrangler, both are 4 door SUV and they could be considered to be in the same market.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My post was to address people who said there's no way any 2.0 turbo could make more than 250ish hp. $50k AMG, $50k AMG, they could be considered to be in the same market.
~$27K Wrangler JL is getting the Hurricane too, not just a JLU Rubicon/Recon.
So compared to an AMG SUV that starts at $50,600 before adding any options that can take it well over $70K+ is not the same market.. not by a long shot.

Again, sure it’s possible, just not probable for many reasons; and using an AMG to counter that belief seems like a big stretch.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Since the 368 number for the 2.0 is obviously bullshit, it stands to reason that the 285 number for the 3.6 is also bullshit.
So you think FCA sent NHTSA, a government agency, fake numbers... to what end exactly? Because they knew some Jeep enthusiasts would find this document and they could then all have a big laugh at our expense? I don't understand. And if it's a typo which it very well might be , it's extremely unlikely they typed up both HP figures incorrectly.

OP
OP
Bearded_Dragon

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
~$27K Wrangler JL is getting the Hurricane too, not just a JLU Rubicon/Recon.
So compared to an AMG SUV that starts at $50,600 before adding any options that can take it well over $70K+ is not the same market.. not by a long shot.

Again, sure it’s possible, just not probable for many reasons; and using an AMG to counter that belief seems like a big stretch.
Nobody looking to spend $50k for an SUV isn't going to consider a Wrangler. You're right, as always.

OP
OP
Bearded_Dragon

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
The 2.0 Merc engine actually produces over 400 hp in the new EU spec 45 AMG cars, so hurricane figures certainly are possible even though I have to agree that it does seem quite high and not very logical with the pentastar then appearing to be useless.
400hp would be nice in a Wrangler. :)

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nobody looking to spend $50k for an SUV isn't going to consider a Wrangler. You're right, as always.
Yeah, and anyone looking for hyper-tuned AMG performance is going to immediately think of the Wrangler too, for those awesome 0-60 times. :cwl:

Also, remind me again where the ‘Concierge Service’ option is for the Wrangler on Jeep.com , musta missed it while they update for the 2018s.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I am not sure if there is a correlation here, because I am kind of a moron, but assuming those numbers being reported are accurate, is it a recipe for disaster putting that much power into a vehicle with higher risk of rollover?

And I don't think this makes the pentastar obsolete at all, depended upon the upcharge for this 2.0. There are people out there who buy wrangler's I am sure for the open air in the summer / 4wd capabilities in the winter who would be perfectly content with the pentastar. As stated many times on this forum, wrangler's are getting a bit pricy, and some people will simply not be able to afford or want to pay for that additional power, so this is a way to market to many different types of buyers.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
???? Seriously? Man, people will be lowering their Wranglers, bolting on body kits and adding spoilers with that kind of hp lol. (Just kidding, just kidding...)
Have to rethink my priorities now...
Perhaps a Wrangler Demon? With skinny front tires that can pull a wheelie? ;^)

Oh wait didn't they do something like that with the YJ Renegade, granted this one looks cool..

5747585261_24b4fb02ab_b.jpg

XFinn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Lexus NX 200t
Keep dreaming. 368 hp from a 2 liter turbo four cylinder in a Jeep is impossible.
Yeah, but for about twelve minutes this news rocked my world. Then common sense overtook me, reality set in, and, you all know how this story ends...:brokenhearted::crying::computerrage:. Kinda like when Julia Roberts smiled at me in the airport!!!
Sponsored