Sponsored

JL/JLU Wrangler 2.0L Turbo Gets 368 HP (Source: FCA docs to NHTSA)!

Summit64

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 chevy c10, 11 challenger rt, 17 mitsubishi, 15 caravan, 13 harley iron
Try a new GTI. It changed my mind about turbos, wow.
Sponsored

Summit64

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This would make the Hurricane the second most powerful V4 on the market, right behind Mercedes AMG CLA/GLA 45.
It's going to be way to expensive for the average guy if it has that much HP. HP = $$$$$

Summit64

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really hope your right on the 285
Your all forgetting about the 8 speed auto. It should make the 285 pentastar feel and pull like 310-330 hp. Better gearing in this new transmission.

Summit64

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure if there is a correlation here, because I am kind of a moron, but assuming those numbers being reported are accurate, is it a recipe for disaster putting that much power into a vehicle with higher risk of rollover?

And I don't think this makes the pentastar obsolete at all, depended upon the upcharge for this 2.0. There are people out there who buy wrangler's I am sure for the open air in the summer / 4wd capabilities in the winter who would be perfectly content with the pentastar. As stated many times on this forum, wrangler's are getting a bit pricy, and some people will simply not be able to afford or want to pay for that additional power, so this is a way to market to many different types of buyers.
I agree:like:

Sponsored

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
forced induction makes more torque @ lower RPM's generally, turbos use wasted exhaust to run them on the cheap, superchargers make torque almost instantly but are not as efficient. todays DI is a game changer allowing more boost earlier with a properly sized turbo + tuning yesterdays lag is almost non-existent especially with a manual tranny. you can make bigger hp with a bigger turbo but at the expense of torque + drivability!!!

Mspeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
military jeeps
If the number is true, I'm starting to think it's not all from the gas engine.
Could the BSG (belt starter generator) be factoring into the overall ā€˜peakā€™ HP rating ?
A bit confusing; not envisioning the BSG adding more at higher RPMs where peak HP occurs.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Try a new GTI. It changed my mind about turbos, wow.
Yes but even the top Golf R and with all VW's turbo experience they only get around 300 hp from their highly tuned 2.0. I don't like paying for premium gas either. Unfortunately my toy (2010 Camaro SS) needs premium and it runs around $3-$3.25 a gallon in the Western WA area.

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
Your all forgetting about the 8 speed auto. It should make the 285 pentastar feel and pull like 310-330 hp. Better gearing in this new transmission.
This. The current automatic transmission is gonna feel ancient compared to the new 8 speed auto. And the new 8 speed will also make the Pentastar feel like a new engine despite having same HP as now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This. The current automatic transmission is gonna feel ancient compared to the new 8 speed auto. And the new 8 speed will also make the Pentastar feel like a new engine despite having same HP as now.
Remember, too, a published 14% increase in torque between 1,000 and 3,000rpms, right where it is most used. That should be a noticeable gain, too.

Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
Hey, most of us are on our computers in the privacy of our homes. Fantasizing is natural for those conditions!

Joking aside, where is the irresponsibility in it? What harm does it do? FCA started it in an official document. That's like Taylor Swift looking right at you and winking, in the flesh! That's a little more real than fantasy, don't you think?

Besides, Hondas hot little 2.0 in the souped up Civic was described, by Motor Trend, I think, as being underrated on paper. They said it probably more likely puts out 350hp, in reality. So, I think it is possible. We'll find out soon, so hearts may be breaking, or they might be soaring. The suspense is half the fun!
Mmmmmm..
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU Wrangler 2.0L Turbo Gets 368 HP (Source: FCA docs to NHTSA)! {filename}

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Very few are saying itā€™s not possible.

Now, on the other hand NOT probable / plausible / likely / sensible / cheap....

I believe this number is incorrect as much as you believe the Wrangler will never get itā€™s better-fit Hemi ; both are equally ā€˜possibleā€™ as they are improbable.
The difference is the Wrangler will never get a Hemi because a lead engineer said it will never get a Hemi, and he listed several reasons why it's not possible and will never happen. The folks saying the Hurricane cannot possibly have 368 total horsepower are only saying so because they haven't seen it before. Big difference.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The difference is the Wrangler will never get a Hemi because a lead engineer said it will never get a Hemi, and he listed several reasons why it's not possible and will never happen.
This lead engineer never published these statements that people can reference, and even if accurate they were about a Jk not JL and while a pain, even then it was also ā€˜possibleā€™ yet extremely unlikely, just like the Wrangler getting the second most power dense engine in production... possible, just extremely unlikely.

Also, I see your unsourced mystery engineer, with Road & Trackā€™s sources saying itā€™s Hogwash;
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...angler-four-cylinder-turbo-engine-horsepower/

The folks saying the Hurricane cannot possibly have 368 total horsepower are only saying so because they haven't seen it before. Big difference.
Yet weā€™ve actually seen Hemi Wranglers, even built by FCA , so yes the advantage is with something that exists and makes sense over something that is wishful thinking.

Even goes againt the concept of what the Wrangler is & does, and has no driving force to get, versus say a Challenger whose direct competition actually already have potent turbo4s on the market. Heck even the Chrysler 300 would be a better candidate for such an engine than the Wrangler. The Wrangler doesnā€™t need it for function, the diesel was enouh to cover the torque hounds, and if thee role was supposed to be efficiency then a 368HP turbo4 isnā€™t going to help CAFE numbers, or cheap which this ainā€™t. So again not needed to help Wrangler sales and doesnā€™t help Wranglerā€™s biggest pain points (MPG & price).

Possible, just not bloody likely.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Good find, Ape. We can still dream, though! I'm still curious what the output and fuel economy numbers will be with this engine. I'm also now thinking more about what the automatic top will be like, too.

I'm bored off my keester, so it is fun getting bits and pieces of info. In the mean time, I'm sprucing up my JK so she won't feel overshadowed when the JLU eventually shows up.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
This lead engineer never published these statements that people can reference, and even if accurate they were about a Jk not JL and while a pain, even then it was also ā€˜possibleā€™ yet extremely unlikely, just like the Wrangler getting the second most power dense engine in production... possible, just extremely unlikely.

Also, I see your unsourced mystery engineer, with Road & Trackā€™s sources saying itā€™s Hogwash;
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...angler-four-cylinder-turbo-engine-horsepower/
My money is on 287 from turbo four.
Sponsored