Sponsored

JL/JLU Wrangler 2.0L Turbo Gets 368 HP (Source: FCA docs to NHTSA)!

Arcoril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
991 C2S, AP2 S2000, B9 A4
I've never driven a turbo I liked. Can you say turbo lag? I put the pedal to the metal on turbo cars and sometimes they respond instantly and other times times not, WTF? Has any manufacturer solved this deficiency? I think not, because if so, everything would be turbo. Personally I would take the diesel over the turbo. I will go with the Pentastar.
Turbo lag isn't nearly as dramatic as it used to be but the advancements have mainly been seen in performance cars. A lot of manufacturers have shortened the manifolds leading to the turbos. There are "hot V" engines that place the turbos between the cylinders to minimize the exhaust piping. Some manufacturers like Porsche use VTG (variable turbine geometry) turbos that can change the inlet flow to increase response at low RPM and maximize boost at high RPM. So yes, turbo technology has come a long way but lag reduction has really only been a priority in high-performance engines.
Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I've never driven a turbo I liked. Can you say turbo lag? I put the pedal to the metal on turbo cars and sometimes they respond instantly and other times not, WTF? Has any manufacturer solved this deficiency? I think not, because if so, everything would be turbo. Personally I would take the diesel over the turbo. I will go with the Pentastar.[/QUOTE

I've had many fast cars Hellcat, gt500kr GT500 Shelby GT Etc but my 2004 WRX Impreza was one of the funnest cars I've ever driven

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
You know the diesel IS turbo, right?
No I didn't. :) but I don't see myself buying a diesel. Cost of entry too high vs. payback and I'm not a rockcrawler. I'll stick with the Pentastar pending reviews of the performance of the gas turbo 2.0L. If the turbo is so great, why offer the Pentastar?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I've never driven a turbo I liked. Can you say turbo lag? I put the pedal to the metal on turbo cars and sometimes they respond instantly and other times not, WTF? Has any manufacturer solved this deficiency?
Yeah, but with more expensive/exotic solutions than the Wrangler will get, like multiple turbos, or electrically assisted turbos that spin-up on battery power first then exhaust. However even with these there is lag, but it’s very small.

The twin-scroll the Hurricane will get is OK, but it will still take a second or two to fully engage, unless you rev it high before launch, which has its own drawbacks.

Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
So if you didn't want to spend the extra $2,500 on the turbo engine

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
How true can this really be though??

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
We won't really know for about 54 days...

Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Why post documents that are not confirmed then

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If I were to dream of a hurricane engine I would never dream of it!

maserati and Ferrari have jointly manufactured two engines rated between 250/275 HP
Similar to the Hurricane Diesel engine that means that Wrangler will sweep the market with all the strength and stability.

I wish everyone a bright and beautiful morning.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
How true can this really be though??
Simultaneously VERY unlikely and VERY possible...

My take is not very probable... but would like to be mistaken and nice to see.